Topic: Hammered

No, this is not about a creekside picking session with Topdown, Mekidsmom, and Dirty Ed.  It's about the site getting hammered with spam lately.  I've banned nearly a dozen users in the past two days, which is three or four times as many as I've banned this year up to now. 

Our members have been making it real easy for us moderators to get rid of this spam.  Folks have been hitting that Report button and not responding to the threads.  That is EXACTLY what to do.  If you do respond, we mods are going to wipe out your post along with the spam.  There's no way to avoid that with the software we have.  So it's best to just not respond. 

When you hit that Report button, it creates a report in a special place.  Most of the time, the first thing I do when I log on is to look at that special place to see whether there are any new reports.  If they are in one of my forums (Acoustic and Chat Corner), then I go straight away and delete the thread and ban the user. 

So, thanks members for making it easy for us mods to delete the spam and lower Maxwell's Silver Ban-hammer on the spammers.  It is much appreciated.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by dino48 2014-04-24 00:48:34)

Re: Hammered

None of us want that spam zurf I hit the button when I see a suspected spam. Keep on hammeren. Thank you and the rest of the moderators and I hope the admin is still giving you mods Sour pickles so you can keep your attatude.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Not hammered yet, but I'm working on it!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I don't know about here but one of the forums I help moderate has been getting pounded from Pakistan lately. I'm usually the first mod to log on in the A.M. and I too break out Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

And you're right. Having the members report spam makes it soooooo much easier to get things cleaned up quickly. smile

I report that crap all the time. Glad to know that it actually gets to you mods and gets handled.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Kudos to all of the Chordie mods for keeping a close eye on this stuff. If these guys really want to advertise here, why don't they contact you and ante up for some advertising space? Do spammers not get the fact that spam drives people AWAY from their offering, rather than draw them to it. It's not only annoying marketing, it's proven by the entire marketing industry to be counter-productive.

topdown wrote:

Not hammered yet, but I'm working on it!

LOL. Have a nice plateful of Spam brand potted meat with your next drink.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

There certainly has been a lot of this spam stuff recently. I want to extend my thanks to the mods for all they do. It was only last week that I became aware of the report feature and how to use it to help drop the hammer down on them.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I second Zurf's big thank you!  Along with showing up in a "special place" on the site for us mods, many of us also receive an email letting us know something has been reported.  Sometimes, when I'm not expecting to visit Chordie I do just because of these emails to see if there's anything I can do to get rid of the spam.  We all hate it.  THANK YOU for helping us out and not replying to the spam in a thread.  It's truly the members that make Chordie's forum what it is!  I don't even like dill or sour pickles, I do it all for you guys!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I actually like spam but not on Chordie I prefer mine with eggs hashbrowns and toast and in scalloped potato's with onion yummy smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I banned six this morning a couple yesterday.
I was unable to delete them as they were in other forums
Just another day at the office.. LOL
Ark

Thanks to all you Caped Crusaders who keep our site safe from Spam. This wouldn't be the great site it is without all of you.

Joe

I'm glad that you were able and willing to hit the eject button on those spammers.  They should be punished by being force-fed a diet of Spam, Spam, Spam  continuously, while hearing the Spam routine from Monty Python.  Now, I bet all of you who read this post won't be able to resist thinking of hat skit and the tune.  smile

Well done all the mods!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

unclejoesband wrote:

I don't know about here but one of the forums I help moderate has been getting pounded from Pakistan lately. I'm usually the first mod to log on in the A.M. and I too break out Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

And you're right. Having the members report spam makes it soooooo much easier to get things cleaned up quickly. smile

Most of the current crop are using Yahoo e-mail names.  I don't know how to tell where those are from, but Mekidsmom is savvy on all that security stuff and probably already has figured out their home addresses and sent flaming bags of horse poop to their doorsteps.

i have a theory that explains all the spam that no one reads or wants.

there are internet companies that pay surfers to plant this muck anywhere they can, it matters not that the forums accross the web are nothing to do with what they are selling or that no one will read it, they just get handed their 30 pieces of silver and they go away happy. when they get banned they just get another email address and do it again.

thanks to all our diligent members who report them, cos if we cant get rid of them then there'll be no room for relevent conversation.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Back in the good old days, I had a little piece of software that would DESTROY hard drives.... Would really like to send a copy back to each and every one of the those spam-holes.  Sadly it resides on a 5.25" floppy somewhere in the archives, and is subject to some sort of legal prosecution (as if it wasn't then?).

I'm thinking that just copying their postings and forwarding it to the company that they are representing with some sort of "Thanks to your Distasteful Marketing Practices, our 465 thousand members WILL NOT be doing ANY business with you!"
might get their attention over time.

Good Job Mods in Hammering the offenders!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Back in the good old days, I had a little piece of software that would DESTROY hard drives.... Would really like to send a copy back to each and every one of the those spam-holes.  Sadly it resides on a 5.25" floppy somewhere in the archives, and is subject to some sort of legal prosecution (as if it wasn't then?).

Back in the day, when web servers weren't quite so robust, I had a little script that did nothing but return valid HTTP headers followed by an endless string of 1s and 0s to malicious crawlers and probes.   They would hook into it, and it would feed them data all day long, eventually filling their own memory buffers to the point where they either crashed or stopped asking.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Zurf wrote:

Most of the current crop are using Yahoo e-mail names.  I don't know how to tell where those are from, but Mekidsmom is savvy on all that security stuff and probably already has figured out their home addresses and sent flaming bags of horse poop to their doorsteps.

I see mostly g-mail.

When someone registers there should be a copy of their IP address. Enter that number ( something like 198.287.42.152) into an Ip address locator and it will tell you where it's coming from.

Follow this link and you can see what your address is and your general location.

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

China, India and Pakistan are the worst offenders.

Bob Cummins mentioned the "Spam" sketch by Monty Python, so I just had to look it up and watch ... whatta hoot! Here it is in case someone hasn't ever seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT … feature=kp

Sheer inspamity!

Thanks TF! I had forgotten how funny Monty Python was, had a great laugh! I think for breakfast I'm gonna have some eggs bacon and spam, ham spam and sausage, spam eggs and spam, spam spam spam spam.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

That was good I also watched "the funniest joke in the world" sketch gave me a chuckle smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Monty Python,so great entertainment at some of its best

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman