Re: New Strat build

Tig that scraped wood guitar looks pretty sharp,nice work.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well the painting is finished but there still remains wet sanding the "fish eyes" out of the finish before I can seal it with polyurethane the wood used to make this guitar was pure crap I experienced this the first time I painted it candy apple must have a short memory I am not exaggerating it took me 6 times to get a finish that was acceptable next time i order a body from Guitarfettish for 50 bucks and save the agony I will start wet sanding tomorrow with 1500 grit and finish with 3000 then coat it that another day of drying so the soonest I can put it back together will be tuesday never again but i had to do it

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Very nice work Tig on that guitar I hope it was easier then mine smile

Russell_Harding wrote:

Well the painting is finished but there still remains wet sanding the "fish eyes" out of the finish before I can seal it with polyurethane the wood used to make this guitar was pure crap I experienced this the first time I painted it candy apple must have a short memory I am not exaggerating it took me 6 times to get a finish that was acceptable next time i order a body from Guitarfettish for 50 bucks and save the agony I will start wet sanding tomorrow with 1500 grit and finish with 3000 then coat it that another day of drying so the soonest I can put it back together will be tuesday never again but i had to do it

Russell red and gray/silver fade much faster then other colors,something too do with the pigmintation of these colors.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Man Russell, when you said that you had to strip it after the "accident".... I cringed.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a good chemical stripper, it's just that the slightest residue (and the wood can absorb stuff that is tough to get out) will raise havoc with your coatings.  I've literally scrubbed things with acetone and mineral spirits, and the best thing I found is lots of good hot water and soap.  You know, just the kind of cleaner that can do nasty things to wood if left too wet for too long. Lots of drying time and then a good sanding and then some kind of sealer.  I used to use RM HP100 for a sealer because it would go over darn near anything including silicone, and was a fast dry waterborne product. Not for anything except solid colors though because it ain't clear.

Satin should look really good, and seems trendy these days in guitar finishes. Looking forward to seeing the finished axe... and of course hearing your results.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Man Russell, when you said that you had to strip it after the "accident".... I cringed.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a good chemical stripper, it's just that the slightest residue (and the wood can absorb stuff that is tough to get out) will raise havoc with your coatings.  I've literally scrubbed things with acetone and mineral spirits, and the best thing I found is lots of good hot water and soap.  You know, just the kind of cleaner that can do nasty things to wood if left too wet for too long. Lots of drying time and then a good sanding and then some kind of sealer.  I used to use RM HP100 for a sealer because it would go over darn near anything including silicone, and was a fast dry waterborne product. Not for anything except solid colors though because it ain't clear.

Satin should look really good, and seems trendy these days in guitar finishes. Looking forward to seeing the finished axe... and of course hearing your results.

Take Care;
Doug

Yes it was a nightmare not once but 5 times I did scrub it with mineral spirits after each strip and then soap and water and sanded it before applying the next primer coat it is dry and I am going to sand it with 1500 grit and finish with 000 steel wool and wipe it clean and leave it no polyurethane if it starts to look bad enough to paint again I will toss it in a burn pile and order a new body enough is enough I should have it back together later today strung and ready for action and i will post photos and provide a link to a new instrumental song I am writing and I will feature all my guitars,bass and rhythm no name yet but i will think of something. I am typing this on my old xp so far so good no virus attacks regards Russ

done
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/10344340_10203900681336180_6424042098461264121_o.jpg

I dropped some hot solder behind the tremolo I will mask it off and touch it up later

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10298847_10203900682456208_6758158777222712817_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1901332_10203900683976246_4422581361735767527_n.jpg

Wow it came out great russell!

dino48 wrote:

Wow it came out great russell!

Thanks dino I did have to do some additional tweeking namely the pickups bottomed out and the pickguard was not fitting well I used a screw driver and small hammer to chizle out a 1/4 inch in three places about two inches wide they fit now this was causing me problems becsuse the low E was ringing on the front pickup also i had to use thicker screws to mount the neck the body is old only one other minor fix in wiring i switched the front pickup and solddered it to the middle this was because the selector switch in the middle was the front pickup not the middle still have to mask off the hardware and spray some of the marks on the finish I may yet use a poly to give it more hardness and protection but it really sounds fantastic so all is well smile

35 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-05-12 11:25:30)

Again, Russel ... amazing work.

The gold hardware looks fantastic with the ivory color ... very classy. So now I'm picturing you performing somewhere in a shiny white satin tux, with a gold vest & tie like Boston Bruin's anthem singer, Rene Rancourt:

http://www.goldandorsmith.com/rene-ranc … fist-pump/

Russel Harding: Dressed to Kill !!!

Wow!!!
Russel, you need to start a custom shop.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Again, Russel ... amazing work.

The gold hardware looks fantastic with the ivory color ... very classy. So now I'm picturing you performing somewhere in a shiny white satin tux, with a gold vest & tie like Boston Bruin's anthem singer, Rene Rancourt:

http://www.goldandorsmith.com/rene-ranc … fist-pump/

Russel Harding: Dressed to Kill !!!

I sent my white tux out to be cleaned lol thanks TM the gold and ivory really do have a classy look it came out the way I pictured it and the hot coils give it a unique sound tons of sustain and subtle flavors its fun to play smile

jackde wrote:

Wow!!!
Russel, you need to start a custom shop.

Glad you like it thanks if I were a little younger a custom shop would be a possibility I devote most of my time to composing and recording and practice the guitars I build are for personal use at this time smile

Russell

What an amazing job - fantastic.  All of your hard work paid off - quality effort = superb product ! Definitely the Beauty Queen of the guitar shop ! smile

Congratulations!   

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

It's beautiful!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

TIGLJK wrote:

Russell

What an amazing job - fantastic.  All of your hard work paid off - quality effort = superb product ! Definitely the Beauty Queen of the guitar shop ! smile

Congratulations!   

Jim

Thanks Jim its a joy to play this is what it sounds like just a tune that came to me late last night so I video tapped it so I wouldn't forget it smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLKNkGifctc

bluejeep wrote:

It's beautiful!

I appreciate your comment and for taking a look Russell smile