Topic: Mandolin

I'm new to the mandolin. Bought a Kay last fall at the flea market; cheap. It's definitely a beginners model. I've been playing it for a few months now. I know most of the basic chords (that Em is a tough one) and I'm learning the scales. I'm thinking I'd like to upgrade a step and I'm looking for a bit of advice from some of you veterans here.

Would this one be a step up or is it just another starter model?

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/msg/4489681427.html

Thanks.

Joe

Re: Mandolin

Howdy Joe,

I would think it would be a bit of a step up..... played an Alvarez guitar many years ago (classical), and it was a well crafted if somewhat "plain Jane" instrument.  You know not a lot of the bling add-ons, but good wood and well finished and set up.  Gifted that one to my sister when I made the jump to steel strings & I think she still has it..... sometimes I get a hankering to pluck gut, and miss it.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I play a stagg electric mandolin which is a starter model but it is very good and sounds great.I lowered the action by filing down the bridge and changed the strings to 9s which made it a whole lot easier to play .it's quite stable and stays in tune we'll costs about 65 pounds on amazon .

I always wanted to learn mandolin but never pushed myself hard enough. Keep us up on your journey

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Joe, Alverez is a step up, they make some nice instruments. I have a Dean mandolin and a Morgan Monroe. The Morgan Monroe came with a nice hard case and it sounds very nice.Both easy on the budget. In the end if it sounds good is easy to play and the cost is right for you then I say buy it. Mandolin is not difficult to play, just a new tuning and chord positions.
Have fun with it.

Joe

Thanks for the replies. smile

Doug, I have an early 80's Alverez 12 string. It's a beautiful piece and plays well, that's why I inquired about it. Only problem I ever had was the high G string breaks often and I could never figure out why. Still does it to this day.

Grah1, I dug around and read some reviews. They are very mixed. From "Love it" all the way down to "I threw it in the trash and bought a XXX".  Not sure what to think.  hmm

Tyson, I've heard of Dean but not MM. I'll look into both tonight.

Being a big fan of the brand, I also looked at the Epi MM30. Crazy mixed reviews on that one too. But it appears that if you get an older one, before production moved to Korea and then China, they're mostly favorable.

In the few months I been playing I've decided I'm going to stick it out and the Kay isn't going to work for me much longer. But I'm not ready to sink $500-$1000 into one. I'm hoping to upgrade with $300 or less

Again, thanks for the info. My quest continues. smile

Sorry. Another question while I'm shopping.

Beside the obvious shape difference, What is the difference between an A and an F? Is it playability, quality or mostly aesthetic?

Joe , I think the only difference is there could be some tone difference's. Also you can get round (Oval) or F-holes on both models which can give tonal differences. Mostly it's preferences in body shape. My first Mandolin was a Maya copy of a Martin. A- style round sound hole, very loud. My Dean and MM both are F-style, Just my preference. My friend had a Fender F-style with factory pickup. The Fender played and sounded good but pickup buzzed and hummed when plugged in. He got rid of that one. There are a lot of good, easy on the budget mandolins out there so enjoy the journey. I play in a band and use my low to mid range mando's  and I always get compliments on how good they sound. My MM is my main mando when I play out. I know you will find one that will fit the bill for you.

Joe

i have a 1969 harmony electric mandolin, made in the usa, does anyone know anything about this mandolin
thanks