Topic: What paint do I use?

Hey...
I was thinking about painting some cool stuff on my guitar, like flames or an eagle, since my guitar is getting a 'well loved' look. So, I was wondering if anyone has done this and what kind of paint did you use, and what did you seal it with?

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7

Re: What paint do I use?

Haven't tried it and don't have any recommendations, but it sounds like it'd be a fun project. Show some pictures of the end result. Russell Harding might have some suggestions.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Like Zurf I haven't done any painting on my guitars,yet. Sometime in the future perhaps. So keep us updated on your project and let us know how it comes out. I'm sure Russell will chime in to help as he has done beautiful work redoing some of his guitars. Good luck Spike!
                                                                                                                                                                                           Dave

I agree Russel is good at painting and would help you.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

IF this is your acoustic, what type of finish is on it? urethane? shellac, epoxy?  here is a good article  abut what will work with what, http://www.diynetwork.com/home-improvem … index.html

but I honestly thing you can use whatever you want.  If you look at the chordi stock pics Chick has a hand painted guitar that looks like craft paint or acrylics with a clear coat over it.  If your going the stencil rout, or complete change rt my favorite all around durable paint is Auto paint.  Duplicolor  has tons of options and large and small cans even touch up colors if you only need a little bit of a color, and then clear coat it a few times to protect what ever art you have.  Remember after you have put all the work into the design,, you do want to protect it.  The more thin layers of C/C the more protection and also more sacrificial layers so you can wet sand it to a deep gloss. 1500 to 2000, to 3000, then some quality rubbing compound (and a easy one that is very good and off the shelf at wall mart or an auto store is Meguiars Ultimate compound )  and polish (Meguiars Ultimate Polish) followed by a good sealer or wax.  and your ax will look fantastic.  I have only scratched the surface here, PM me if you need any more help.

I know your talking an acoustic, but paint is paint.most guitars you  see with a solid finish and artwork is clear coated any way. like say this one  http://www.deanguitars.com/img/bmplayer.jpg

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewforu … dba984cfd3

This is a very good refinishing site with lots of info.

If you're looking to do something pro like in Beamer's pic then you need to find out what finish it has on it now. Most finishes don't play nice together. Nothing sticks to (poly)urethane unless it's sanded to give it bite. Nitro is only compatible with itself. Do your homework and remember that good prep = good finish.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

7 (edited by dino48 2014-06-13 01:09:17)

I agree on the auto paint ,seems alot better then others. I like that guitar Beamer,the flames are good!, but I would put a Wookie from star wars where the skull is! Wookies Rule!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

8 (edited by beamer 2014-06-13 03:17:04)

That is the DEAN Bret Michaels from poison guitar.   I only wish I could create that LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Anther option might be to have a vinyl decal created. These guys can design anything you want on a computer, and use the exact measurements of your guitar as the border so it'll fit. Once it's applied, a clear coat of Varathane Diamond Finish will keep the edges from peeling up.

Now ... if you're doing this to an acoustic, you could very well kill the resonance of the top. A body wrap style of decal would probably only be best for a solid body electric.

Duplicolor. Available at any auto parts store. Easy to work with. Show pictures from beginning to end if you can. When I did a project,I got lots of help from other members here.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I agree with beamer and zguitar do some research before diving in, is this is an acoustic or electric? additional layers of paint effect the resonating quality something to consider. You will have to sand an area to apply paint and clear coat it when it dries with epoxy or some urethane which can be a nightmare if not done correctly but all that said go for it sounds like a cool idea smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

This an acoustic, Russel. Thank ya' all for your responses. I will be looking into how I
should go about this.
                        -Spike

"Milk is best drank out of a blue plastic cup."
"The LORD is my strength and my sheild, my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoices; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:7