1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-07-13 10:48:02)

Topic: 12-String Guitar Review

Finally had a chance to play a 12-string that I've been thinking about, the Ibanez EW 2012 ASE:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/ag_pag … color=CL01

It's an absolutely stunning instrument to look at, so I hoped the sound quality would be equally satisfying. Sad to say, it most certainly isn't. It's a very "tinny" sounding guitar, with almost no bottom-end or depth to the sound. I guess the all-hardwood laminate just doesn't allow for any resonance. It might work okay if plugged in, but stand-alone it's so shrill it almost hurts the ears.

Gotta save some more coin for a solid wood 12-string ... it'll be worth it in the long run.

Re: 12-String Guitar Review

T.F. Taylor has a new 12 string model out. Cost is below a grand and it has a factory ES system. I haven't played one yet but if you get a chance try one out. I have 2 Taylors and I really like them. Just a suggestion.

Joe

Thanks, Joe ...

I tried a Taylor at a local music store, but it was $1600 and well out of my price range. I'd like to stay below $750 taxes included, or there'll be "household concessions" required that I probably won't like! (LOL) There are some solid-top Normans, Seagulls, and Takamines that I like, so it'll probably be one of those.

great looking guitar,too bad it has a tinny sound.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I bought the 6 string version of this a few years ago. It is a very handsome looking guitar and sounds pretty good plugged in. But as you said it's a bit tinny unplugged. I did use it at gigs a few times and it was just ok. I'm thinking of selling or trading it for a Ibanez AEF 1512ent 12 string. Have not played one of these yet but the price looks right! We will see. I have a bad case of GAS for a 12er!
                                                                                                                                                                            Dave

T.F don't know which Taylor you looked . That's into the mid price range. Just looked online at the Taylor 150E. It would fit well into your budget.
Has the ES pickup and gig bag. I'm going to check one out too. I don't need a 12 but you can't have too many guitars.

Joe

TF, Taylor makes a 150E 12 string that has been getting great reviews. Cost is in the $750.00 range. It is still a laminate side - solid front / back guitar. Made in Mexico. Martin also has a 12 string, don't remember the model. that's around $650.00. Yamaha abs Seagull has 12 strings in your price range. Most guitars in this price range will be laminate sides but thats not necessarly a bad thing. The K Yairi DY72 I just bought has laminate sides and it sounds so good I'd put it up against a higher priced 12 string. Very important - look at the sound wood material (front) A Cedar top with Mahogony back (even with laminate sides) will give you a very good sound that yoo would probally like. Tone woods all offer something different for sound.

Nela

Good advice, NELA ... thanks.

The type of woods, especially with a solid top, make all the difference. With that in mind, I ordered a Sigma 12-String yesterday from a local shop. They had the 6-string model in stock, and it sounds very good for an under-$500 guitar.

http://www.sigma-guitars.com/index.php?id=242

Should be here in a week or two, and I'll post a photo once it arrives.

T.F.  Sigma-Oh I forgot about them. I had a Sigma 12 string many years ago and it was a very nice guitar. I've seen their site on the net and have wanted to play a new one for a long time. I think this is a good choice, I think you'll really enjoy it. Congrats !!!!!

Joe

In my opinion Guild makes the best 12 string.  Own a E212; wouldn't trade/sell it for love or money.

Way to go TF that looks real nice! Congrats on your upcoming GAS! Hope she brings many years of joy!
                                                                                                                                                              Dave

TF, good choice. Now as soon as you get the guitar have it set up to a low action. On my 12 string I was given a set of 9 / 42
Ernie Ball Earthwood strings by our local music store and that's what I play. Mine sounds great. Now for a couple of tricks you may be interested in, now or in the future. Install a bone or tqus(sp) nut and saddle. Also think about changing the bridge pins if they are plastic. Do you do or plan on doing a lotta finger picking? On a 12 string guitar all strings are level across the bottom (next to the fret board) a trick a lotta finger pockers use is to miodify their nut and saddle, when changing them to a harder material, is to bring all string level across the top. This gives a better attack for the finger tips. Not all fingerpiclers do this but it may me something you are interested in. Be sure to get you a good quality 12 string capo, a low action and as light a guage strings as you like and she should play very smooth. Also, you may want to tune down a 1/2 or whole step and use the capo to bring back to open tuning. This takes a lotta tension off the guitar when stored. The main thing is to have fun with the 12. I guess we need to start up a thread dedicated to those of us who are playing 12'er now.

NELA

TF the group America always had some 12 string in there songs and they had some Great Hit songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

14 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-07-18 22:14:54)

Well, I opened the wallet this afternoon and bought a 12-string ... finally!

The Sigma I was hoping for was going to take 6-8 weeks for arrival, so I ended up with this Takamine GD30CE-12NAT. It has a solid spruce top, and laminate mahogany back & sides. Sounds real nice, with lots of depth, and the cutaway is a nice feature that I wasn't out to get, but will be useful from time to time. The electronics in it are surprisingly quite decent, and when plugged into the Boss ME-80 effects board, it'll make all kinds of crazy sounds ... way too much fun!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r7d41mR9o_E/U8mYgHV2SkI/AAAAAAAAACA/LSgBOYQFFEs/s720/P7180373.JPG

Always nice to start the weekend with a NGD !!!

Happy NGD. Enjoy.

Joe

Well you switched guitars on me. You'll like the Tak. I play a 6 string and am very happy with it. The on-board electronic's are quite good and sound exceptional when played thru a good acoustic amp. Also, the built in tuner is a plus.

Nela

Congrats TF!  Great looking axe.

Nice looking 12er! Happy New Guitar Day.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I love Takamine guitars! TF, you got a beautiful one there. Happy new guitar day!

Happy NGD!!! That's a fine looking instrument you got.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

21 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-07-22 21:08:48)

Thanks, y'all ... been having a blast with this thing.

There's a patch setting on the Boss board that sounds like a cross between a synthesizer and the brass section of an orchestra, played in a large room. Mixing the 12-string with the electronics is more fun than I ever imagined it could be! For example, I got to fooling around with Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man", and it's almost majestic.

Congrats! and I for one am happy to see that you are not afraid to experiment with your boss! just for fun throw it to a heavy setting it will wail!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks, Beamer ...

You'd sent me an email a couple months ago about the wonderful world of effects, and it certainly opens up some surprises and unforeseen fun. As our old pal Malcolm Reynolds would say:

"I can pretty much guarantee they ain't gonna see this coming."