Topic: First time this summer

For the first time this summer, I took my kayak out and paddled alone.  That means I had to paddle upcurrent for a while, then float back down to fish. 

I am not feeling my age tonight.  I'm feeling at least Topdown's age.  :-) A hot shower, copious quantities of Ben Gay, and bourbon are my recipe for relief.  For clarity, the Ben Gay has been applied topically and the bourbon internally. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: First time this summer

Paddle up-current? That's crazy talk! LOL Hope you at least caught some fish.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I did catch a few fish. Nothing to brag about size wise or quantity wise, but more than I'd have caught from my sofa.

Can you believe I went by two bars on the way home to kick start the recuperation process, and they were both closed! Now THAT's crazy talk. Closed before sunset on a weekend!

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Wow Zurf, you must be getting old! smile

I can't imagine going that long without getting my yak out on a stream.  Due to weather and stream conditions this year has been one of my worst in the last 10 years for doing floats but I've still managed to get out 15 times according to my fishing log. (I've done a couple more paddling floats but I don't count them unless I'm fishing.)

In two weeks I leave for one of my "bucket list" trips.  I'm taking my raft down the lower Salmon and Snake rivers in Idaho/Washington for a 5-day smallmoth fishing/camping float with my son Wes. We'll be doing the "tourist" thing for a week leading up to the float, visiting the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone and Glacier, camping in the Grand Tetons, etc. I just hope I can hold up physically myself.:)

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Zurf ...

Sounds like a great day. We have several fairly slow rivers near here which lend themselves well to the type of fishing you describe. As you know, paddling a kayak upstream isn't really as difficult as it sounds, and it's a great way to pre-scout the holes you want to fish on the way back down. What are you catching? Trout? Smallies?

I bet you'd do it all over again tomorrow if given the chance. I know I would.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Dirty Ed - Sounds like a good trip. I'm sure you'll hold up.

Most of my fishing this year has been teaching kids to fish. I've taken neighborhood kids, my kid's school friends, and my daughter's whole Girl Scout troop. Ten of those kids have caught their first fish ever with me this summer. I've paddled flat water too, but this was my first solo trip to the Potomac. And yeah, Zguitar, I'll be back. I found some real good spots just upstream from a convenient put in.

Zurf wrote:

Dirty Ed - Sounds like a good trip. I'm sure you'll hold up.

Most of my fishing this year has been teaching kids to fish. I've taken neighborhood kids, my kid's school friends, and my daughter's whole Girl Scout troop. Ten of those kids have caught their first fish ever with me this summer. I've paddled flat water too, but this was my first solo trip to the Potomac. And yeah, Zguitar, I'll be back. I found some real good spots just upstream from a convenient put in.

zurf glsd too see that you are teaching younger one's too fish and enjoy the outdoors instead of being inside and on computers etc. I taught my stepsons how too fish and hunt and it was one of the best things I think I ever did. Good luck on the fishing!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Nice! Sounds like you need a little electric motor just for the upstream bit, if that's even possible?!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

My arthritic hips and shoulders were not happy about the paddling, which is a sure sign that I need to do it more often to avoid that sort of lethargy based pain. 

Now that I have discovered the river right current is far, far, far less swift than the river left current, I will cross to the river right THEN paddle up stream, and hopefully I'll be able to get farther up the river to where the bigger fish are.