Topic: My Brother's visit

It's been a few years since I last seen him he was undergoing some treatment for a skin disease and had his implants replaced so he was unable to play his trumpet for almost a year he is 85 yrs. old. he spent most of his life playing in Los Vegas in the showrooms backing up all the big stars with the house band then formed his own dixieland jazz band well his treatment was a success and his new implants healed and he is playing better then ever and was offered an opportunity to form and lead a big band that plays all the old swing music so he's excited about that. One thing I must point out is we come from totally different musical tastes he's into jazz and I more or less like to play rock or blues but we did play together on several occasions in the past. The one thing that never fails to happen when we get together is he has a disturbing habit of one upmanship with regards to cars,homes money he never fails to point out the fact he owns several houses and apartment buildings new cars and makes tons of money in real estate because his wife is a broker he looked at my guitars on the wall and said "where is your Les Paul"? I told him my Douglass was every bit as good he said "yeah but it don't say Gibson on it" and his sound equipment could fill my apartment I had to fight the urge to say what was on my mind and I don't think it would have made any difference anyway but he is my brother and there are not to many years left for both of us I will be 73 in October good lord willing
so I just have to smile and try and enjoy the time we do have and I know this is not a unique situation I am sure other people experience this "family" trait smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: My Brother's visit

the vision of a couple of pensioners rolling around the floor trying to get a better grip made me laugh a bit. though knowing you russ, i wouldnt like to ruffle your feathers too much (or trade punches)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

You are a better man for keeping you cool Russell. Carry on.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

What Pete said. 

Besides, I don't recall you ever frowning much when we've video chatted.  You seem to enjoy your life just fine, and that's what counts as winning in my book.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

So what is he telling you?   You should have married a real estate broker?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

So what is he telling you?   You should have married a real estate broker?

Indirectly I would have to say yes he was touting name brands so I mentioned to him that Gibson and Fender both uses components made in China i dont think he believed me, In all fairness I think he means well so I don't make an issue of it smile

Sounds a bit like my brother Russ. He was 11years older then me and I always thought he talked down to me. I really don't think he meant to but I guess it was an older brother thing and we didn't have much in common.
He passed away a couple years ago and I still don't know what I felt about him.
ark

sounds like my older sister russ, like others above just don't let it get too you. seems we all have a similer problem.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-23 10:11:31)

Atta boy, Russell.

We all know folks who evaluate themselves (and others) by the value and volume of material things possessed. And we are surrounded by media and marketing industries which are geared towards making us believe that's the case. However, their motives are simply to make us dissatisfied with our present situation, with the promise of satisfaction if we get more. Any straight-thinking person knows that "stuff" doesn't satisfy. Things like friendships, family, a sense of accomplishment, helping others, a song in ones heart, and (may I say) spiritual peace are worth far more, and can't be bought.

The story goes about a guy who went to a wealthy man's funeral, who was very well known in the community. During the service, he quietly whispered to another fellow next to him, "I wonder how much he left behind?" The other stranger calmly whispered back, "All of it."

Tenement Funster wrote:

The story goes about a guy who went to a wealthy man's funeral, who was very well known in the community. During the service, he quietly whispered to another fellow next to him, "I wonder how much he left behind?" The other stranger calmly whispered back, "All of it."

How true we leave the same way we came with nothing smile

arkady wrote:

Sounds a bit like my brother Russ. He was 11years older then me and I always thought he talked down to me. I really don't think he meant to but I guess it was an older brother thing and we didn't have much in common.
He passed away a couple years ago and I still don't know what I felt about him.
ark

My brother is about the same in years between I cant recall much of any interaction as a child or as a teen he was just my older brother same with my father I didn't meet him till I was 16 but my mother was always there

That was a great story Russel. I could imagine turning your story into a play . . . or a song. Given your talent for writing, I wonder if we'll see a new tune from you about it?

Artie'splaying wrote:

That was a great story Russel. I could imagine turning your story into a play . . . or a song. Given your talent for writing, I wonder if we'll see a new tune from you about it?

It would be very hard to get into writing a song about this time in my life dealing with 3 alchololic step fathers foster homes and being homeless it sucked i can talk about it now but it would be to painful to dredge up the details.

Russell_Harding wrote:
Artie'splaying wrote:

It would be very hard to get into writing a song about this time in my life dealing with 3 alchololic step fathers foster homes and being homeless it sucked i can talk about it now but it would be to painful to dredge up the details.

Thats got too be painfull russ.my only stepdad beat me up a couple of times,I left when I was 17 and about a year later I went back too visit he started too give me some lip and I floored him with two punches.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:
Artie'splaying wrote:

Thats got too be painfull russ.my only stepdad beat me up a couple of times,I left when I was 17 and about a year later I went back too visit he started too give me some lip and I floored him with two punches.

Good on ya! a similar thing happend when i was 18 I came home and my step father was beating up my mom I jumped in and he pulled a knife but i was faster then I am now I hit him once and he didn't get up the cops came and he was taken to the hospital I told him before he left something to the effect his life was in mortal danger if i seen him again and i meant it he left for California my mom said to me "good riddance" life sure can throw some curves at you every now and then.

Russell_Harding wrote:
dino48 wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Good on ya! a similar thing happend when i was 18 I came home and my step father was beating up my mom I jumped in and he pulled a knife but i was faster then I am now I hit him once and he didn't get up the cops came and he was taken to the hospital I told him before he left something to the effect his life was in mortal danger if i seen him again and i meant it he left for California my mom said to me "good riddance" life sure can throw some curves at you every now and then.

I hear you russ,when I left I went too work in construction and gained some weight and a lot more muscle. My mom never knew he beat me up when I was younger so I told her about it then. Lucky he never hit my mom.