1 (edited by Artie'splaying 2014-08-31 21:21:01)

Topic: Do this seem fishy to you?

On my local Craig's List, a seller has "a Brand New in the unopened box, a TAYLOR 526 SOLID MAHOGANY ACOUSTIC GUITAR. I am moving and need to sell." He's asking $1500.

All the pictures he has posted have been cut and pasted from the Sweetwater website:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/526

Why would this guy have bought a guitar and then never opened the box to inspect what he'd purchased? How could you expect to sell a guitar without unpacking the guitar and allowing the buyer to play it?

I'm guessing this is stolen merchandise. What do you guys think?

Re: Do this seem fishy to you?

Sounds like you've got good reason to be suspicious ... if you proceed, do it with caution.

3 (edited by beamer 2014-08-31 22:54:03)

Ask him for the serial numbers and then check it with the local PD.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

It doesn't make sense unless it's stolen

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I emailed the seller and asked him if he would unbox the guitar so that I could play it, and he replied, "Certainly!" Well, I don't have 1500 bucks to spend on a guitar, but I was just curious how he'd respond.

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is

Thick as two short planks

I think I would keep away from it,anyone who pays that much buys a top end guitar like that is not going too let it set there unopened.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I wonder if they have a report or contact link on Craig's list for verification

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I believe that sometimes the police will use Craig's List, Kijiji, etc. to ferret out people who fence stolen instruments, but I'm not devious enough to figure out how they do it. When I was in the market for a bass guitar last Fall, someone put an Ibanez BTB670 on Kijiji, and was selling it fairly cheap. We met at the Mall parking lot near here (which seemed odd to me) and the very clean-cut, official-looking guy who had it told me he'd changed his mind about selling it. He said it was his "baby" and apologized for wasting my time. My 32-year-old son told me it was likely and RCMP Officer, and that they often did this sort of thing.

You never know, eh?

Tenement Funster wrote:

I believe that sometimes the police will use Craig's List, Kijiji, etc. to ferret out people who fence stolen instruments, but I'm not devious enough to figure out how they do it.

They certainly do; and it's not just instruments.  A few years ago we had some things stolen. Among them were 3 rather expensive horse saddles. DW filed a police report and while the detective was at the house, he made her a proposition. We were to put an ad on CL looking for a saddle for our daughter (which we don't have) who wanted to take riding lessons. She waited about 2 weeks and placed the ad. She got a hit the same day with pictures of the saddles. Yep, they were ours. She made an appointment and called the detective. The 2 of them went to the house posing as a couple. Bingo! Thieves caught and some, but not all of our stuff was recovered.

I'm with keepitreal on this, beware!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".