Topic: Acoustic Guitar Strap

I've never used a guitar strap but the bluegrass jams I'm participating in seem to be standing activity. Recommendations?
Thanks,
David

Re: Acoustic Guitar Strap

Hi nao, I think you would be smart too use one if you will be standing.if you can afford one the ones with the padding are nice. I have a nice padded one I got when I had my gibson electric as it was heavy. They are not two costly. you might try some playing with one on before you go. Have agood time!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well David, if you gotta stand a strap is essential.  personally (playing an Ovation round-backed-guitar-shaped-eel-slick...) one is a must have tool in the arsenal.

Something at least 2 inches wide so it don't cut into your shoulder, and long enough to adjust to a comfortable stance.  Like buying a belt, you can get as spendy as you can afford, and fancy or simple, but either will still hold up yer trousers.  Just make sure that the ends that fit over the buttons are fairly heavy or they might unbutton automatically and leave you juggling instead of playing. 

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Check also the post from last week about strap locks as doug says dont end up juggling

After dropping two acoustics in the past year, and having to catch them on top of my feet to prevent damage, I decided to put straps on all of them even though I sit 90% of the time. For the price of a $30 strap, that's a cheap way to prevent what could happen.

6 (edited by beamer 2014-09-02 14:42:23)

the Levy racing strap is the most comfy one and prevents sliding IMO LOLOL. This one  http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … itar-strap  if its too shiny for ya then maybe http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … itar-strap  they have a few other bling ones that cost more.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Beamer,
The racing strip strap would look good in my Mach V!

One of my unasked questions was leather versus something else. I see a lot of leather straps but I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009G3DNQ/ref … B0029IYQCY

Also, I have a handmade cloth "belt" I bought while traveling over seas. I bought it for my daughter but it has come back to me. I would never wear it as intended but it could be used to make a unique guitar strap. I am considering this. My sister is quite the seamstress and could make it for me.

David

Drive up to the leather workers shop in Gettysburg and get a custom one.  He'll even letter "Get back to playing" on it for you. 

If you don't know the way, I've been meaning to get by there myself...

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Drive up to the leather workers shop in Gettysburg and get a custom one.  He'll even letter "Get back to playing" on it for you. 

If you don't know the way, I've been meaning to get by there myself...

Excellent idea Zurf!

I'm in Atlanta this week visiting the family but a road trip is possible.

naolslager wrote:

Beamer,
The racing strip strap would look good in my Mach V!

One of my unasked questions was leather versus something else. I see a lot of leather straps but I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009G3DNQ/ref … B0029IYQCY

Also, I have a handmade cloth "belt" I bought while traveling over seas. I bought it for my daughter but it has come back to me. I would never wear it as intended but it could be used to make a unique guitar strap. I am considering this. My sister is quite the seamstress and could make it for me.

David

That one is nice also.I have my very first guitar strap that is something like that. it has corduroy on the inside to  keep it from sliding around on you.   I like the looks of this one myself. but I really like the padded ones.  You should take the strap from your daughter to the shop Zurf mentioned, they may be able to incorporate it on to an existing strap for much less than a full custom one.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I think I need 3 of these! http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Strap-Butt … 0EDYVQ0TG4

Seems to me that one of those fancy embroidered ones was the ***** that had the thin leather ends that was always coming apart.  Cloth or synthetic webbing is my preference as they don't slide and I kinda like the neck at a higher angle mostly like classical.... easier on the old carpal tunnels.

But I kinda like Zurf's suggestion..... road trip to a leather shop!!!  Nothin' like the smell of fresh saddle leather to bring back memories of younger days....

Hats, boots and a dashboard littered with empty "Cope" cans.... Cowboy at heart.
Doug

Doug_Smith wrote:

But I kinda like Zurf's suggestion..... road trip to a leather shop!!!  Nothin' like the smell of fresh saddle leather to bring back memories of younger days....

The shop proprietor has an old LP Hi-Fi on which he spins Led Zeppelin and Strawberry Alarm Clock and other such disks.  Saddle leather is not the only memorable smell there.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
Doug_Smith wrote:

The shop proprietor has an old LP Hi-Fi on which he spins Led Zeppelin and Strawberry Alarm Clock and other such disks.  Saddle leather is not the only memorable smell there.

Sounds like my kind of place!

Zurf wrote:
Doug_Smith wrote:

Nothing wrong with incense and peppermint!

Zurf,
How much should I expect to pay for a custom strap?
Dj

DJ,  just call them and describe what you want and they may be able to give you a rough estimate. (just from what i have seen on prices of good leather,, you should be ready for anywhere from 50 to 200)

naolslager wrote:

Zurf,
How much should I expect to pay for a custom strap?
Dj

Going by memory DJ, but they weren't much more than a Levy's strap. $35 to $50 range. I want one myself for Tiny.

I bought my first strap. Zurf, despite your excellent and very tempting idea, of arranging for a custom strap with the words GET BACK TO PLAYING on it, I opted for expediency and low(er) cost. Maybe one day I'll buy the custom strap but for now I just need a strap. I attended my Bluegrass jam on Sunday. That's a standing activity, plain and simple. Sitting makes one an outcast and it stymies the roving motion of the jam circle.

I chose a dark brown nylon (recycled seat belt) with metal adjustment ring and leather ends. It turns out, guitar strap selection is modeled after the running shoe industry: too MANY choices and most of them obnoxious! I'd like my strap to have character but I don't want it shouting it to the world. Heck, I'd likely be booted from the guitar jam for obstruction of music.

The next challenge is selecting from the myriad of strap pin options for the heel. As is per acoustic guitar custom (apparently) mine only have one strap pin? That's like buying a car with three wheels!

Also I'm in search of a new case for my dreadnought. My old case was no longer functional for me so I sold it on Craig's List. I am trying to decide for a traditional hard case and one of those new-fangled semi-hard foam cases. I've owned both so I know the advantage & disadvantages. It will boil down to availability, cost, and weight.
dj

I kinda like the front strap pin in the flat of the upper side bout near the neck, many guitars have a large enough neck block to catch plenty of meat there.  Knew a guy that tried to install his pin on the neck heel, didn't drill enough clearance and split the darn thing..... repairable but ugly and heartbreaking.

As for cases, you know the story there.  Gig bags are light and if you are safely transporting your "baby" in a car, and are easy to lug around once you've arrived....... but certainly not up to banging around in the cargo hold of say an airplane.

Nao, use one of the things i posted for the neck.
as of right now,, all my acoustic have thick shoestrings holding them.

The ovation has a pin under the neck but I dont like where it makes the guitar sit.

22 (edited by naolslager 2014-09-29 00:30:22)

I was not able to find a competent, trust-worthy guitar technician or luthier to install strap pin at the heel of my guitars in time for today’s CABOMA jam. This installation requires drilling a hole not difficult for anyone with any handiness and good judgement. I do not trust the retail stores and I have no luthier friends. I would do the work myself but I am away from my tools.

Living away from my home has caused me to reassess what I will and won’t pay someone else to do for me. I paid someone to repair my bicycle and I will likely pay someone to do this guitar work.

In the meantime I need to play standing, today, therefore I need a strap. Not my first choice, but I bought and installed a leather strap at the nut of my guitar. This enables me to connect a strap without drilling. I installed the strap on my Simon & Patrick Mahogany Folk guitar. I chose this guitar because I have a case for it. My other guitar, the dreadnought, is between cases right now as I search for a replacement for the old one.

So off to the CABOMA jam today with my new strap. Upon arrival I connected my new strap to the guitar and slipped it over my head. Perfect! The guitar hung exactly where it is supposed to and it was secure. I played standing for two hours with no incident. Playing while standing is a different experience and one I think I will like. A small victory and another step for me to GET BACK TO PLAYING.

I have made contact with a local luthier who will install a strap pin for $15 (including the pin). I will visit him soon to have one installed on the dreadnought and maybe on the folk guitar as well. It is now time to buy a second strap for the dreadnought. I have one picked out. It’s $42 which is a little expensive but it will last me the rest of me life.

dj

p.s. By the way, I bought a Souldier brand strap. Made in Chicago and it is made from recycled seatbelt. I think mine was from a 1970 Buick Skylark!

Recycled seatbelt, that's a pretty neat idea for a strap!  It's way different than sitting, I agree!  Something new and different.  Sounds like you've found a new way to stick with it.  Good for you!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

A wide leather one. I have one made from a seatbelt and its too slippery.

flester wrote:

A wide leather one. I have one made from a seatbelt and its too slippery.

I've not had any problems with slipping. Maybe I haven't experienced the range of coefficients of friction yet?