Topic: what pitch ?

hello
my first post, great site lots of imfo/tips ect.

i hope one of you guys can help a newbee to the guitar i bought a used one to get the basics.
the action was a bit high ( so i was told) since i have got it back its sounds out of tune.
i bought a clip on tuner tuned fine according to the tuner i also was given a other tuner and its fine by that as well.
is there a pitch the tuner should be set at for the standerd  E.A.D.G.B.E.   (440 ? )

many thanks in advance  charla

Re: what pitch ?

A440 is concert pitch and the standard by which most use myself included most tuners are factory set to this

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

A440 is concert pitch and the standard by which most use myself included most tuners are factory set to this

ditto!! and welcome too chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

How high was the action? Very high?

hi bald guitar dude
not to sure how much but the guy i bought it of said it needed doing,
so a friend of a friend if you get my drift worked on it the string are much easer to work with, but it sounds out of tune.
searching the web. it could anything from bolt on the neck to a duff string.
there a shop in the city centre just sells guitars they have tech. guy there i wii let him have look and see what he thinks.
may just buy a new one somthing for

Sounds like the intonation is out.  If it is an acoustic the neck may be bowed.  If it is an electric and an adjustable bridge you may try the following.   Found this process I use @ http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar/Adj … the_Guitar

Adjusting intonation

You may notice each string on the bridge sits in a "saddle".
Depending on your setup, you might notice the saddles may be in different positions:
some might be pushed forward and others might be pushed back,
sometimes slightly. The positioning of the saddle effectively
changes the length of the vibrating string. Tune the guitar
to concert pitch with the aid of an electronic tuner,
making sure the open strings are perfectly in tune.
Play the 9th and 12th fret harmonics, then play the fretted notes.
If the fretted notes are sharp, the string is too short and the saddle needs
to be pushed back toward the base of the bridge.
If the note is flat, the string is too long and the saddle needs to be pushed up
toward the nut. Repeat this procedure for each string.
Adjusting the intonation should be done every few months or at least twice a year.

In my late teens I had a drug problem...now in my sixties all my problems have a drug.

i noticed this problem with a friends guitar, he put strings on that were too light. i would recommend a 12 guage set for acoustic guitar any lighter and they would bend too much while strumming. only a thought. welcome to chordie

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Also keep in mind that it's possible to have some strings accidentally tuned up or down an octave, but show the tight note on the tuner. I think. When I change strings I tune each string to another guitar, then use the tuner to bring it home.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

here's another thought, pick each string on an open note then again at the octave (12th frett) they should sound the same just an octave higher. there is also harmonics but unless you know what i'm on about then it's just more confusion for you. sorry, i have no wish to sound like a clever dick, but it takes a while to learn how to play harmonics even though once you've got it it's a piece of cake. search for "tuning by harmonics"

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

i noticed this problem with a friends guitar, he put strings on that were too light. i would recommend a 12 guage set for acoustic guitar any lighter and they would bend too much while strumming. only a thought. welcome to chordie

When I started I always used an electric set of 9s on my guitar,, never had an issue.  could be a saddle or nut is over grooved. 

Best thing is take it to a trusted shop and ask them to check it out.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)