1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-31 22:14:28)

Topic: Coated Strings on an Electric?

Does anyone use coated strings on their electrics? I'm getting tired of changing strings every 3 or 4 weeks to get that "new string ring", although I have to say I'm really liking the new D'Addario NYXL strings. To my way of thinking, the magnetics shouldn't be affected by a micro-thin coating. Any thoughts?

Re: Coated Strings on an Electric?

Yeah I have elixir on my Tele  they have been on 2 years and I can't bring my self to change them.I thought they were causing excessive fret wear but it hasn't got any worse.I have gives this guitar regularly over this period and it still sounds the same as it did once the strings settled.

Wow, two years is very impressive, Graham!

I'm finding the nickle-wound steels are starting to go dead inside a month, regardless of the brand. Got Elixirs on my Larrivee and love 'em, but never tried their electric version. Thanks for the report!

Tried Elixers on mine, and had problems with them peeling the coating after just a few weeks.  Tossed the notion of a coated string (partially because the plastic sounded a bit dull to me) and changed to Thomastik flat wound strings.  Really smooth and although a bit more expensive they last and feel silky without squeak.

Just my opinion but adding weight to a string that doesn't enhance the sound, even an ultra thin coating is kinda going the wrong way round.

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

only  problem I  found  with the  elixirs is  they  take  a  little  time  to  bed in but  as  I  said  I  have  had  the  same  set  on my tele  2 yrs now and  I  really  hammer  it    they  still  sound  good .

Thanks, Doug ...

I'll have to watch for the peeling you noticed. I've read reviews that their PolyWeb coating will peel, but not the NanoWeb. Apparently the latter is much thinner. Whatever the case, it'll just cost me $10 to find out.

Appreciate the feedback! (especially when using the trem + harmonics)

Graham ...

Just wanted to thank-you for the recommendation for the Elixir strings on my electric. Put a set on earlier this week, and am really liking them. I'll watch for the peeling issue that Doug mentioned, but so far they sound terrific, and don't seem to squeak as much from sliding fingers.

Good call ... thanks again.

I like the squeaks LOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have  a  set  of  ernie  ball cobalts  to  try  when  I  finaly  pluck up  enough courage  to  change  them

I tried a set of the EB Cobalts last year. The cobalt alloy is supposed to generate a tighter magnetic field with the pickups and a crisper tone. They were fine, but I couldn't really detect an audible difference; perhaps if I had better pickups I would. The ProBuckers in my Epiphone Les Paul are pretty good, but I'm thinking about replacing them with a set of Seymour-Duncan "P-Rails" ... a good after-Christmas project.

Beamer: the Elixirs will still squeak when wanted, but a fingernail works better than the fingertip. The opening section of "Run Like Hell" by Pink Floyd is fun to play with some fingernail action. And you're right ... it wouldn't be the same without the string noise.