Topic: New fret on my guitar doesn't look new...

Hi!

I gave my guitar (Fender Stratocaster) to a guitar seller... Because he already told me that my guitar needed new fret, which was right.

But! Today I received my guitar back, with the "new" fret, but I'm not really happy, I'm not sure he did his job well. (I didn't tell him... I want to be sure I'm right)

The frets looks like the "worn fret" on the picture below.
They're brilliant and look new, but when you look closely it's totally flat, like if someone polished the fret.
The sound?
There's a rattle intonation... I play for around 5 years, each day, I don't have this sound with my other electric guitar nor my folk (and my folk was a low price guitar...)

http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/5422/sanstitregiv.png

I spent 200$ for the "new fret".

I'll post pictures of my guitar later, but it's hard to take a clear picture with the zoom (because it's blurry)

[url]https://soundcloud.com/curtis-k-music[/url]

Re: New fret on my guitar doesn't look new...

I'm not a luthier, but it looks like your person may have installed new fret(s), and then filed them down a bit to reduce "buzzing" which can happen when a string makes contact with a fret that is too high. This procedure is called "fret dressing". I believe that it's part of a new fret setup for a guitar, along with adjusting the truss rod. As guitarists, we want the action as low as possible (minimal relief in neck) but minimal fret buzz (their height relative to one another). It's a fine balance between one and the other. Here's a couple of good article on frets:

http://avhguitarrepair.com/repair-blog/ … ret-dress/

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repa … r/buzz.php

Generally speaking, I believe it's a safer idea to replace all of the frets from the 5th position to the nut simultaneously. These are the 5 that get the most wear usually, so replacing them all will minimize the setup problems. I hope this bit of info is useful.

Thanks for the informations!

So it's maybe a "fret dressing". Never heard about this but I'm not luthier.
You reassure me. it's just because it looked weird, the fret are so flat at the top that it looks like mirror.

I think I'll sell my guitar (in about 1-2 years) because I plan to live in USA, Fender (and other guitar) are generally more affordable than Europe.
The one I own is a Mexican, not bad but there's better :-)

Yeah Curt, sounds like your Luthier did not finish the job.  That fret still needs to be crowned.

As for your Mexican Strat...... they have a reputation of being fine instruments.  Usually of better sound & quality than some of the USA models in the same price range.  I'd consider keeping it until you are able to be sure that the one you have to replace it is worth keeping.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Agree with Doug re Mexi strats. Sadly the big manufacturers' USA operations are slipping in quality with respect to their imported counterparts. Unless you buy boutique there isn't a lot of reason to buy USA (unless you love buying USA or are a brand devotee).

Baldguitardude wrote:

Agree with Doug re Mexi strats. Sadly the big manufacturers' USA operations are slipping in quality with respect to their imported counterparts. Unless you buy boutique there isn't a lot of reason to buy USA (unless you love buying USA or are a brand devotee).

I have a mexican strat and I love it,it sounds and playes as well as any stateside strat.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Agree with dino mexican fenders are excellent my tele plays beter than any other electric I have and beter than most other us fenders I have used

Yep!

But the sound of my strat is less good since I changed the frets. (The old frets were "rounded", I mean, the shape was the basic shape of a fret, but they were very worn)

I'll try both guitar (Mexican/USA) at the same time, to have a better point of view ^^

Thanks to all for your answers!

I have another question!

Is it possible to know the string gauge of a guitar?

I told to my luthier 0.10 - 0.46, I'm almost sure he set a string gauge of 0.9 - 0.42
It's the third time he does the "error"... I won't go to this luthier anymore...
I'm almost sure, because I compared with my other electric guitar which is 0.10-0.46, and the E string looks a little bit thicker.

If I want a  0.10-0.46 instead of a 0.9-0.42 on my Fender Stratocaster it's simply because it was originally, when I bought it, with a 0.10-0.46 string gauge. And the sound, mainly the sound of the E, A and D strings, sounds really better. Actually my sound is a bit... Metallic, and it's not only because the strings are new, because it's a thiner string gauge...

You can physically measure the strings using a vernier caliper of the digital kind.  Just remember to choose inches for the purpose, although they will also read out in mm.   If you can actually "see" the difference between .009 and .010 .... your eyes are much better calibrated than mine, it's only a thousandth  of an inch.

Both would be considered Light or Extra Light strings.... and "bend" really easily.  You can get too thin as well as too thick.  For example the "nut" is cut to a given width for the string "guage" (with a little room of +/- a couple thousandths) and if you go too small, the string can actually "rattle" in the gap sounding very much like fret buzz.  Particularly noticeable on necks without a "zero fret".   Could be a bit of that "metallic" sound you describe.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug,, I really can feel the difference between a 9 and 10 on the high E.  I play 10s now myself for a thicker sound,, but whien I hold a guitar with 9s the strings feel smaller LOLOL and 9s bend way easier (IMO LOLOL)

Curt: Yep time to find a new guitar guy.   I don't know where your at or what country since you dont post that info. So No one can really steer you in a better direction for help.  Have you looked up Luthiers in your area? or a good guitar shop with a good Tech.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Take it back and let him know you are not satisfied,and it is not fixed. Get your Grumph on!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman