Re: Prog Rock Wednesdays

Finalely got some Pink Floyd,I am loving that.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

27 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-08-22 20:58:26)

Thanks, Dino!

Pink Floyd is an obvious choice, and certainly one of the best ever. I'm purposely trying to post a few more obscure groups and not-so-famous songs, just to add flavor to the assortment.

Here's a funny one from the German group ELOY. They were originally founded in 1969, then disbanded in 1984, only to have a few of the original members re-form the group in 1988, and are continuing to this day. The funny parts of this video are the enormous billows of smoke rising from the crowd throughout the video, as well as a cameo appearance by Mountain Man from Duck Dynasty at 1:05 ... sure looks like him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdlmOy9vAGQ

Here's a great piece by "Porcupine Tree" from England, from their "Anesthetize" tour in 2008. These guys are one of the tightest live groups going, featuring first-class drumming by Gavin Harrison, and solid guitar tones from Steve Wilson and John Wesley, playing PRS guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfY86cktN0

This is a 17-minute track, in true "Prog Rock" style. Sit back with a hot cup o' tea, and drink it all in! This is crazy good music!

Tenement Funster wrote:

Here's a great piece by "Porcupine Tree" from England, from their "Anesthetize" tour in 2008. These guys are one of the tightest live groups going, featuring first-class drumming by Gavin Harrison, and solid guitar tones from Steve Wilson and John Wesley, playing PRS guitars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBfY86cktN0

This is a 17-minute track, in true "Prog Rock" style. Sit back with a hot cup o' tea, and drink it all in! This is crazy good music!

Not trying to steal your spotlight TF. I just listened to this and it had a familiar sound to it. It took me a few minutes but I figured out what it reminded me of.

King Crimson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty5iRL8eTsg

No spotlight to steal, Uncle Joe!

You're absolutely correct about the strong King Crimson influence. KC were one of the pioneers of this genre, and anyone following them would name them as an influence. In particular, Robert Fripp's "Frippertronics" as he used to call them are in evidence with Richard Barbieri's keyboard & sampling work, along with the creative drum signatures that Bill Bruford did with them. KC's 1969 song "21st Century Schizoid Man" went places that no one previous had gone, and would still be considered a Prog Rock monument.

There's an interesting tie-in between KC and Porcupine Tree, in that PT's drummer (Gavin Harrison) joined KC in late-2007 and through 2008, providing some reworked versions of older KC classics, with more emphasis on percussion than before. Hey, if you've got Gavin at the drum kit, you're going to put him to work, eh?

Good ear to notice this!

Well that would explain it. Thanks.

32 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-12-28 11:39:58)

This was supposed to be a weekly thing, but I just couldn't wait! (LOL)

Genesis is another of those iconic Prog Rock bands whose influences went well beyond their band to many others. The primary 5 members of Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks, and Phil Collins all went on to do other things as the years went by. But the Genesis repertoire remained intact as music that truly defined the genre. In the last couple of years, guitarist Steve Hackett assembled a stage-full of top notch musicians, and launched the "Genesis Revisited" tour. Here's one of the most iconic songs in all of Prog Rock history ... SUPPER'S READY:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSG1m1qCy2c

Opinions abound about the performances of the various players, in comparison to the originals. But IMHO this group have done an extraordinary job of capturing the essence of the work, even if they don't sound like a recorded lip-synch. You'll notice that the bassist plays his guitars left-handed, but that they are strung for a right-handed person! I can't imagine having to learn everything upside down! And I also think vocalist Nad Sylvan has done a first-rate job of capturing Peter Gabriel's intensity and inflection, even if he's not identical.

Hope you enjoy this ... I certainly have!

Wishbone Ash   "The King Will Come"   (2000)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvcM0JadEY

The Wishbone went through various personnel changes over the years, but maintained their "duel lead guitar" scheme of things. The one constant throughout has been guitarist Andy Powell. Much of their material reaches into the blues or rock & roll genres, but they also used some clever composition and arrangements which could only be termed as "progressive". A couple of their best albums from the 70's are "Argus" (1972) and "New England" (1976). More recent albums such as "Bonafide" (2002) and "Clan Destiny" (2006) are also very good, but more in the basic rock & roll category.

With more than 25 albums to their credit, and career spanning almost 45 years, Wishbone Ash have been an iconic, if somewhat under-exposed part of prog rock history.

Here's one I consider progressive. Others may not. If that's the case, one of our kind mods can yank it. smile

Unfortunately it is cut off about 30 seconds from the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k77EE3a7DUg

Well alright we got some Jerry Garcia and grateful dead in there,I have not heard them in a long time,thanks uncle joe and Keep on Truckin with the Dead.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Well alright we got some Jerry Garcia and grateful dead in there,I have not heard them in a long time,thanks uncle joe and Keep on Truckin with the Dead.

That was my life through most of the 80's. I followed them up and down the East Coast. A lot of my guitar education can be traced to venue parking lots from fellow Deadheads. smile

unclejoesband wrote:
dino48 wrote:

That was my life through most of the 80's. I followed them up and down the East Coast. A lot of my guitar education can be traced to venue parking lots from fellow Deadheads. smile

WE have had alot of deadheads here in the bay area,they sold out most all the time they put on a show here I sure do miss Jerry Garcia!! I think they were from this area but I am not sure.

I must admit that I was never a big Grateful Dead fan, but this is terrific stuff ... thanks for the contribution, Uncle Joe!

David Gilmour Unplugged - "High Hopes" (live at Royal Albert Hall, 2002)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDfKRDYE3w0

Of course we all know Mr. Gilmour as the guitarist for Pink Floyd, famous for his smooth tones, ample use of phaser & reverb, and his string-bending style on his Fender Strat. This unplugged version of "High Hopes" from PF's final album (Division Bell) features a wonderful lap steel solo at the end. Enjoy!

40 (edited by dino48 2014-09-14 00:34:00)

I love floyd,and the Greatful Dead.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        blue skies, green lights and Pink Floyd!   ( and cherry garcia flavour Ice Creme )

Tenement Funster wrote:

I must admit that I was never a big Grateful Dead fan, but this is terrific stuff ... thanks for the contribution, Uncle Joe!

A lot of folks were turned off just by the name. I gave my dad a copy of the "American Beauty" album way back when. He was pleasantly surprised and ended buying a couple more to see what else they had to offer. I could never get him to go to a show though.

Tenement Funster wrote:

This was supposed to be a weekly thing, but I just couldn't wait! (LOL)

May I direct you to the 1:52:00 mark for one of the most iconic songs in all of Prog Rock history ... SUPPER'S READY:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JkNq_Ilq8

Opinions abound about the performances of the various players, in comparison to the originals. But IMHO this group have done an extraordinary job of capturing the essence of the work, even if they don't sound like a recorded lip-synch. You'll notice that the bassist plays his guitars left-handed, but that they are strung for a right-handed person! I can't imagine having to learn everything upside down! And I also think vocalist Nad Sylvan has done a first-rate job of capturing Peter Gabriel's intensity and inflection, even if he's not identical.

Hope you enjoy this ... I certainly have!

I saw Genesis back in 1972 in a small venue with the mostly the original line up and wow I was blown away at the time. Peter Gabriel had his hair shaved at the front a very menacing look and during the set donned his now famous head gear.
A long haired Phil Collins played the drums with gusto... smile
Suppers Ready was and still is one of my favourite Genesis pieces I still know all the words. smile
The musical talent was was so oblivious collectively and individually as history proved it to be.
I enjoyed the revisit thanks. The lead singer certainly has a Peter Gabriel like voice and the musical arrangements were were very similar to original.
Great Thread Thanks.
I guess you've got ELP lined up some where... smile
ark

Arkady ...

You asked about some ELP (Emerson, Lake & Palmer) so here's a truly Canadian one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fK92hdp6u18

This ELP version of Aaron Copeland's "Fanfare for the Common Man" was shot in 1977 at Montreal's Olympic Stadium. It's obviously winter, as you can see the lads' breath, it's snowing lightly, and they're bundled up in their winter coats. Not sure why they did this ... kinda nuts.

Rush  -  "The Garden"   (Live in Dallas 2012)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N78WeyurL4s

An amazing and moving ballad, featuring Alex Lifeson's customized Les Paul, showcasing the acoustic tone simulated by the Piezo pickup under the bridge. Technicalities aside, this is beautiful music. Just as Ian Anderson is my greatest influence for acoustic guitar style, Lifeson would be in that same place for electric style.

45 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-09-26 11:49:55)

Jethro Tull  -  "Thick as a Brick"   (Madison Square Garden, 1978)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV-ASc0qkrM

Of course the original TAAB is 44 minutes long, and it was Tull's follow up to the "Aqualung" album. The critics dubbed "Aqualing" as a concept album, which it was never intended to be according to the band members. Their response was TAAB, which Ian Anderson called "the mother of all concept albums". With the primary theme being a spoof of the recording industry, they were stating that the critics wouldn't really know a concept album if it hit them in the face. Many will remember the newspaper-style album jacket which came out with the vinyl release in 1972, and all of the great Monty Python style articles it contained:

http://eil.com/images/main/Jethro+Tull+-+Thick+As+A+Brick+-+LP+RECORD-531357.jpg

Ian's vocal performance is stellar, and now that the passage of time has removed both his range and his growl, we won't see it like this again. There are lots of more recent performances, but I think this is the best live version of this Prog Rock classic, even though it's been "bite-sized" for performance purposes. Enjoy!

46 (edited by Tenement Funster 2014-10-04 11:26:24)

David Gilmour  -  "Take a Breath"   (2006)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L96IpYeWTk

This beauty is from one of Gilmour's solo albums (On an Island) and was co-written with his wife Polly Samson. There are some notable players at this Gdansk, Poland concert, including the late Richard Wright on keyboards, and another favorite guitarist Phil Manzanera (Roxy Music, 801, etc.) playing the black Strat with white pickguard. Manzanera's style has much in common with Gilmour's, and they've shared the stage and studio together for numerous projects. Gilmour is well-known as a skillful string-bender, and really showcases that talent with some really elastic work in this piece. Hope you enjoy this one!

Awsome playing,huge crowd that attended. thanks for the share.

Tangerine Dream  -  "The Halloween Cast"   (Lisbon, Portugal, 2010)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLlmFkKm0IQ

Had to feature some more of the stellar guitar playing of Austrian-born Bernhard Beibl. He is no longer touring with TD, as apparently there was a dispute over how much (or little) they were offering him. Indeed, with founder Edgar Froese now in his 70th year, the day must be approaching when his Tangerine Dream will no longer be performing. Like everything in life, we have to enjoy these things while they're here. Enjoy!

Sounds pretty good,kind of like Pink Floyd.

Glad you liked it, Dino.

TD does 99% instrumental stuff, and some of it has that "techno / club / trance" type of feel that I'm not personally a fan of. But some of their material is excellent, and this is one I really like. As you say, it does have a Pink Floyd type of feel to it. When they let Bernhard have some space, I find he adds a some passion to what they do, along with percussionist Iris Camaa.