Topic: Adaptations and translations of songs

This  could  be  opening a can of worms but  can any  one  explain the  legality's  of  adapting  or  translating  a  song  from a  foreign language .
Here in Greece  we  have  some  great  tunes with un translatable lyrics. Due to  the structure  of  the language straight  translation doesn't  often make  sense  in a  song  or  fit  into  English phraseology .
So  what  I am asking  basically  is  how do  the  copy right  laws  affect a piece  of  work that  has  been  adapted  from an existing song .I would  expect  permissions  would  have  to  be  sought  from the  writer of the  original  song to  use  the  music and  also  he  or  she  should  be  credited   with  the  writing despite the fact  that  the  wording   may  have  been changed  partly  or  even completely . 
I  refer to  songs  like la bamba which  became twist and  shout  and  holiday  songs  like  una paloma blanka .
My  reasons  for asking  this  question is  that  I  have  recently  adapted to  English a  song written by  Pavlos Pavlides  called Treno Fantasma (Ghost  Train)and  I  feel it wouldn't  be  ethical to publish the adaptation with out  first finding out the legality's and  secondly approaching  Pavlos  for  his permission .

Re: Adaptations and translations of songs

A can of worms for sure buddy. I'm not sure any one here can give you a good answer to that one other than a common sense approach. Julio Iglesius might know.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I think the most straightforward thing is to contact the publisher of the original song. They may be quite open to having the song available in a second language.

Yeah  Artie  I  have  played  support  to  Pavlos  a  couple  of  years  back and he's a nice  guy  ,I have  sent  him an email today so  we'll see  what  happens  hopefully  he'll go  with  it,

i would have thought he'd be chuffed to have his song put out in English, as there is a bigger audience. think of "my way" which was taken from an italian song, "o sole mio" and lots more. as long as the composer gets his cut and recognition why would he/she complain? i wouldnt!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by dino48 2014-10-08 00:21:06)

Lawyer up,or try to locate the person and see if they would mind you doing there song. LaBamba was an old mexican religeious song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman