1 (edited by Phill Williams 2014-10-05 18:01:22)

Topic: Ma Gold

This is a sad and tragic story which I don't think is finnished yet, but have a read and give me your thoughts....

Ma Gold.Undefined

[F] I'm skirting around that gold [G] prospecting town.

She's [Bb] sitting there waiting, a [Dm] gun close at [C] hand.

She's [F] madder than Caesar. She's got [G] murder in mind.

And if [Gm] she should [C] see me, I'll be [Bb] dead in no [F] time.

[Dm] The ugliest [C] woman that [Bb] I've ever [F] seen.

Was [Bb] mother to a [F] beauty, like a [G] princess or [C] queen.

So the [Dm] love grew [C] between us and her [Bb] belly got [F] full.

She [Bb] died there in [F] child birth, the [Gm] child died as [F] well.

[F] I've been a miner since the [G] time I could walk.

I've [Bb] sworn and I've cussed ever [Dm] since I could [C] talk.

But [F] Ma Gold was nasty and [G] I'm held to blame.

For her [Gm] daughter and [C] grandson that [Bb] died on that [F] day.

[Dm] Ten days of [C] walking to the [Bb] next water [F] hole.

If she [Bb] knew I was [F] coming she'd have [G] poisoned that as [C] well.

She's so [Dm] bitter and [C] twisted, so [Bb] hard and so [F] cold.

But [Bb] no one wants to [F] face her.

[Bb] No one will [F] fight her.

[Bb] No one [F] survives her. They [Gm] call her Ma [F] Gold.

[F] She's alone in the barroom a [G] Colt in her lap.

For the [Bb] ten years that's gone, she's been [Dm] sitting like [C] that.

A [F] bottle of whiskey, deck of [G] cards on the table.

There's no [Gm] one to [C] play with, they're [Bb] pushing-up [F] daisies.

[Dm] Everyone [C] dies, she gives [Bb] no second [F] chances.

I was [Bb] mining in the [F] Yukon, or I'd be hanging from a tree.

Like the [Dm] doctor, the [C] midwife, the [Bb] sheriff, the [F] barman.

All [Bb] died in her [F] rage. Cos [G] they couldn't [C] save her....

[F] I'm skirting around that gold [G] prospecting town.

She's [Bb] sitting there waiting, a [Dm] gun close at [C] hand.

She's [F] madder than Hitler. She's got [G] murder in mind.

And if [Gm] she should [C] see me, I'll be [Bb] dead in no [F] time.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

2 (edited by Grah1 2014-10-05 17:05:15)

Re: Ma Gold

Interesting story Phill  but  I'm not  sure  if  the  Hitler  reference  fits  into  the feel of the  song  I  totally  get  your  reason but as Hitler  stems  from another  point  in time ,this  to me  detracts  from the late  1800s feel  which the  subject  of  the  song  portrays .

Phill

Love the song  ( a little  hard for me to play though. ) 

I agree with Grah 1      I think I would change the line to  " She's mad as Jesse James, she's got murder on her mind "
I picked him because he was bitter and twisted as well

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

i did say it's not finnished yet, the hitler reference, i knew it was iffy but ghengis khan wouldn't fit. it was "mad as hell" . i never gave jesse james a thought as i didnt think of him as "mad". what do you think about Caesar? it fits with the metre and he was quite a dictator.

jimmy, if you transpose the chords to; VERSES; C-D-F-Am-G| C-D-Dm-G-F-C.|

chorus; Am-G-F-C-| F-C-D-G| Am-G-F-C | F-C-Dm-C|| it's in waltz time and at the moment i'm thinking very slow.

thanks for the heads up

Caesar fits   but  what  about  Custer ? He  fits  the  song   and  the  time .

i'm not sure about custer, he wasnt a complete nutter he just had delusions of grandure. i want to portray Ma Gold as a powerful lady, maybe like Ma Baker from a later age, who lost all sense of humanity at the loss of her beloved daughter and grandson, so she went right off the rails and started killing anyone she thought could have saved their lives or caused their death. maybe i should stop now as it's getting a little too morbid for me. but that's the back story, i read somewhere that your characters should have one so as you know where their going....does that make sense to you?

Make complete sense Phill being a script writer I can confirm the necessity of creating back story for your characters this applys just as much to a song as a story.Love the song cant wait for the film

Make complete sense Phill being a script writer I can confirm the necessity of creating back story for your characters this applys just as much to a song as a story.Love the song cant wait for the film

9 (edited by dino48 2014-10-06 00:58:02)

I don't think hitler fits either,now Doc holiday from wyatt earps days was a bit looney and was good with a gun,he was also dying of t.b. so  he did not care about too much about getting killed or killing someone. Crazy Dentist. Custer was a Army officer I do not think he would fit in.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Bonnie and Clyde?  My history sucks, so I'm not sure but they may have been a little later on in time than your story.  She was pretty crazy and powerful though wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

Bonnie and Clyde?  My history sucks, so I'm not sure but they may have been a little later on in time than your story.  She was pretty crazy and powerful though wink

Amy bonnie and clyde were in the twenties and thirties. wrong time period for the song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Phill
How about `madder than the mother in law`
Boy that`s real mad!
thanks for doing my songs,i`m going to have a crack at one of yours
hope to email u the results.(Brace yourself!)

The King Of Audio Torture

thanks EB, i'm looking forward to that. mother in law is a touchy subject at the moment as mine passed away last month, now she was a complete nutter, in a nice way...

amy/dino, yep your right bonnie was a complete crazy lady but 100 years later. doc holiday? i've got a dentist like that but in reverse, i'd love to shoot him. point made with custer.

grah, now thats a film i'd love to see made, mainly so i could become rich, my song writing doesnt seem to be getting me there sad

jim, how're you getting on with the transpose i did for you? i havent actually started recording it yet, i've got loads on at the moment, so when i do get around to it, i may use the C key myself.

thanks all for your advice and for replying.

phill

Phill how about shes mad and bitter?

Phill
Sorry about` mother in law` trust me to put big foot in it!

The King Of Audio Torture

no apology needed, we all die in the end, death and taxes?

i think i've actually decided on Caesar. all i have to do now is record it. thanks