Topic: And Now For Something Completely Different

Yeah, I stole that line from Monty Python. smile

We keep a lot of animals around here and added a few new members to the family a few weeks ago. Thought I'd share another side of me.

The first sign that the new ones were arriving; a broken egg.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A926%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2865%3B77329258ot1lsi

First full day of all 8 hatchlings.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A848%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2865%3B7732%3A258ot1lsi

They are now 2 weeks old. Mom and peeps are doing well.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv6549%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2865%3B7732%3B258ot1lsi

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv34%3A4%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2865%3B7732%3C258ot1lsi

Re: And Now For Something Completely Different

They are so cute when they're that little!  A few more weeks and they'll be soooo ugly.  LOL!  What breed of Chicken is that?  Is the rooster the same?  Lots of different colors there.  I'm used to the standard RI Red where they all look identical except for minor deeper or lighter coloring.  My dad's girlfriend bought some straight run chicks a couple months ago.  She ended up with 4 roosters she didn't want, sent them off yesterday and they were returned home today ready for the frying pan.  I kind of miss having chickens myself.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

3 (edited by Grah1 2014-08-17 09:11:56)

Never  kept  chickens  myself  but  I  do  have  a  story .The  guy  who  used  to  do  my  garden in the  UK  lived  quite  close  to  us and  kept  a  few  chickens  ,one  of  which was  a  real bad ass rooster  called Fluffy , All of  Richards  chickens  were  free  to  roam  and  as  we  lived in the middle  of  no  where  there was  no real problems  until  one  day    some  of the  hens  left  home  and  took  up  residence  in my  rabbit  pen ,Fluffy  followed  and  used  to  sit on our back porch waiting  for  the  dog to  come out  of  the  house whereupon he  would  dive  bomb  him   and  make  his  life  a  misery . This  carried  on for  quite  some  time  and  no  matter  how many  times we took  him home  Fluffy  would  always  return  It  always put me  in  mind  of  Weird Al Jankoviches   song. Psycho chicken ,any  way  we  enjoyed  free  eggs  for  a time  until  Richard   left  to  live  in Tighland  .Fluffy   on the  other  hand  was  seen around  the village  for a  number  of  years  working  as  a  free lance  rooster .
Oh  nearly  forgot   Amy   you  have  to  monitor  this  topic  very  closely  as  you  are  the  chick moderator.

Unclejoesband,
Thanks for sharing. The photographs are hope.
dj

"Chick Moderator"! - nice one, Grah1!
Nice pics, ujb. Have always quite liked chickens, though their dinosaur-style claws always freak me out a little...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

mekidsmom wrote:

What breed of Chicken is that?  Is the rooster the same?  Lots of different colors there.

I have no idea. roll We were given a dozen chickens back in '07. Over the years there has been some breeding with others birds we've acquired or bought. Basically they're mutts.

We actually have 3 different flocks. 2 are contained and provide us with our eggs. The other is free-range. There are 2 roosters and 2 hens in that flock. The one above is part of that group. We let them roam around and help keep the insect population at bay. They also will find the stagnant pools of water and eat the mosquito larva.

Here is one of the free-range roosters and the daddy to some of the chicks.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3B86%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2836%3A62826258ot1lsi

And here is the other one. He is actually her son from last years hatching. Apparently chickens have no sense of morality. smile

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3B34%3B%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2866442664258ot1lsi

@normtheguitar 

their dinosaur-style claws always freak me out a little...

And they hurt. I've had a couple roosters over the years that would attack if you got too close to "his" girls. They made good soup. smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSk-Zjon_h8

Nice photo shoots of your chicken clan,looks like they are all pets. Do you ever have chicken for dinner etc. and feel guilty as you bite into apiece of chicken? Grah I liked that about Amy "The Chick Moderator".

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Any roosters from this batch will be dinner. Nope. don't feel any guilt. They're raised for food and food they are. smile

10 (edited by dino48 2014-08-18 00:25:29)

I once had a duck dinner at a real fancy resturant that had ducks in the water below me,I did not eat much that night. It was with an old girlfriend and it was our first date.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

11 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-10-13 22:38:23)

It's been 3 months so I thought I would update. They are outside the confines of the "peep run" and free ranging now.

2 of the peeps died shortly after I took the first pics. Another one disappeared a few weeks ago. Probably a hawk but I don't know for sure. It happens when you allow them yo free range. sad

There are 5 left but only 4 in the pic. The one has become fiercely independent and I'm guessing it's a rooster.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv49%3B%3A%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2878%3A4%3B39%3B258ot1lsi

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv5543%3Dot%3E3%3B55%3D7%3A%3C%3D325%3DXROQDF%3E2878%3A4%3B39%3C258ot1lsi

I you are gonna free range them chickens and keep um safe from the hawks, 'possums, 'coons and other varmits you might wanna invest in a chicken tractor or 2.

Nela

I am glad my cat is not close too your area,she is a real hunter and would have a lot of exercise around your peeps.

NELA wrote:

I you are gonna free range them chickens and keep um safe from the hawks, 'possums, 'coons and other varmits you might wanna invest in a chicken tractor or 2.

Nela

The ground critters I don't worry about too much. They're usually only out at night when the kids are locked in the coop. The dogs usually keep the hawks at a distance but every now and then....

dino48 wrote:

I am glad my cat is not close too your area,she is a real hunter and would have a lot of exercise around your peeps.

Our barn cats felt the wrath of the chicken beak at a young age. They're actually scared to get too close. smile

LOL ... I look at your picture of "daddy" a few posts above, and all I see is fly tying materials!

16 (edited by unclejoesband 2014-10-14 10:14:08)

Tenement Funster wrote:

LOL ... I look at your picture of "daddy" a few posts above, and all I see is fly tying materials!

If you're looking for some feathers, feathers I got. smile  Seriously. email me.

Free range chickens are a fact of life up here on the mountain, they lay eggs in the flower garden so I get the added benifit of free breakfast. When I go for walks they will follow along and eat things I stir up as I walk. Once in a while someones goats, cattle or horses gets out and does a little free ranging too. I used to have a piece of furniture on the front porch that was decorated with plastic vines and the goats ate all the leaves off it, they eat just about anything.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Free range chickens are a fact of life up here on the mountain, they lay eggs in the flower garden so I get the added benifit of free breakfast. When I go for walks they will follow along and eat things I stir up as I walk. Once in a while someones goats, cattle or horses gets out and does a little free ranging too. I used to have a piece of furniture on the front porch that was decorated with plastic vines and the goats ate all the leaves off it, they eat just about anything.

Hilarious! Goats eating plastic leaves.

Grah1 wrote:

Never  kept  chickens  myself  but  I  do  have  a  story .The  guy  who  used  to  do  my  garden in the  UK  lived  quite  close  to  us and  kept  a  few  chickens  ,one  of  which was  a  real bad ass rooster  called Fluffy , All of  Richards  chickens  were  free  to  roam  and  as  we  lived in the middle  of  no  where  there was  no real problems  until  one  day    some  of the  hens  left  home  and  took  up  residence  in my  rabbit  pen ,Fluffy  followed  and  used  to  sit on our back porch waiting  for  the  dog to  come out  of  the  house whereupon he  would  dive  bomb  him   and  make  his  life  a  misery . This  carried  on for  quite  some  time  and  no  matter  how many  times we took  him home  Fluffy  would  always  return  It  always put me  in  mind  of  Weird Al Jankoviches   song. Psycho chicken ,any  way  we  enjoyed  free  eggs  for  a time  until  Richard   left  to  live  in Tighland  .Fluffy   on the  other  hand  was  seen around  the village  for a  number  of  years  working  as  a  free lance  rooster .
Oh  nearly  forgot   Amy   you  have  to  monitor  this  topic  very  closely  as  you  are  the  chick moderator.

You never know what you'll find on Chordie: A rooster named Fluffy! Hilarious.