Topic: Inner jazz chords?

I've played acoustic guitar for years.  That means open 6 string chords.  When I'm playing electric rock as a rhythm guitarist, it's not my primary role (I'm a vocalist)  so I always played 6 string bar chords.

Now,  I'm trying g to expand,  and it see, S a lot of players play chords using only strings 2-5.  What are these chords called?  And is it really that common to not play bearings 1 and 6? Trying to stretch out here, 
lay more and sing less.

2 (edited by Doug_Smith 2014-10-30 08:39:07)

Re: Inner jazz chords?

I'm going to take a guess here, not knowing what genre of music you are seeing this in.  My guess is that you are listening and seeing jazz chording where there are a lot of 9th, Maj7, and b5 chord patterns used (Justinguitar.com has a pretty good video explaining what he calls "Jazz Grips").
The strings you mentioned are commonly muted in many voicings, and the notes played by others in the group, so hitting them with a plectrum is unnecessary.

like I said though it is only a guess.
Doug

**Edited**  Duh!  If I had fully read your topic heading I would have known it was Jazz, so you may disregard my opening sentence. It's late or early depending on which side of the planet you're on & I'm fatigued.... must be bedtime.   DS

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Chord selection and voicing depends a lot on what else is going on in the group. I played in a funk type group with another guitar player, a very good keyboardist and a super-active bass player. In other words the sound was already REALLY full and there wasn't a lot of room.

In that group I played color tones only, no barre chords, and very few 6 string chords. For example an A dominant 7 chord:

I stripped that down a lot and played just the tritone:
x
x
x
x

or tritone over the root:

x
x
x

Yes and yes.  Most of the chords I see are min7, min6, maj7, 9th, maj9th, etc.  Most of my playing I'm the only one there, so I need to play all the chord tones.  But I do see a lot of players using only 2,3,4,5 strings. I guess I just need to practice, I'm used to the full strum and not hitting strings 1 and 6, or muting them, is just a bit more difficult. 

Steve

you can play just 3rds, 7ths and chord extensions. Leave roots and 5ths out completely. Google "rootless voicings."

Example:
http://mattwarnockguitar.com/jazz-guita … for-guitar

As to technique, you can mute with your thumb wrapped over the top and some lazy index finger placement. I tend to hit all the strings even if I'm playing a 3 or 4 string voicing. Chunks up the attack.