Topic: Time For Lessons

I'm basically self taught as some of you may recall from other posts. Mostly from books and other musicians. There was no such thing as the internet when I started playing. Scales are something I never took the time to learn. A few months ago I decided it was time to fill this gap. Even with You-Tube and all the other internet resources out there, I have been rather frustrated with my lack of progress. I can play a few but don't seem to be able to grasp putting the scales together with a chord progression. A couple weeks ago I stopped in to a small music store, just to pick up a set of strings for my 12 string. While there, I was talking to one of the owners and the conversation came around to my frustration. He said he could help me with that. After only 2 lessons I think I'm beginning to see a flicker of light at the end of the tunnel. With a lot of practice I believe I will have a grasp of this thing by next  summer. Certainly not a master but at least understand what to do and more importantly, why. Sitting down one on one with someone that knows what they're doing really makes a difference!  I'm actually excited about learning again.

Just wanted to share. smile

Re: Time For Lessons

The think I find that is common with less advanced players who have never taken lessons is they repeat bad habits only because they do not know the correct or easier way to finger a chord or there wrist finger or elbow positions hamper making clean chord changes possible, once corrected they start improving quickly and enjoy playing more.  I have been a teacher to many young and older musicians and it gives me a kick to see and hear them start to play well we all need a little help now and then even myself I learn something new just about every day just have to keep an open mind and be persistent smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Time For Lessons

I will second Russ's comments.

Although there is a lot of good information and instruction on the internet there is nothing to beat a one-to-one lesson where any query can be asked and answered.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"