Topic: Resonators

I've  a  couple  of unique Ozark resonators that  I  would  like  to  sell  if  anyone  is  interested  .

One  is a Brass bodied guitar  with  a  single  lipstick  pickup the  neck  is  inlaid  with  mother of  pearl  .I believe  it  was  originally  made as a sample  for the  current  model on Ozarks site  as  it  was  supplied  un engraved  just  plain gold  finish .

Also  I  have  an Ozark Nikel plated  irish bouzouki  resonator  also  unique ,The  retailer   told me  it  had  been commissioned  as  a  display  model again it  is  not listed  in Ozarks current  catalogue. this  is  beautifully engraved  and  plated in Nikel  silver .

Both instruments are for sale but  not  cheap if  anyone is seriously  interested please contact  me  and  I will  forward  photos .
I  am open to  some  negotiation in price .

Re: Resonators

Graham

I  can't afford a top end resonator like yours, but i have looking around on the internet at a Gretsch and a Dean. Can you give some advice on what I should look for. I have never even played one, but they cool and would like to maybe give it a go.  Thanks

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hi Jim my every day resonator is a guvnor resonator I bought it new for about 110 pounds around 8 yrs ago it is wooden body one  not like the other two I have I added an old P90 type pickup and it sounds  great.I cant really coment on the two you mention  but if I were buying another I would probably look at somthing from micheal messers range of resonators as they are top quality at a sensible price. If you havent heard micheal check him on you tube great player and a nice guy.I think the imortant factors are that the action is high enough to give a good tone when playing slide buut low enough not to make it uncomfortable when you pick it .I use 10s guauge strings on all mine as I swap between slide and finger style and the heavy strings most come with are uncomfortable for me.I would suggest that what ever you buy has a factory installed pickup.Two last things worth considering ,weight the metal bodied ones can be very heavy especialy if you stand to play and some times you may find the tail piece on some rests lightly on the resonator causing a horrible vibration my cheapo guvnor did this when I first had it and I was forced to add apacking piece to raise it a little in order to stop it.Summing  up if you fancy one get one that has a good quality resonator as this is the hear of the thing certainly the meser will be good but I would also take a look at vintage before you decide as there range is very well priced and good quality .when you get one you will enjoy the range of alturnate tunings that can be used ,open G is good for a start.

Thank you Graham

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke