Topic: songwriting.

as a long time writer ive never been sure when to stop a song...be it 2,3,4,5 minutes long...I tend to go with the flow..is there an answer to the time limit on a song ?

Re: songwriting.

Toasty, I don't know if there is a time limit. Most songs written for air play tend to be 3-3 1/2 minutes. That doesn't always allow you to tell your story. Mine tend to be 3-4 minutes though I have written a couple 6-7 minutes. They just turned out that way. Your audience will be the test. If they lose the connection with you then yes it's probably too long. Many audiences need short songs with repetitive hook lines to keep them interested. Most people don't really listen to the story being told , they just like the hook lines. That's the hardest part for a songwriter, keeping it short and having the hook and still get your feelings accepted. Just keep writing and telling your story. Great question.

Joe

Ditto

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant is about 23 minutes long, Alice - Before Time Began is just over 30 minutes, but he has many songs that are well under a minute. So I guess a good song can be really sort or really long...but if it is long it's got be able to hold the listener's interest and attention, not always easy.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

when I  write   I  aim for  three  to  4 mins   ,some  end  up  under   but  not  usually  over  what  doe  happen though  is  when we  do it  live   the  song  can take on  a  whole new  character  what  was  3 mins  can become  6 or  what  was  4  can   end up  less. Because  sometimes  we  have to  play    very long  sets  in Crete   4-5hrs  sometimes  with  only a  short  break  we  do  rend  to  play  things  twice but the  second time  it always  seems  more  frantic  ,our  normal set  is  about  2hrs  to  2hrs 15 so I  think  when writing  it  is  good  to  have  more than one  version of  a  song ,Check  out  some  of  Neil Youngs  stuff  they  are  good examples  of  long  and  short  versions .

you've never heard of Yes?

Yes have made a living out of 30 minute songs since the 70's, but because they orchestrate their songs they never get boring. they start quite often with an intro that lasts as long as most pop songs! a song will be out and out rock and roll then slow to a ballad then back to riffing and ending in a crescendo that will bring the house down.

eric clapton records most of his songs to about 3-4 minutes but playing live he might fill them out to 6 or 7 minutes with his soloing.
myself i try and limit verses if possible, don't forget if you have a song with 10 verses, you have to be able to remember all the words. and the song might get repetitive which becomes boring to you and especially to the audience. american pie is a great song, but very word-y. i sang it once on karaoke....boy did it get boring for me, so how did the audience feel?

rule of thumb; if it sounds good and feels good, it is good. if the listener yawns...it's too long.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

there have been some good long songs that are long like the Doors Light my Fire, Don Mcleans American Pie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

When I record a song for a CD I try to keep it less than 4 minutes, preferably under 3 1/2.  When playing live, the length is dependent on the audience's reaction, but I still rarely go over 4 minutes. IMHO If a song takes longer than 4 minutes then its time for a serious re-write. An old musician friend of mine says the only thing worse than playing a bad song is to play it too loud and the only thing worse than that is to play it too long. smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I guess I should follow my own advice about songs going over 4 minutes.........  After I posted above, I checked some of the songs I've written over the last few months and made scratch recordings.  There were a dozen that may have enough potential to make a better recording later.  Of that group:

2 under 3 minutes (shortest was 2:13)
4 between 3 minutes and 3:30
3 between 3:30 and 4:00
3 between 4:00 and 4:20

One of the over 4 minutes I could remove a musical bridge and shorten it.  Two are "historical" songs about the Civil War and I can't figure out how to shorten them so I may make exceptions for them.  I suppose I could just play them at a faster tempo ........ smile

DE

Ed, don't remove musical bridges as they can break a long song up that may be getting a little tedious, I'm not saying any of your songs are boring but if you have a lot to say a solo can ease the length so you can go past the 4 minute barrier without the listener yawning!
Has anyone else noticed how 3 minute songs of the ballad variety seem to last 10minutes plus?

I have a very limited- Oh look a squirrel! - attention span.  I always figured a song is as long as it takes to tell the story. I love Alice's Restaurant and Green Grass and High Tides.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Great to see good old Mr Young getting a mention on Chordie. Some of his self indulgent rantings can last 20 minutes but never boring live as he has a stage presence that captivates an audience, unlike many winners of a certain talent show. Myself, I can clear a room just by tuning up. So perhaps its as much about connecting with the audience but that's difficult when they're heading for the door.

Thick as two short planks

Phill Williams wrote:

Ed, don't remove musical bridges as they can break a long song up that may be getting a little tedious, I'm not saying any of your songs are boring but if you have a lot to say a solo can ease the length so you can go past the 4 minute barrier without the listener yawning!
Has anyone else noticed how 3 minute songs of the ballad variety seem to last 10minutes plus?

I agree to an extent Phil, but if a song is already too long and the performer plays a musical solo or bridge in the middle I find myself thinking "just get the %^&*$ song over".  I often write songs that I intend to play with some of my bluegrass pickin' friends and leave "breaks" in places through the song so they can show off some of their licks.  When I play the same song without them its much shorter.

As for the 4+ minute song I mentioned in my post, the structure was 2 verses, chorus, verse, bridge, verse, chorus.  After listening to it several more times I decided the 3rd verse and bridge didn't really add anything to the song, so they are gone.

DE

Fair point, Ed, bridges and chorus's serve the same end, to break up and give the song a counterpoint. Listening to a new song for the first time, all you remember after is the hook or chorus. The hook can just as easily be a riff as on wonderful tonight or Something from the Beatles, written interestingly about the same lady. More,interestingly both are riff led and contain a great bridge.

My songs always seem to go on a lot longer than I realized--at least that's what my wife tells me! wink

Artie,

My wife tells me that after singing three notes !!!   
smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke