Topic: How do u read Chordie material?

You might think im dumb, but how do u read this kind of guitar stuff. It is the six chords but i mean, like the numbers? I thought it was what fret u should play, but then i was like 0? Thats not a fret. And do u play all the strings or only those with numbers? HELP

Re: How do u read Chordie material?

six strings i meant to say six strings!

Hi fender5190 and welcome to chordie.  I wnat to help, but am unsure exactly what you are looking at.

Perhaps you are looking at some 'tabs' that show which fret of which string to play.  In that case, the 0 means play an open string.  Generally, with tabs you will play the strings with numbers.  Google 'how to read guitar tabs' for lots more info on this topic.  Tabs are great for showing riffs and licks and embellishments, but some people don't like to use them.

Or, perhaps you are looking at the chord grids that appear on most song pages.  The 0 means play an open string.  The x means don't play that string (or mute it).  The dots show which frets to hold on which strings.  A number off to the left of the grid (like 5) means start on the 5th fret with the fingering.  Go the 'Resources' page (see the tabs right below the chordie logo) for a very complete chord chart.  Clicking on the individual chords here will also show you alternative fingerings for the chords.

Hope this helps.  Let me know.  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Dear James,
e---------0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0--|
B------12---12---12---12---12---12---12---12---12---12---12---12----|
G-------------------------------------------------------------------|
D-------------------------------------------------------------------|
A-------------------------------------------------------------------|
E-------------------------------------------------------------------|

e---------0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0----0--|
B------10---10---10---10---10---10---10---10---10---10---10---10----|

e-------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---------------|
B------9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9---9----------------|

e-------0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0-------------------------------|
B------7---7---7---7---4---4---4---4--------------------------------|

END

This is what i mean i am confused on which strings to play, and what the zero means. If zero means open string, do u play the other strings too. Thanks again!

Ok fender5190, now I see what you wondering about.  Looks to me like the tabber is indicating you should play on only the top two strings here (B and e).

The tuning is standard (EADGBe) so playing all the strings would yield a rather discordant result.   If the song used some sort of open tuning, that would have been detailed in the string names. Also, there is not anything to indicate a typical chord.  Chords are usually noted with all the relevant fret numbers in a vertical line (or sometimes in parentheses above the tabs).

Since the fret numbers are slightly misaligned here, I would infer that you are to play the notes slightly apart (rather than simultaneously).  This looks like some kind of descending melodic riff.

The thing about tabs (and simple chord grids) is that they really only make sense when you already know what the song sounds like.  Unlike formal musical notation that can convey tone, tempo, attack, and other subtleties - tabs and chords can only impart a very rough interpretion which relies largely on the player's familiarity with the song to fill in the gaps.

Does all this make more sense now?  James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]