Topic: Yamaha sj-180

My favorite guitar is my Yamaha sj-180.I have had it for 28 years and it never fails. It is not a dreadnought but the body is a bit smaller.Enough to feel the difference.Sound and action are great.And easy on the wallet.I paid 125.00 for mine.It was damaged in shipping and repaired.The neck and headstock were damaged and it had a few scratches and dings on it.The repair is still holding.Just had a setup done last year and it is better than ever.Looks awful,covered in stickers.I have 2 other Yamaha acoustics and I always go back to this one.Anyone else ever had the pleasure to own one of these.What did you think?I always consider these to be one of the most underated guitars made

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

2 (edited by naolslager 2012-05-12 13:28:02)

Re: Yamaha sj-180

J3,
The Yamaha SJ-180 is a great guitar. I've owned two. This past week I narrowly escaped GAS and passed on a nice used FG-331 - the predecessor to the SJ-180. I really like the 000-esque body size and these guitars defy the common opinion regarding the substandard sound of all-laminate guitars. These guitars sound good!

If you're interested in something possibly more special than the SJ-180, get your hands on a SJ-400S. This is the solid-top version. You will rarely find anything about these but there are a few out there.

I also owned a CJ-818 - the jumbo all-laminate - a great guitar as well. A glimpse of mine can be found on my YouTube Channel. i think it's in my first "Noodleroni" installment.

But, yes, the SJ-180 is a fantastic guitar.
dj

p.s. I've been talking to the seller of an FG-110.  It is the original folk body which led to the SJ-180, etc. This one was made in 1970.
p.p.s: J3, what the heck are you  doing up at 3:38am?

Yamaha SJ-180
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-BDDreFeyYv8/T3WhgLd-hUI/AAAAAAAADfQ/Uskt9LmCFZQ/s512/DSC04856.JPG
Yamaha CJ-818
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9jnl4xZusI0/T3WWNHRUlsI/AAAAAAAADdw/KASm-0OAGsE/s512/CJ-818%2520%252822%2529.JPG

naolslager wrote:

J3,
The Yamaha SJ-180 is a great guitar. I've owned two. This past week I narrowly escaped GAS and passed on a nice used FG-331 - the predecessor to the SJ-180. I really like the 000-esque body size and these guitars defy the common opinion regarding the substandard sound of all-laminate guitars. These guitars sound good!

If you're interested in something possibly more special than the SJ-180, get your hands on a SJ-400S. This is the solid-top version. You will rarely find anything about these but there are a few out there.

I also owned a CJ-818 - the jumbo all-laminate - a great guitar as well. A glimpse of mine can be found on my YouTube Channel. i think it's in my first "Noodleroni" installment.

But, yes, the SJ-180 is a fantastic guitar.
dj

p.s. I've been talking to the seller of an FG-110.  It is the original folk body which led to the SJ-180, etc. This one was made in 1970.
p.p.s:r J3, what the heck are you  doing up at 3:38am?

thats nice to know about the fg-331.I have seen some for sale.Now I may take a second look.As far as a jumbo goes,I like thde feel ofa folk size guitar. Also, I work for Frito Lay.I started at 4:30 today.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

jjj,looks like a good model,I have a yamaha fg401 that I bought used for $50.00, I love it, my favorite guitar!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

J3,

You didn't ask but here's what I can tell you.

FG-331
1977-1981
000 body
truss rod adjusted from the headstock
inlay down the center of the back

SJ-180
1981-1985
000 body
truss rod adjusted from within the sound hole
no inlay down the back

Other then that I think they are the same

Before the FG-331 was the FG-150 and before that was the FG-110. The later had back/sides made from agathis not mahogany.

naolslager wrote:

J3,

You didn't ask but here's what I can tell you.

FG-331
1977-1981
000 body
truss rod adjusted from the headstock
inlay down the center of the back

SJ-180
1981-1985
000 body
truss rod adjusted from within the sound hole
no inlay down the back

Other then that I think they are the same

Before the FG-331 was the FG-150 and before that was the FG-110. The later had back/sides made from agathis not mahogany.

Sorry for correcting you but the FG 110 and the Fg150 were around at the same time. The 150 was an OM sized FG180 and the 110 a smaller version of the FG140. The numbering on old Yamaha's reflected pricing. An FG150 would be a MSRP of $150. Country Joe McDonald played and FG150 at Woodstock BTW. I have an SJ180 and it's dimensions are bigger than an 000. It would appear to be Yamaha's own design.

Den welcome too chordie. It looks like you are in a post that was put up acouple of years ago.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman