Topic: Google ads and others on search

Most miffed. I do the usual when I fancy looking up an artist or song and instead of being able to refine things after picking a letter......  google drops an advert on top of the letter blocks choices.

Now.... There is the flashing X to tap to get rid, when instead the ad is replaced with a bunch of questions where I get asked if the ad is repetitive, annoying or not relevant. I tap annoying. And the box stays put with a thank you message. So I refresh the page, try again. This time I tap REPETITIVE. Same ta muchly to me message. The box stays put and I still cannot refine my search.

This is getting all encompassingly NOT Relevant, DEFINATELY Annoying and increasingly repetitive. I just want a bunch of chords and lyrics not a marketing exercise at 2am!

So...... I cant actually choose for e.g. WE - WI. I dunno if that option even exists because the box covers everything and does not disappear at all.

Ads, yeah I get it, but I'm in a portion of your site to search for chords or/and lyrics.  Not to have ALL my search options blotted out by an advert cos your cookies read my cookies.

Ad choices is rubbish. You should be able to stop the ads if seen them once, cos hey thats job done right???

If I wanted to search chordie for a handbag you and anyone else would think I'm losing it..... when I'm actually losing my right to use your site cos the ads swallow the right hand side, flash ads blocks across the page top and finally..... this daftness I cannot stop appearing but its stopping me searching what was once an amazing site.

Cant you sort this guys. Happens on tab, phone and laptop so it aint me?!?!?! x

Re: Google ads and others on search

I do a fair amount of song searches and I've never had an ad drop down and block any of choices.

Alsx wrote:

Sorry, but you aren't going to want to hear this..... IT AIN'T US!!!  It is Google.  ALL Advertising on Chordie has been Suspended for quite awhile now in a Policy to slam the door on Unsolicited Advertisers who were trying to insert Spam Links into our music index.  The Site had been up and down for a few months (in short intervals) to sift things out and once cleaned out, Admin curtailed advertising and disabled some rarely used features to prevent further incursion.

So, not being one of those sites that would just go off and not offer a remedy.  Let us know what browser and OS you are using, and we'll see if we can come up with a couple of little things to help end your frustration. 

Thanks;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

A friend of mine inadvertently downloaded malware and although it was relatively easy to get rid of, he still had problems with adverts popping up. I found that it had infected Internet Explorer and had to revert to the original settings to clear it. It is possible that something similar has happened to you.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

5 (edited by Baldguitardude 2014-12-05 18:30:09)

The ad choices popover happens to me when I view on a mobile or tablet. It absolutely isn't Google. It's how the ad is framed on the page and how Chordie is coded. The board software might have a responsive design plugin, or AdSense can (I think) be disabled for certain browser types, but this might impact ad revenue negatively.

Edit:
You might also be able to change privacy settings in your browser: https://support.google.com/adsense/trou … 1343?hl=en

It's not showing up on mine..... And YOU ARE GOING TO FORCE ME to turn on a Windows machine aren't ya!   Anyway it could be worse, you might want me to drag a mac out of storage too while you are at it. 

I run Linux, Firefox, Avast was my antivirus of choice (but not needed with Linux), Ad Block Plus, and Ghostry, cookies are deleted on closing the browser.  No pop-ups, no ads, and no problems.  I checked my logs, and find a surprising absence of blocked ad scripts from anywhere!  So.... when I get more information from those who are having problems, I'll try to duplicate it on one of the other machines and see if I can come up with a recommendation.  I'm kinda with BGD thinking that a change in preferences at the user level might do the trick.

Doug_Smith wrote:

Ad Block Plus, and Ghostry, cookies are deleted on closing the browser.  No pop-ups, no ads, and no problems

Isn't it nice not having all those targeted ads?  smile

Joe.... Why Yes it is!

There is a song in there somewhere.... something like:
Ass in the sand, a cold drink in my hand, with no bottom
No Spam
No Ads
No Problems

No!  Wait, that's been done I think!!???!

ya lost me there buddy. smile

Well just for  grins & chuckles, I went ahead and tuned off Ad Block and Ghostery..... and sure enough there are ads "placed by Google" all over the place.  Doubleclick and Adsense seem to be the culprits in this travesty.... but simply enabling the Ad Block plugin they go away.  On a phone those darn ads add about a third of the time to loading..... and I find them annoying.

Hope that helps;
Doug

I use DoNotTrack and Ghostery. Wonderful inventions. smile

seems like it is always someone who just came too the forum who complain looks like he has been here since 2007.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Doug_Smith wrote:
Alsx wrote:

Sorry, but you aren't going to want to hear this..... IT AIN'T US!!!  It is Google.  ALL Advertising on Chordie has been Suspended for quite awhile now in a Policy to slam the door on Unsolicited Advertisers who were trying to insert Spam Links into our music index.  The Site had been up and down for a few months (in short intervals) to sift things out and once cleaned out, Admin curtailed advertising and disabled some rarely used features to prevent further incursion.

So, not being one of those sites that would just go off and not offer a remedy.  Let us know what browser and OS you are using, and we'll see if we can come up with a couple of little things to help end your frustration. 

Thanks;
Doug

Hi Doug

thank you for your answer. Ok. I use a tablet alot, (samsung tab 10.1) and I cant find where it tells me what the browser is cos settings for ie is not quite like a pc, but my guess is Google cos its my home page.. I am signed up for adware to stop the crap it generates cos I've looked at stuff on ebay or marks n sparkys!!!

I completely understand the reasons you have to protect the site but if we can find a way for me to get back on chordie I would be chuffed. Ali x

Would it be more useful if I start again with sign up on my current email address?

Google is the worst,I have been using Bing and it is not doing alot of these things.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Alsx wrote:

I completely understand the reasons you have to protect the site but if we can find a way for me to get back on chordie I would be chuffed. Ali x

Would it be more useful if I start again with sign up on my current email address?

Thanks for checking back in Ali with additional information.  I doubt that starting another account (or modifying your current one) would cure anything, you would likely have to change to a different e-mail as well because the two are linked here on Chordie.  That said, I will do a little research on the software you have in use, (android of some flavor... taffy, popcorn, cotton-candy, jelly-bean or whatever. I use Linux and they too like silly names like: precocious penguin, natty narwhal, etc.) and see if I can suss out what browser they actually bundled in there.  We'll see if there is a simple work-around to get the darn ads from eating up your valuable screen space so you can better use it.

I may be contacting you personally for additional info if that is acceptable, and when we get it figured out, post our best result here for the benefit of others.

Cheers;
Doug