Topic: Have You Ever Used A Felt Pick....

....... on your 6-string?

Because of my arthritic right middle finger, when I was learning bass (and still am), I couldn't do the plucking correctly, so I bought some felt picks and used those.

Then one day, I couldn't find a pick to use on my Jasmine, so I grabbed the felt one and used it. I found it gave a very warm, full sound.

Ever try it?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Have You Ever Used A Felt Pick....

Never knew they had a felt pick,but I do not use picks anyways.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-01-26 03:14:26)

I never knew there was such a thing either.

So of course I had to look them up. They come in a variety of thicknesses too. Who da thunk?

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke … 8iabloy5_b

I have a felt pick I use on the bass sometimes, and will mess around with it on the 6-string once in a while. It's nice for softer, ballad type of songs. "Old Fashioned Love Song" by Three Dog Night comes to mind, as one I'll often use the felt pick for. The windings of the strings will accumulate a bit of fuzz from it, so they need to be wiped afterwards ... nothing serious.

They're for ukes. I have them on my bas and found I liked fingers better. I tried on my six string but the steel strings tore it up. I didn't care for the sound either. I prefer a bright, clean sound.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have used felt picks since 2005. When I play songwriters rounds my other singer/songwriters are amazed. I still use my felt picks daily unless I am fingerpicking my acoustic. Coke2

I only became aware of felt picks towards the end of last year, the missus brought me a Uke for Christmas. I was looking on Chordie under,Other String Instruments when someone mentioned them. I've never even seen them. Although I prefer using fingers and thumb, I have experimented with all types of materials but never felt. Must try it.

Thick as two short planks