1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-29 03:34:46)

Topic: A Rock Group Plays With Music Stands

Any opinions on that?

My friend Peter has a rock group called "Time-Out" (Classic Rock) in  our home town, Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Bavaria (yep, I'm half "Kraut", half "Yankee". Or "Ami" (Ah-mee) as we're known these days).

The three strings (I call the guitarists in my bands "Strings" - just like in an orchestra) all have stands holding their tabs/lyrics in front of them with lights. Three stands, three lights. Right smack-dab in front of them. It must be a culture thing, right? I mean, unless it's a brand new song, I wouldn't think an American band would need such an elaborate set-up, but to each is own, I guess.

I asked Peter what would happen if just once they'd let me come up on stage and take the music and stands away, for oh, Floyd's "Brick In The Wall."

"I don't know, but I don't want to find out, Willie-Boy", he said. "Willie-Boy" comes from "Wilhelm" my real middle name. They started out calling me "Billy-Boy", but since that's the name of a popular German condom, I talked 'em out of that.

Linus and his blanket come to mind?

To each his own, but I wonder how that would go over here in the US? I think as long as the music sounds good, no one would care. Maybe other musicians would. Who, me? Perish the thought. I say "Whatever Gets You Through The Night". smile

Opinions?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: A Rock Group Plays With Music Stands

Personally, I would want to know the song before I got on a stage to perform in front of people. That's what I'm doing right now. In the next few weeks I plan on doing an open mic night and I refuse to have a book or other crutch in front of me. I hope to have at least a dozen songs to choose from. It's been nearly 30 years since I've been on a stage so I'm doing a lot of practicing in the evenings.

Joe, I wish you the best possible return to the stage! Will someone be filming? If so, I'd like to see it on the Tube if you don't mind?
I can imaging how hard you must be practicing and I know you'll do a great show, my friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hey Bill I have  a memory  like  a  sieve ,I  have  played at  festivals  with  a  stand  on stage  Ive  seen this  more  and  more  recently  ,sure  40 yrs ago  I  might  have  remembered  the  full  set  but  now  I  haven't  a  chance  so  I use the  stand .It  is  a  thing  I  would  love  to  get away  from ,but  for me  and many  others  its  not  gonna happen .
Last  weekend  I  played in  Lancaster at  a  blues  club and  started off with  Ghost  blues  which I  do  know  all  the  way  with  out  a  promt  ,then I  started   my  second  number  Walkin my  blues away  an old  Sonny  Terry  /Brownie  Magee song which  I've  sung  for   what  feels  like  a hundred  years  ,guess what?  I  forgot  the  first  line ,Moral of the  story  ,if  you need  an aid  don't  be  afraid  to  use it, its  like  a  tuner  a tool of the trade. I  saw Peter Green a couple of  years  ago  use  a stand ,If its  ok  for  him its  ok  for  me . I  certainly  cant  remember  the  words  to  35 songs these days .

I can't criticize anyone for wanting to use a music stand, tablet, etc., if they need it to improve the quality of the music. I don't think it's a bad reflection on them at all, and have seen a lot of top-notch musicians using stands over the years. I personally find a sheet helpful if I'm singing and playing at the same time ... my poor old brain can only do so much!

Hey, thanks, you two and great answers!:). I never thought of it that way, so I'm glad I have you "youngsters" to set me straight!

Caveat: If I did that (on guitar) I'd have to have extra large print. I have double vision and my depth perception is for doo-doo (which means that every time I tried to turn to a new page, I'm likely to turn stand and all over. smile smile  )

Thanks for the opinions!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Joe, I wish you the best possible return to the stage! Will someone be filming? If so, I'd like to see it on the Tube if you don't mind?

Bill

Not that I'm aware of.

There will be plenty of jitters and I fully expect to make mistakes so not having that documented is OK by me.

I used to have 5 hours of songs I could play off the top of my head. I just had a list and what key I did the song in and if I used a capo. Now I do 3 different types of gigs. With so much material I need to have music for two of them, mostly as a crutch because I go from guitar to mandolin to lap guitar. I don't need it for all the songs but I still need it. Oh yeah I'm not as young as I once was. Sometimes I think  I have too much on my plate. I never had anyone complain about it.
One other thing. I have songs that I bring just in case someone requests something  I don't normally play. I make it a challenge to myself. It makes me step up my game. I've been playing for years and take my music very serious for my audience. I want the best for them and I've played years for the same people.
The last thing I can say is if you bring music along or you don't, just do your best and have as much fun as you can and no one will care . Your audience will love you either way.

Joe

I need lyrics and chords in front of me. Do I like it? No, but I just can't remember the words and chords. I've come to live with it. It takes a little extra time if someone asks me to play a song, to get the guitar out and set upmy IPad on a stand, but people rarely comment on it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

unclejoesband wrote:

Not that I'm aware of. There will be plenty of jitters and I fully expect to make mistakes so not having that documented is OK by me.

A comeback after 30 years and no one offering to record it? Not totally sure, but it can be done with a cellphone or tablet and get reasonable, if not great quality, Joe. If we lived closer together, I'd be there with bells on! smile

Your Pal

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I have a difficult time remembering lyrics and music, most of the time I don't even know what day it is.  I've seen the pros use teleprompters set up where the audience could'nt see them. There's no shame in using the tools that are available.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Q How do you get a rock guitarist to stop playing?
A Put sheet music in front of him.

Bluejeep said it best . If the pro can use prompters I think we can use music sheets and stands.

Joe

like tyson i have around 5 hours of songs that i can call upon if needed. trouble is over the years i've got lazy and do mainly the same songs each gig. i have to vary them for different audiences of course. my wife keeps telling me i should learn new songs! but i cant seem to remember the words like i used to. so a music stand would be a god send i suppose, but my eyes are failing too and wearing bifocals is a road i don't want to travel down if i can help it. i know of a lot of acts around south wales who do use stands, i've got one for my studio.

one question bill, do they sit down to play as well? that would be the big sin for me, sitting down reading dots from a music sheet. it would remind me of those dance bands you used to get in ballrooms. showing my age now.....:)

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I stand  I  find that  sitting  restricts my lung power  so I  tend  to have  the music stand  around  waist  high  so  I  can see it  but  the  audience  can see me .

Phill,

No, they don't sit down and I agree. Peter is 50 and very active otherwise, so neither he nor his bandmates have an excuse to sit.

You're from Wales?

Maybe you've heard this joke?
=========================

In an airport bar a guy was sitting next to a small group of ladies speaking in what he thought was a Scottish accent, so he leaned over and asked, "Excuse me, are you ladies from Scotland?"

One of them, obviously a bit miffed, replied, "Wales!"

"Oh, I do beg your pardon! Are you whales from Scotland?"

smile smile smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I saw these gadgets at a local music store, so a person can clip their tablet to their mike stand. Whether sitting or standing, it looked like a great idea:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/joomla/images/ik_images/product_page/iklipxpand/iklip_xpand_main_image_718x450_srgb.jpg

Here's the link to the site where there's more detail:

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/iklipxpand/

If I ever get a tablet, it would be a welcome relief to farting around with a clumsy ring binder.

18 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-01-30 21:34:13)

The fellow that I get together with occasionally has one of those. He loves it.

Just to be clear, I would NOT look down on anyone for having their music in front of them. For most orchestras, that's the norm. I just prefer not to.

Oh! That's just for the clip!. I was goin' "dayum!" and already hunting for the plastic which my wife hides from me. wink

Yeah, I'm a bit behind in the "tablet dept." smile smile smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

nice one bill, from my experience we welsh don't mind being mistaken for scots (jocks) smile but not english  hmm

i saw  chap use one of those clips in tenerife. he also had a couple of beautiful guitars, must pay well lol

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Oh! That's just for the clip!. I was goin' "dayum!" and already hunting for the plastic which my wife hides from me. wink

Yeah, I'm a bit behind in the "tablet dept." smile smile smile

Bill

Not a bad price for something to firmly hold your $1300 Touch Pro....... but then you have to get one of these things:   http://boomerthefootmouse.com/
AND find room on the pedalboard for it!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have an IPad stand. It's great

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Don't kid yourselves - popular bands have been using teleprompters for many years. Those things on the floor that look like monitors (speakers) - guess what - many times they are monitors. Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, Bon Jovi, yes even Paul McCartney (and even I know the lyrics to most of his songs!) use them. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me!

http://www.etnow.com/images/general/news/large/164336647_6316.jpg

http://www.phillymag.com/news/2011/03/0 … eprompter/

Aerosmith

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/kygl.com/files/2012/06/aerosmith_teleprompter.png?w=300&h=200&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89[img]http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/bruce-springsteen-uses-teleprompter-in-performances-does-it-matter/2012/03/30/gIQAQTXGlS_story.html

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Tom Petty

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6e12a7at31rqo2mvo1_1280.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

25 (edited by Grah1 2015-01-31 08:55:05)

I need one please can  we organise a benefit concert called lets buy graham a teleprompter cos he has the memory of a goldfish ....lol