Topic: Your Own Review(s) Of Your Gig(s)?

Y'all probably already do this, but if you don't, do you think this might be a good idea?

On Sunday afternoon/evenings, just sit down and think about the weekend's gig, and post some of the mistakes or awesomes you and/or the band made?

I know I'd like to read them and it could be that one of us might learn a thing or two either to or not to do.....

In the "not" column for yours truly, it'd be (when I was drumming): Stop trying to twirl your damn sticks, Bill! wink

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Your Own Review(s) Of Your Gig(s)?

I'm always looking for things to do better but I don't generally wait until Sunday. I'm good at beating myself up right now. smile

Fine with me, BGD. Just don't be too hard on yourself! smile Sunday was just a suggestion anyway. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I think everybody is their own worst critic.  Like BGD usually right after whatever.  My biggest fault is a result of usually playing solo or with one other person either as vocal or accompaniment.  So, when in a group which occasionally happens, I have a hard time not playing all the instrumental.
The nice thing about a group is that if you are well rehearsed, nobody has to work that hard to fill out the sound.  Solo, you are all of it.... and it is difficult to back off and let things happen naturally.

Takes practice and I'm working on it.  Backing tracks are a big aid!  Of course more and more practice too.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I haven't gigged since university days (late 70's) but there certainly is one "performance" I recall from Grade 12. If I'd thought through the outcome, I never would have done it.

During Grade 12 winter carnival, my school had a talent night. I entered as a solo act, and did a 3-song tribute to my fallen hero (Jimi Hendrix) who had died 2 years before. After doing "The Star Spangled Banner" and "Purple Haze", I finished with a Hendrix-style version of "O Canada", closing it with the opening barres of Brahm's Lullaby. I was the typical angry young man, who viewed my country as an apathetic nation asleep at the switch. Well, sir ... the fireworks from that!

A sound lecture in the Principal's office the next day by senior staff left me no doubt as to what their opinion was of my disrespect for our national anthem. And looking back, they were absolutely right. It's a memory I'll always have, but more important is was a lesson I truly needed to learn.

The  thing  about  self  criticism is you always know  when you  have  played  the  bum note  or forgot  the  words ,half  of  the  time  if  youve  got  the  start  and  finish  right  the  audience  dont realise ,( our  old  fiddle  player taught me  that   a long  time  ago )I  remember   once  completely  making  a  total  balls of Seven nations  army  and  the  audience   calling  for  us  to  play it again  at  he  end  of  the  set ,(maybe  they  wanted  to  see  if  I  could  get  it  right, lol )

Wow! I sure appreciate the candor, guys! I once (and posted about it here, I believe) tried to sing and play "Legend In My Time" - The Johnny Cash version - and couldn't keep myself from tearing up and consequently choking up, as it was not long after his passing that I did that. I finally just said "eff it!", cleared my throat and did "Under The Boardwalk". One person told me I was short-changing the audience when I tried to do the tune, "so take it out of your song list."

TF: Did you introduce what you were about to do, or did the audience "get it" on their own? Also were you regularly in the Principal's office? Pretty brave (as well as angry) "young man".

grah1: Did the audience really notice the mistake or was it just you who did? In other words, did they throw fecal material onto the stage? I remember something a pilot once told me (and I am sure you've heard it as well) "Any landing you walk away from is a good one." No matter, you got it right (to your own satisfaction) the second time, so you must have had a kind-hearted audience.

Doug_S: That's a self-criticism I don't think I've ever heard before. and I had to read it twice before I "understood" it. Are you saying you don't practice enough, and so leave out much of the instrumental "break"? If that's the case, I would love to have seen the faces of your fellow musicians when they realized it. "There's FIVE more bars!!!!" smile smile

Anyway, these are all just my opinions and y'all know that "opinions are like a**holes, everybody's got one."

I'd love to hear/read more, because one of my favorite things to do has always been playing (and talking about) music. I can talk to you about Beethoven all day long, for instance.

Thanks for sharing!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

No Bill, I guess i should have phrased it differently.... I'm mostly solo.... play the bass line, and melody and fills (and yeah I'm one of those darn fingerpickers.... think Mark Knoffler style).  When you are sitting in with a say 5 piece band, much of that is done by others, and if you play it "your way" you are stomping all over the other fella's musical phrases.  Usually it sounds terrible, and it's usually something that I have to think about NOT doing.

Bill it  was  only  me  and  the band that  realised what  had  gone  wrong the audience  seemed unaware .
I think we are  always  our  own worst  critics, which can be  a  good  thing  as it  keeps  you  humble .
I  would  hope  never to become  a prima donna  like  some I  have  observed  .
A  few  years  back I was in the  same show  as  a famous  Greek TV personality  who  played a rock star in his show ,he arrived  sat on top  of  the  courteously bus refusing  to ride inside it ,  spent most  of  his set  riding a  skate board  round  the  stage  and shouting at  the  sound  guy  when he  felt  his  mic wasn't  right ,at  the  hotel  he just  disrespected his  band  and wouldn't speak  to  us  "mortals"  What  an A*****e!!!!!!! this  was  some  one  who  really  needed to  look inside himself and take on board  criticism.

Well, I am a solo act too and last summer had a great gig playing every weekend on the deck of a local lakeside restaurant/bar. One night towards the end of the last set, I was playing an origial song and I only play a couple of them a night. I do mostly cover songs. Halfway through the song I notice this women watching me with tears streaming down her face. I'm thinking this is so bad I'm making her cry, lol! After I was done and packing up she told me that my song had "touched" her and she liked it very much. It was one of the best compliments of my music career. Knowing that though my music I was able to touch someone. It almost made up for all the flubs and gaffs that sprinkle my gigs!

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-25 15:48:44)

Good Morning, Doug and Grah1! smile

Doug, sorry. Sometimes it takes me a couple of times, but usually I do finally get it. I see what you're saying and yeah, backgrounds would certainly help, I would think. Do you just get asked up from the audience and are therefore "put on the spot"?

Grah1, then that's great, right, and you were asked for a reprise of this very fine tune? Is it possible the guy was just getting into character? (Your prima donna, I mean) or was this guy a complete piece of shit? I guess only you would know, so I'll go by your description of him.

I just looked at your location and it says "Snowy Settle", which I at first read as "Seattle", but you're in the UK, right? ANy of your stuff on YouTube, my friend?

Again, thanks for everyone's candor. I don't think you'd tell these things to me if I weren't a fellow musician and I know to appreciate that.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

12 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-25 15:48:11)

hummin n strummin: That counts as an "awesome" in my book. When I lived in Moenchengladbach, Germany. I once stopped and listened to a young Polish girl singing, "Rocky Mountain High" and the same thing happened to me. She mispronounced a lot of words on her "gittur", but that made her all the more endearing. I agree, that's the best compliment you could have had! smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

As folks are bringing up old stories from the past, I'll add one.  It happened 30 years ago on March 1st (my birthday).  I've never gigged much (not since my high school days when I was a drummer) as I prefer to just sit and pick around a campfire with other musicians. However, the winter of '84-'85 I agreed to play at a local watering hole/restaurant.  The deal was $50 and all I could drink to play from 9-12, however, if there was a good crowd, I could make another $20 if I played until 1:00 am. 

The first time I played, several of my kayaking buddies showed up and as they were all heavy drinkers, the bar owner was happy with the money she made and the waiters liked the good tips.  I was heavy into whitewater boating back then and told the owner I would only play one Saturday night a month through the winter when it was too cold to spend every weekend on a river somewhere. Each time I played, there was an ad in the paper for "River Rat" night as I mostly played originals I'd written about river running. Sometimes I was joined by a couple other pickin' friends to add banjo and bass to the mix.  In mid-February, I got a call wanting me to play again in a couple weeks.  I agreed, forgetting that the date was on my birthday.  When I realized it, it was too late to change the gig.

I was setting up equipment when a couple paddlers from the Cincinnati area walked in. I asked what they were doing in my little town and they told me the word was out that I was playing and it was my birthday so they came to help celebrate. Although my drinks were free, I told the bartender to give them each a drink and put it on my tab.  Soon there were boaters from around Ohio, Kentucky and West Virginia joining the crowd and I bought each one of them their first drink.  One kayaker even cut his Florida vacation short to be there.

Needless to say it was a wild night, with constant requests for river songs along with a few covers to keep the local patrons happy.  I played the extra hour but should have stopped earlier as I had been over-indulging in adult beverages and could feel my lips growing numb and began slurring words, all to the delight of the crowd.  When the evening was over, the bartender added up my tab and found that after deducting my pay, I still owed them $4.  I'll have to say, it was one heck of a party and one I've never forgotten. =)

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Great story, Dirty Ed! I especially liked the part about the numb lips. wink I drank a lot when I was drumming, but I don't think my lips ever got numb. I missed my cymbals a lot, and didn't dare try to twirl the sticks, but never numb lips.

You must have had quite a show if you drew in that many kayakin' folks. Any of your river songs on the Tube?

And what a hell of a birthday party that must've been! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill theres  a lot  of my  stuff on you  tube ,reverbnation  and  sound cloud some  solo   some  with  GB Blues band

16 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-01-25 22:54:35)

Found you on the Tube (and left a couple of comments), but thanks for the other locations. Gonna sit back and watch you "in concert", mate. smile

Bill

ETA: One of those comments was left with your rendition of Jim's beautifully written tune. Grats, you two! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Great story, Dirty Ed! I especially liked the part about the numb lips. wink I drank a lot when I was drumming, but I don't think my lips ever got numb. I missed my cymbals a lot, and didn't dare try to twirl the sticks, but never numb lips.

You must have had quite a show if you drew in that many kayakin' folks. Any of your river songs on the Tube?

And what a hell of a birthday party that must've been! smile

Bill

A few years back I often played at my good fishing buddy John Locke's open mic venue.  One of the attendees would occasionally record some of the performances and post them on youtube under "englishmanjohn".  Here's one of my originals from back in 2008:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHsenGdNw2g

From that song you should be able to link to some others under my given name "Ken".  I think there may be a couple of my river tunes ("Bluestone" and "Quetico" come to mind) as well as several other originals I played back then. Thanks for your interest Bill.

By the way, I used to twirl my sticks back in the day too.  Actually I was a lot better drummer than I am a guitar picker. I played in some rock bands and even spent a couple years playing in a 17-piece big band. (Still love those big-band songs from the 40's) I even taught drums for a while (mostly rudimental drumming to junior high kids). Attending my first bluegrass festival put an end to my drumming days. Folk and bluegrass became my passion, sold my Ludwigs and never played again.

DE

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks, Ed for the reply and the link. I'll be visiting and leaving comments! smile

I too am a much better drummer, and my set is still set up in the music room (actually the front living room, my wife is graciously letting me use). I should use it more often, I guess, but here's the problem with that:

Because of my dementia, I now have a very short "wanna do it" span. I'll be sitting here at the computer, think about playing a little (either one of the instruments), but by the time I get to the music room, I go "nah" and come back to the computer. It gets worse. I can be lying in bed, have an idea to do something or write something, make a move to get up, and BAM!, the idea has left me. We're talking about a matter of seconds!.

I have since moved my Jasmine in here (the office) and it's sitting to my right in its stand, ready to play, and I have done so. For instance, our Peter Benson has some very nice classics on YouTube where I can see his chording, and I have played along with him on several tunes.

I felt the need to explain that, and I'll try to keep mentioning my "problem" in the future, but that's how it is. smile

Thanks, Ed!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Gents and ladies I would like to introduce myself and rub electronic elbows and swap lies, swat flies sing lullabies eat French fries, laff share and mingle with musicians that care,,,,,,,play at the fair, take chances, dare themselves bare their insides talk of the soul or splain to me the difference between a f hole and an A hole, but focus on the guitar on the latter.  Bit of a clown, played a bit with some guys, but moistly drank my path to AA and that isn't a 707 but could be an 86 in some cases. Live rurally in a log cabin, girlfriend who I have driven out by leaving strings and pics, slides and harps, a music room that looks klike a Rock and roll heavy metal band got out of hand, resophonic steel guitar was the last straw, has no musiclove unless she is in control, Too bad she is leaving I could be famous  for 15 minutes at 65 yrs old that many minutes is a day when we were young and bored, aot a stella guitar 16 yo bd present, heard it was the choice of the old blues men, course I didn't have a clue back then, my folks said is that the cheapest one? My dad sais sold American, at least its cheaper than a gun. My career took off like a bullet with no powder, no electric amp, lungs and a camp...fire.  In my head visions of the thousands that would come to see, a 16 yold trying to master the chord C. Oh the imagination took over as I played the local festivals and remember once playing in a milk truck van with hippies peaking on LSD, I was Segovia Hendrix,Clapton, Lennon, Don Ho Larry welk, they were trippin in the dark, they would appreciate tuning up Oh wow! FAROUT, Heavy, So cool a wandering Jesus, a blathering fool.  They may still be there my shot in the dark at stardom and in that hour it was there. They were seeing notes and feeling the sound better appreciators Ihave never found. Me, drug-free as beer was not a drug back then, blew my ego and not my mind. Loving people and one of a kind.  By the way, name is Lee Truman, human being. Disabled retired, time, to explore music some more. play acoustic one man band harp Dylan was my start, but I go back to Kingston trio, Chad Mitchell, Washington Square folksters Ramblin Jack, Donovan, Jesse Winchester, John Sebastian, old blues fender resophonic Taj Majal, Rollimg Stones, Beatles blegrass, Roots Music, black white or regqae, Keb Mo, traditional country
Williams , George Jones, cASH, tHE bAND,  TOO MANY TO LIST JAMES TAYLORJ NEAR THE TOP. TO GO ANY FURTHER WOULD MAKE YOUR EYES DROP.  Its not all of me,but a fair share. not looking for fame not lookin for money, just that sweet feeling I long to play with like minded folks, entertain people or on a nice day, find folks that love creating or recreating a tune, to while away a Sunday afternoon.  I just have not found that combination to commit  to 4njoy the dream I have. I have a place beautiful log home a porch a half a dozen guitars, banjos, electric pianos computers recording stuff, not professional, but know computers, basics of recording, but too many hats is not my goal.  Want to put my head into band of equals not EGOS, for the hell of it, the fun of it the fellowship  whatever, need not be clever.  AT anyrate Chordie is the best thing to come along since sliced Wonder bread and what would take a semitruck of song sheets fits nicely in a 100 dollar Kindle, which iw my girlfriends so I WILLSQUINT INTO MY SMARTPHONE.  GLAD TO FIND THIS FORUM ENJOYED YOUR TALES OF DERRING-DO AND BOOGALOO. SAY HELLO, EMAIL proofed@yahoo.com or under my name on facebooki   LEE Truman  I have several FACEBOOKS that keep coming back  look for flimflamsamiam@gmail.com and that is current   Happy Trails

Live&Let LIVE

Hoowee, proofed!!! smile You sound like Peter Wolf of J. Geils! smile

Reading about your favorite bands, singers etc., made me think of myself, so the fact you're 65 and like pretty much who/what I do, makes you fit right in, in my book anyway. I'm new here (this time) myself,  so I can't speak for anyone else, but like you, I am impressed with the camaraderie and charisma I found here. When I am here, I can picture myself sitting in some Chordie member's music room, having a beer and knocking out some tunes and laughing and playing up a storm. wink

I'll leave the rest of the welcome to our host "what's in charge" and will just say I'm glad you're here, have fun and get ready for some great fellowship, as you say.

All the best, proofed!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Greetings Lee, and Welcome to the Chordie Forums!  It's about time you made the jump from "lurker" to "Family" I'd say.... you got all the qualifications. 

Loves Music of all kinds...............................Check
Correct age group (over ten and still breathin')........Check
Not too shy...........................Check
Hasn't offended anybody seriously since 2012 (exceptin' maybe girlfriend)...... Check

Yup, you oughta fit right in!  Pull up a stool and make yourself comfy!

Doug

Welcome too chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

....... by the time I get to the music room, I go "nah" and come back to the computer.........
I have since moved my Jasmine in here (the office) and it's sitting to my right in its stand, ready to play, and I have done so.

--------------------------------

Since I wrote that, I put all four of my guitars (2 basses and 2 6 strings) in here with me, along with  2 amps (the LINE 6 and the Fender G-DEC.) I'll move the bar stool in here tomorrow and I'll be set for my lessons. I'll shoot y'all a couple of pics so you can see how crowded it is now that the "girls" are back here with me. The other three were missing Jasmine, so that's settled too. smile

But.... no more excuses for the short "wanna do it" span. Now it's not "wanna" it's "gonna". Got my 4th Jamplay lesson tomorrow. I'm starting from scratch and hopefully will unlearn some bad habits in the process. It will also give me the chance to actually sit and play comfortably along with my friend Peter Benson, who has some great stuff on YouTube.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

A few years ago several of us "Chordians" met up at a campsite in Virginia.  Don't let Dirty Ed fool ya.  He's a very VERY humble man, amazing picker, fantastic storyteller, and a freaking blast and a half to meet in person.  Upon meeting his wife last year at a Chordie get together, I swear I was meeting one of the sweetest women I've ever met in my life.  Also, very humble and so pleasant to be around.  Anyhow... I do have a few recordings gathered together and photos from the VA gathering posted on the tube.  smile  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD8Oe-BBMOQ  - The first song is Dirty Ed, with one of his most requested originals at the campfires.  The next is me with a cover.  After that is Zurf with one of his originals (or it's a DE song?  I'm losing my memory on who owns that song for sure).  After that is the amazing Normtheguitar all the way from the UK with his magical fingers.  Jets60 with his beautiful family, Mekidsdad (my hubby), and GuitarPix and his beautiful fun loving wife were also in attendance.

On topic - I don't really have any real gigs to speak of.  I've played with my Dad at an open mic (that we pretty much took over), and filled in during the breaks at a Birthday Party once (people wanted to know why they didn't start out with me playing and singing since I was more relaxing to listen to for the older folks - they didn't realize I wasn't "hired" which was a pretty cool feeling).  I made a buck or two busking with my daughter at a local open air craft show.  Been singing in public since I was a kid, but my knees still knock when I know people are watching.  wink

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

You and your daughter were busking, Amy? Right out there in the open???!!! smile smile

I commented on your YT link, btw.

Thanks for the share and the link!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass