1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-03 19:49:30)

Topic: Looking For A Written Auto/Biography Of The Dave Clark 5

Some of my younger friends are are probably saying "Who???"

Or maybe not. I find our younger generation ("X"?) is a lot more hip to The Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. than we think. But many of us who were teens at the time of the "British Invasion" tend to forget about the DC5, who had a unique sound, using the saxophone freely, and as far as I know the guys all got along unlike The Beatles

Anyway, I've scoured the net, but am wondering if there might be an "unauthorized" biography out there somewhere? So can any of you recommend a source - maybe in the UK - I can investigate?

Thanks!

Bill

Edited to add: 3 of the 5 have passed.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Looking For A Written Auto/Biography Of The Dave Clark 5

i was a big beatles fan in the 60's (still am) and at the time of "glad all over" i began to fear that the dave clark 5 would take over, but they didn't...phew tongue

they had some great singles but unlike the beatles never worked too hard on their LP's.

did you ever see their film "catch us if you can"? i saw it when it came out but i haven't heard anything about it since.

i believe dave clark became a big record producer. i didn't know about the 3 that are no longer with us. RIP to them.

PS, sorry cant help with any biographies sad

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Howdy Bill,  Not much help I'm afraid..... but there is a pretty good write up:    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dave_Clark_Five
and there is a fairly complete listing of references as well.  Sorry I couldn't come up with a "book"..... these days if there was one available, you could gather up an e-book version and dig in!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank you, Doug,

I was able to piece enough stuff from the web together so I could get an idea of what went on in the later years, but from the beginning, Dave (whose band it was, after all) had set himself as the band's manager and producer, so he became their own Brian Epstein.

I think Dave will come out with something soon. I am interested about The Five's early years. They started together in the fifties and I'm curious as to how those years paralleled The Beatles'.

Thanks for having a look!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I saw DC5 at Blackpool in the 60s when they had bits and pieces in the charts  they were guesting on the Dick Emery show which was playing a summer season at the winter gardens theatre.they mimed to two songs and smiled alot at the audience and dancing girls.

I was with Johnny Green and the Greenmen in Honolulu and we opened for DC5 this would have been around the mid 60s or so they wore there very high collars and I could tell they were uncomfortable but they played a good set

"Growing old is not for sissies"

7 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-04 15:23:57)

Grah1,  Easy money, that miming/lip-syncing. I wonder if the audience feels short-changed?

Russell, I got to know them when they wore tunics like a doctor might have worn in the 60's. In fact, there was a whole line of those kinds of shirts launched here in the US. Pretty much al pastel colored. I had 5. High School status symbol. smile Johnny Green. Have I seen that name and The Green Men somewhere? I'm getting a tingle in the grey cells. smile

Thanks, you two!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Heh-Heh. Old man that I am, sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop, Russell, sorry. Here we go and it must have been great playing for Batman!

http://www.johnnygreenandthegreenmen.8m.com/

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-02-04 23:29:21)

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Heh-Heh. Old man that I am, sometimes it takes a while for the penny to drop, Russell, sorry. Here we go and it must have been great playing for Batman!

http://www.johnnygreenandthegreenmen.8m.com/

Bill

I came on with the band after the batman show i joined the band on the night of the east coast blackout in Boston and stayed with the band for around 5 years we followed Credence clearwater revival in Honolulu at Betty Ryleys ago go cool gig
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-GEhCiuKdBdc/VNKqXK0zpoI/AAAAAAAABJE/1Bx-FTFJ-ig/s480/IMG.jpg

this photo is over 50 years old

Cool.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Look at those Paul McCartney eyebrows! Were you the band's "eyecandy"? And one more question: Are those folds in the picture, or did someone get mad at you?

You don't have to answer that last one, Russell! wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill on UK radio today  there was an interview  with  Dave Clark and  it  seems  that   BBC 2 have  a  documentary that  is  being  shown  on Sunday Feb 15th  so  if  you  have  access to a proxy server then you  should  be  able  get it  via  the  BBCs i player  service alternately you  can probably  watch it  live  using  Filmon.com.

Grah,

Thank you, Sir! We get one of the BBC channels on our cable. I'll have to take a look, but will bookmark Filmon.

Thanks again!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Good  luck  Bill I  would  offer  to record it  but we  dont  have  the  equipment

15 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-05 18:03:35)

For Phill:

Please excuse me having missed answering if I'd seen "Catch Us If You Can"/"Having A Wild Weekend". If I have, I can't remember it. I don't think it compared with any of The Fab's, though, or we'd be seeing it, remixed, remastered and resold. smile

Thanks!

Bill

ETA: I don't think Dave was all that great a drummer, but like Ringo, he played "time" just fine and he had that "stomping" going for him. Just my opinion as a drummer.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Look at those Paul McCartney eyebrows! Were you the band's "eyecandy"? And one more question: Are those folds in the picture, or did someone get mad at you?

You don't have to answer that last one, Russell! wink

Bill

The photo is very old and was not placed in a album so it suffered a tad and we all had our share of admirers smile