Topic: Salmon River Gathering anyone?

I know a slew of you are big into fishing.  The east end of the fabulous NY Salmon River is just a quick 30 minute drive from my home.  I've taken the kids up to the fish hatchery in Altmar (http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/55681.html) and the falls just up the road are an absolute beautiful walk any time of the year, you can go the difficult route or the easy way (I have some really cool pics on my FB page) ...

http://cnyhiking.com/SalmonRiverFalls050.JPG

Here's a fishing map for your consideration:  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ … alrwpm.pdf

Pulaski, is an easy stop off the i81 and just up the road a bit from Altmar as well if that's a more desired fishing spot. 

It seems the most popular times of year for fishing the River are around March and September.  My question is, if you were making a trek here, would it be for the running of the Salmon?  Should I consider planning this around them in September possibly? 

If we are talking September, then I might need to plan for next year as we'd probably want to rent a location that has heat and running water as it can get a bit too chilly for sleeping in tents around that time in NY.  Also, the rentals at prime fishing season are week long rentals (the fishermen are pretty serious about their fishing around here), so I'll need a good solid response with number of folks that will likely attend. 

If just a chordie gathering for guitar playing, and a day on the river - Salmon or not - is more your style, we can absolutely plan that for a summer get together at either a local campground or a few days at a fishermans rental. 

Let me know what you guys think.  Altmar, NY this summer or next fall for salmon???  Anyone?

I think some of the Canadian and PA Chordians could easily make this event.  I know it leaves our west coast friends out still... although they're more than welcome to make the trek if they see fit.  Perhaps Normtheguitar could even attend if you're already planning to visit the Big Apple ... it's only a 45 minute plane trip from NYC to SYR and we could easily find the Mrs. a nicer motel/hotel to stay than a communal fishing trailer or tent site!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Salmon River Gathering anyone?

What a gorgeous spot, Amy ... breath-taking! If I was to come, I'd have to leave the guitar home to leave room for fishing tackle! (LOL). Seriously, as much as I'd like to attend, commitments at home / work seldom allow such things.

Here ya go... a link to the album of a trip to the falls with my girls (hiked down and then back up the VERY STEEP path to get to the bottom of the falls!) And there's a few pics from the Upper FlyFishing area as well.  Clearly, we weren't fishing but just taking in the hike and beauty!  smile

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 4018587232

Hmmm, very interesting! Thanks for the kind invitation, Amy! That would be a great addition to our NYC trip, if we could work out a date that would work for everyone. I think we are unlikely to visit in the heat of the summer, so a fall date would probably be more suitable. Anyway, will give it some thought...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

5 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-07 21:28:10)

Y'all ever heard of Atlanta? smile smile

We have the Coca-Cola museum. ROFLMAO

Or we could all meet at Panama City Beach in Florida, that's only about 350 miles from us.

They have the ocean and Dondra wouldn't have any trouble making that drive.

Only kidding, y'all. Have fun wherever you go and give me a number so I can at least call and say "Hey" on the speaker phone. Or something. smile

Bill

ETA: That's beautiful, Amy!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Beautiful pix Amy.  As much as I enjoy fishing, standing shoulder to shoulder with other fly flingers during salmon season isn't my idea of fun. I float streams and fish to get away from crowds and people so a time of year when the crowds and river activity is low would be my preference.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Good to know DE!  I know Zurf said the Salmon River was on his bucket list (fishing bucket list?) at some point, so I wasn't sure how that worked.  I grew up fishing out of a boat in a lake with lots of peace and quiet, worms being the bait of choice.  I don't know a darn thing about fly fishing!  smile  So, if Zurf feels similarly, then we just have to figure out what time of the year (and which year) Paul and Mrs. Paul plan to visit Lady Liberty.  wink 

BTW Paul... the fabulous Niagara Falls is only about a 3 1/2 hour drive from me as well!  Up here in NY, our hottest days are in July.  May and June, August and September are pretty decent.  If you want to see the changing of the Maples though, you'll want to visit in October (and "winter" starts at the end of October so don't stay too long, especially the further north you head!).

Tenement Funster... While Canada in general is awful close to NY... I suppose where you ARE in Canada isn't quite so close (unless you took a plane).  I just Googled it, and you'd be looking at a 15 hour drive!  HOLY CROWS!  If only you were in Toronto or even Kingston!

It's looking like my June is pretty booked up.  July is the month where I'll be burning a bunch of leave camping with my family.  I'm not sure I'm going to figure out a getaway to upstate NY this year.  I love the idea, though.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As it turns out, we've got a few weddings and a Family Reunion to go to out of town this summer.  Assuming someone decides to throw a funeral into the mix... it's likely we won't be planning a huge gathering this year.  If we plan this for next year, what are your thoughts, Zurf?  You want to be knee deep in fishermen, or just float about like DE?  Exactly what does your ideal Salmon River trip look like in your mind's eye?  If I can help make it happen, I'd love to!  It's so close to my home, I can rent a place a year in advance to ensure room during the busy season (um... kinda have to do it at least a year in advance if you want to be here during the running).  Or... I can find some campgrounds (NY has lots of really nice State Parks for camping), and of course if we want to be even lazier... we can always just hang in the back yard!  I've got plenty of space for tents.  Or, if you're feeling really peachy, we have some 17 acres of uninhabited wooded land and we could just call it a true outdoor experience.  Although... I personally prefer to have some running water and a toilet nearby myself.  wink

Amy

This has nothing to do with going camping.  : ) 

I just listened to some of your songs that you posted and I wanted to tell you that you have an outstanding voice.  The energy,pleasantness, and fun like passion that you emit is awesome.  I was only going to listen to one song, but I  really enjoyed listening so much,  I found myself going to and fro among your songs.  Very nice !!   Enjoy the blizzards and sub zero weather we are experiencing in upstate NY !!    Thanks for the ear candy, it made for a pleasant early Sunday morning  Amy.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Agreed 100%!!!! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I'll second that! Or third it. Whatever...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

/\ /\ What they said! /\ /\

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eBE14yR3QcI/UR5S-6_BBLI/AAAAAAAAAJA/wvrCYZXyJ1E/s1600/blushing-emoticon-facebook.png
Awe...... thanks for the compliments guys!  I'm just glad someone enjoys listening.  I hate to thow myself out there for people to just wrinkle their noses at and pass by.  smile 

Oh btw... TIGLJK isn't too far from here too.  So if we do this... you better be here!