Re: Your Weather

Zurf wrote:

I think that bridge used to be a landmark for me to know where to turn for getting to a beer distributor I liked when I was up that way.  I went through the intersection last time and wondered what happened.  Was it just down the road from the several waterfront dining spots at a sharp bend where there was a boat dealer?

Yep. That's exactly where it was. If you're traveling south on Rt 15, you pass through the riverfront dining area and come to a light. Turn right and you'll hit that sharp bend. Turn left and you cross the concrete bridge that the steel one collapsed under; the one in the video with people standing on it while the dislodged bridge was approaching them. roll

topdown wrote:

I picked fresh tomatoes and planted peppers and cucumbers last weekend

Probably a good think I can't make it to Cordiestock. You wouldn't have any tomatoes left. smile

I can't even work the ground for another 2 months and if this cold doesn't let up soon, It'll be May till I get a garden started.

102 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-02-26 11:00:07)

Here's a scene from near here, that really shows how the heavy blanket of snow is affecting everyone. Here's a group of bald eagles fighting over a few dead chickens for a meal. They'll attack anything when they're hungry, venturing into places they normally wouldn't:

http://rstorage.filemobile.com/storage/21768620/1085

There's also a crow hovering around (airborne hyena) scavenging for leftovers. We got nearly a foot of heavy, wet snow yesterday afternoon ... getting real sick of it all!

Wow! I've never seen more than 3 bald eagles together in the wild.

A foot of heavy. wet snow? Ugh!!! Talk about a workout for a snow blower or a shovel .......... That's some labor I'm glad I'm missing.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Cool pic!!

Eagles are just starting to make a comeback around here. I saw my first one in the wild last summer.

We do tend to have a lot of them in our area, but they don't normally act like this unless food is scarce. These pics are from a community called Sheffield Mills yesterday, which is about 15-mins drive from our place. Here's another pic of them fighting over the food, like a bunch of buzzards or vultures.

http://rstorage.filemobile.com/storage/21768616/1085

We can stay in our warm homes with cupboards full of groceries, but I feel bad for the wildlife when ongoing harsh weather causes them to suffer like this. Several poultry producers in the area often have chickens which are not fit for market, so they are discarded. For eagles, hawks, owls, coyotes, etc., this is the only food they can kind find in weather like this.

Been nasty here all week. We've had rain, freezing rain, sleet and snow. Yesterday we got 3 to 4 inches of snow which should all be melted by the end of day, today. Have 60 / 70 degree weather predicted for this weekend and next week with more rain. Too wet to plow, too much rain to fish, too old to cuddle with the wife for more than a few minutes. Guess I'll just sit here drinking coffee and watching TV.

NELA

After a week of mid to upper 50's, we're back to 40F and a cold, all day soaking rain. As dreary as it sounds, I'll take this over any more snow. Looks like winter has finally released it's icy grip.

We got approx. 35 cms (15 inches) of snow yesterday, and today's high winds are creating drifting problems over much of Nova Scotia. Our fishing season opens on April 1st, but it doesn't look like there'll be any open water by then. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr ... sad

Finally had a nice mild day yesterday, the snow is all melted and the sun was out. It gave me time to repair the heat pump from damage that occured when the entire roof full of snow and ice fell and caved in the top. Maybe spring weather is about to arrive. Today looks like it will be sunny and mild. I really need a break from winter weather.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Nice n pretty here. Tree's beginning to bud out. Ground a little wet so I can't turn my garden over. Got more rain predicted for later this week. My boat is in the shop so I can't go phishing. Got 3 songs by Diamond Rio printed out so I'll start learning them later today. Coffee pot is full so I'm working on emptying it. If I get time I may take out my pocket knife and trim my toenails.Maybe watch a little TV. Take a nap. Gonna be a busy day for me.

Nela

Forecast says we're going to hit 50 today!  I'm hoping the ground starts thawing soon... I've got melt off from the snow running toward my basement but until the ground thaws I can't divert it elsewhere!  50 though, a HEAT WAVE!  Might have to sit on the porch!  Maybe even pull out the grill if the snow's not too high in front of the pole barn.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

We have mid 70 degree weather the next 10 days. Watch out for that heat wave Amy you might get sunstroke. I do hope it will get warmer for all you in the cold areas.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

A tropical 65 here today! 

No snow left except along the side of the road where the plows made their deposits.

unclejoesband wrote:

No snow left except along the side of the road where the plows made their deposits.

LOL. Amys most likely calling us a few words we may not care for.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:

LOL. Amys most likely calling us a few words we may not care for.

That's OK. I was using some of those same words on Jeff last week. smile

Okay, okay, okay ...

You guys in the warmer climates are driving me nuts! All this talk about sitting on the deck, trees budding, BBQs ... I'm green to the gills with envy.

Weather man is saying it going to get up to 82 degrees today. My wife has been after me to fertilize the lawn so I got the horse tied out in the back yard - he'll take care of that while he eats grass. May do a little tractor work later today and clean out the horse stall. Right now I'm going to eat a late breakfast and then get ready
for a nap.

NELA

I can see green grass in a few spots... but the shovel won't go in further than a 1/2 inch... frozen (except where the deer pushed all the snow away to get to the acorns a few weeks ago), and the snow on top is just melting and pooling and creating puddles on top of ice.  We're expecting snow, just in time for spring!

mekidsmom wrote:

I can see green grass in a few spots... but the shovel won't go in further than a 1/2 inch... frozen (except where the deer pushed all the snow away to get to the acorns a few weeks ago), and the snow on top is just melting and pooling and creating puddles on top of ice.  We're expecting snow, just in time for spring!

We need snow here and you need sunshine,something is wrong.

mekidsmom wrote:

We're expecting snow, just in time for spring!

Yeah, go figure. Our snow is all gone and they're calling for snow again Friday night.

For the next 7-10 days we're back to highs in the mid to upper 40's and lows in the low 30's. Guess I won't be pickin' on the patio for awhile yet. sad

dino48 wrote:

We need snow here and you need sunshine,something is wrong.

I propose a HOUSE SWAP!  big_smile  We have more water available than you can imagine!  Once all this snow finally does melt, my back yard will almost be a pond for a few months due to a spring fed well running through it that isn't draining anywhere (except clearly my backyard).  We've got a lake nearby as well that might just flood over the next month as well.  You'll have plenty of water!  I'll gladly take the sunshine off your hands and go by the old rules "if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down".  I swear, I can do it!   

It is strange though isn't it?  I can't ever recall any serious drought like conditions in NY and we worry about flooding every year from snow melt, but it's an ongoing issue in CA.  I remember being there last year and the people being so excited for a little sprinkle of rain and feeling so out of place for the water I take for granted (and complaining because I wanted the sunshine CA's known for - dumb tourist LOL).

122 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-18 11:33:05)

Another dumping of snow last night, and it's still coming down. here's the view out our living room window, as of 8:15 this morning:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-bP7cVp9Hp3o/VQlh33GcXVI/AAAAAAAAAEw/QWoNq8IMEWo/s800/P3180385-001.JPG?gl=US

OK. I'll stop complaining about our weather now. roll

What do you have there, 8" or so?

We have the MOTHERLOAD of snow,,,   just another Canadian winter...

badeye   cool

one caper after another

I really don't mean to rub it in, but it's pretty damn nice here

https://scontent-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10350626_10206294855840458_6555149118100201040_n.jpg?oh=cc5f6dda7f30f529ca74d728a506b349&oe=55AF668C

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!