1 (edited by beamer 2015-02-27 00:14:49)

Topic: The minister or the show

Who do you call?
Is it a band in the show or
The minister in the stole

Religion is an easy high,
a drug with minimal cost
The more supposed sin 
The more the feeling is lost.

Trying to find your place,
No longer living under grace
Not feeling you can get it
In the traditional place

Thirty pieces of silver
Won’t get you into heaven
Neither will a ten piece band
As you reach up waving your hands.

Ministers’ Standing at the pulpit
words about God that sting
You know you are a culprit
Now your head spins as they ring

The choices you made will follow you
That traveling preacher knows it too
Don’t try to tilt the scale
For the ratio of win or fail.

Religion is an easy high,
a drug with minimal cost
The more supposed sin 
The more the feeling is lost.

Who do you call
When your loved one is ready to go?
Is it the band in the show or
The minister in the stole

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-02-08 17:53:51)

Re: The minister or the show

That's a deep one, beamer.

Personally (and this is not a criticism, my friend). I've always considered religion and faith two separate entities. (Iknow "faith" doesn't appear in your poem) and I left the "man in the stole" a long time ago.

As far as religion being of "minimal cost". Not sure what you mean exactly, but those TV "Evangelists" make me think otherwise.

Again, this is just my reaction and is not meant as criticism, my friend. I like what you wrote and the way you wrote it.

Thank you for making me think a little today, beamer! smile

Bill

ETA: would the word "the" fit between "supposed" and "sin"?

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

i agree with bill there, very deep. nice write.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by beamer 2015-02-09 22:08:44)

I Posted both these  today pretty QuickMix,, so Now for the background on this particular one.  A few weeks after I wrote Jesus Train, I was on FB chatting with a old friend  who had been a church camp counselor who became a Episcopal Priest/minister (pick your favorite) and I sent him Jesus train to read.  We then talked about How certain types and attitudes have been around lately....

Well this song is a direct result and many of the lines are complete lifts out of it.  Mark Was stating how he has parishioners leaving his Parrish (Traditional Episcopal)  and going to the big mega church with the 10 pc praise band and they feel " So Blessed"  ,,,, Until a family member dies.  Then they run back to him (because he actually knows Liturgy and theology.) and ask for him to read the rights. and that gave me the idea for the question   Do you want the minister in the stole (any faith that requires formal education , then a seminary, then the ranking of deacon and up,,, not the loose use of the term deacon as it is widely used today)  Or do you want a staged show?

the line:  Religion is an easy high, a drug with minimal cost  IS a direct quote.  and growing up the son of an Episcopal minister I get it fully! LOLOL

As you can tell I am currently SICK of all this "lets show everyone that im so ____ godly and (UGH dont even like the word any more) "blessed".     I have faith and beliefs,, I just don't feel the need to say  Im blessed  I got a good parking spot today, oh god is so good"  (actual statement from a person) I got news for them people GOD (if you chose to believe in him or her) dont give a RATS ANUS about your parking place.

OH and as for the music on this song,,, if you can remove the original vox from this ,,,, this is the song that was jamming in the back and I was singing and writing to. (read "way beyond my talents!")   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NipQYqT-OTU

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I like it.  I like them both, actually, though on the Jesus Train I'd have to hear it.  Some of the meter and rhyme scheme was hard for me and might take some editing as you put music to it. 

Anyway, I liked it despite having been a bassist in a praise band at a church where there were hand waivers.  There's a time and a place for different things.  I think that's what you're getting at, or at least what I'm taking from this poem.  There's a time for entertainment, and there's a time for worship, and there's a time for study, and they're not necessarily all the same things!  Hmm, seems that Ecclesiastes had that message and The Byrds repeated it to great popularity among a less-than-religious group of people. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good job, Scott.

Nela

Hey guys give this a re-read. I just gave it a few tweaks to smooth over the rougher parts. let me know if you think it flows better