Topic: re new strings for Classical Guitar

I have not been playing for several years i would like some advice on new strings.Is there a softer/lighter   string for tender fingers I find the ones I have now are very hard.I think i need a lighter string is there such a thing for classical guitar/

Re: re new strings for Classical Guitar

I prefer D'Addorio strings.  I no longer have a classical, but I used that brand and another brand I can't recall.  But I don't think there's any way to avoid the tender fingers thing until you build callouses.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yup. Just need to power through it. smile

La Bella 2001 Light Tension.  I've seen them for around $8 on sale (regularly about twice that) long lasting and come to pitch and stabilize fairly quickly.  The lower tension might ease the pain for awhile to get through that "awkward" phase, but don't expect really high projection (volume). That's the trade off.

One thing to try and avoid is the tendency to press too hard on the string... you can't do anything about the diameter of it digging into your tender fingertips, but really you only have to press enough to contact the fretwire, not imbed it into the wood between them!

I too like D'Addario strings, but I think the La Bella strings are softer so a good starting string until those calluses get back.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug if string tension is the issue would a drop tuning help?

I don't play a lot of nylon but know that fret hand pressure is critical.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Doug if string tension is the issue would a drop tuning help?

I don't play a lot of nylon but know that fret hand pressure is critical.

True!  I grab mine now and then... but not as often as I should.  The biggest drawback to drop tuning on nylon, is that the intonation seems to go bad fairly quickly if the tension is excessively low or high.  Think it has to do with the way the string has to vibrate at given lengths (much as all string instruments) but the nygut is less forgiving it seems.  Other's opinions may vary, and it may be a variable that different strings may not all be prone to.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

La Bella short scale is what's on my daughters guitar. They are pretty easy to use. Still don't think tinglefingers can be avoided though.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hmmmmm,  I never managed to build any type of callouses up with the nylons,  it wasnt until I switched to steel and it wasn't for a lack of trying. I used to use Daddario Pro Arte lights.  Now that I have callouses, any old nylon works just fine.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'm a personal fan of the D'Addario Pro Arte Composites, which are available in Normal, Hard, and Extra Hard tensions ... I just use the Normal's. They also make the Pro Arte Rectified, which come in a Moderate tension. These might make things a bit easier on the fingers, if string tension is causing your difficulties:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai … te_Tension

OR ... they make the Pro Arte Polished, which are smoother, if friction is the cause of your suffering:

http://www.daddario.com/DADProductDetai … al_Tension

I also don't spend as much time with the Classical as I do the others, but there are some songs which won't "work" any other way, especially when converting from a piano arrangement. I hope this is helpful Harvey ... and welcome to Chordie from a fellow Canuck!

Thanks everyone.I am working on them hope the pain is worth it.