Topic: Genre

My wife and I often discuss songs I include in my set list and I frequently get you cant do that its not folk or its not blues or its not country .I find it difficult to pidgeon hole songs as I do thing many cross over the established boundarys .For example dead flowers by the rolling stones is it a country song several cw artists have covered it  or is it a blues song ,it doesnt follow traditional blues patterns but the lyrical content  ticks the box.In contrast Neil Youngs Cortez is it folk rock or is it cw.
I'm playing a 30 min set next week at CW club and this is my set list

Falling and flying
Sleepy vampire
Tulsa time
Dead flowers
L&N dont stop here
Cortez
All coments and views welcome

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-01 12:05:55)

Re: Genre

Good things to think about, Graham.

There's a lot of great music out there that just won't be pigeon-holed. There was a Chordie member last year (Lee Wanner) who started a thread called "Music That Defies Genre", or something like that. Some groups / artists have a signature sound that's just original, and incorporates bits of this and that into it. While we do have umbrellas that suggest certain things (classical, blues, jazz, country, folk, rock, etc.), it's also good to know that music itself won't be bound by our index system. An example that comes to mind is "Seamus" by Pink Floyd. No one would ever include PF in a list of blues bands, but that's what this one certainly is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdEiH6BbiDQ

Your set list shows that you play what you like, and it can be from any genre you like. Your audience is in for a treat by the looks of your list, and it doesn't hurt that they're going to get some variety. They'll probably appreciate that fact ... hope the gig goes well. You still in the UK?

Play them in major pentatonic and use a bunch of hammer ons, and you can call anything country.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

To me, the crowd and setting should tell you what to play. Having said that, if you have any knowledge of the setting you can change you song list accordingly. Another thing you can do is to get the crowd involved. Ask the if they any requests and, if so, to write them down on a $20 dollar bill and pass it up. I notice you have a Don Gibson song, Tulsa Time, on your play list. By changing the key and the words you can add "Achy Breaky Heart to your playlist. Always remember - if you get the wimmen folk up and dancing around the men folk will be watching them and not throwing beer bottles at you. Happy Honkey Tonking

Nela

As a long time follower of Neil Young I must say I've never heard anyone cover Cortez,
A more common number would be Cowgirl or Down by the River. Both sound good played either on acoustic or electric. I'm sure you'll do a great job Graham, will you be posting the set on YouTube?

Thick as two short planks

Yeah if the camera works and if i can get my utube account working again Ill post some vids

Cortez The Killer is a great Neil Young song. I've played it quite a bit over the years,mostly as a request. I think it fits well with the set list you have above. Nice mix you have there,should go over very well. Have fun!

I like your set list. Fallin and Flyin, Cortez and Tulsa Time are in my set list.  How about a Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard song. They work well for me anywhere I play.
I 've seen a video or two of yours ,I think you'll do well with your list. Just have fun and the crowd will too.

Joe

Johnny  cash  covered l+n  but  I  do  have  a  few of  his  songs  in my  catalogue  if needed  ,Incidentally I  was  talking to  the  director of  our local  theatre this  afternoon and  she  said  we  havent  had  a country  night  here   for  ages  so   maybe I'll  get  to  put  a  full night together later  this  year .

10 (edited by dino48 2015-03-03 19:46:49)

Garth Brook's Igot friends in low Places is country and they love the song in Bars,also some Willie Nelson and Waylon,I have heard neils cortez and do not consider it country. You might put in Rawhide like the Blues Brothers did in there movie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dino  do  you  feel  the  rest of  the  set  is  ok  I put  Cortez in to  show  off   with  the  guitar  at  the  end  lol...

Graham, if nothing else you got to post Cortez. I've heard plenty of other stuff by you and I know this will be a blast.

Thick as two short planks

I think  I  have  a  recording of it  from the  last  time  I did it live  about  5yrs ago  If its on this computer  I'll post it but  It might be on a disc at home in Crete,

14 (edited by dino48 2015-03-04 01:33:22)

Grah1 wrote:

Dino  do  you  feel  the  rest of  the  set  is  ok  I put  Cortez in to  show  off   with  the  guitar  at  the  end  lol...

Most look OK. But Dead Flowers. Is not a country song.. I think Monkey man from the stones would be great.:-) :-) The Eagles Desparado and Tequla Sunrise are country rock.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Well I  must  admit  the  gig  went  well The set  was well recieved  but the camera  true to  form failed  I really need a  new  one  two songs  in  green screen  nothing  else  ,when I came  off  I switched it  on and   ,,,,yeah it  worked perfectly !!!!!!!!! Pam managed  to  get  a  good  recording  of  fallin and  flyin  so  Ill up load that  when I can .

This  is  an mp3 of  the  same song at  the  gig https://soundcloud.com/graham-windle/fallin-and-flyin

I could not get the video too play on this computer,I will try on the other one in a day or so.

Dino this is just an audio track the vid was very shaky so I just lifted the audio