1 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-04-18 00:35:47)

Topic: A student of mine

John has really made progress since he started taking lessons with me, he is left handed so there were some obstacles to overcome but things are moving along nicely and I composed this instrumental arrangement I left out a lead work to help him with his timing;
I removed this video

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: A student of mine

YouTube will not allow me to pass comment Russ.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Go John, bet you got real buzz out of it.

The King Of Audio Torture

Roger Guppy wrote:

YouTube will not allow me to pass comment Russ.

I will take a look at my settings and see if this is disabled Roger if so I will correct smile

easybeat wrote:

Go John, bet you got real buzz out of it.

oops! I hit the report button instead of quote lol He did and his wife is thrilled John has worked hard and deserves a lot of credit he can also play a solid B chord too and other 2nd positions I showed him two ways to bar the B one with his 3rd and the other with his pinky the pinky is the easiest for him (and me) it requires less stretching and strength

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-03-20 14:09:03)

Comment left on YT. Great job, John! Keep it up.

Russell is that Strat a pale blue? I can't tell, but if it is, she's a beauty.

All the best

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Comment left on YT. Great job, John! Keep it up.

Russell is that Strat a pale blue? I can't tell, but if it is, she's a beauty.

All the best

Bill

Thanks Bill! yes is is a pale blue I have three strats the white one has three hot texas coils the Green has three fender and the pale blue has two fender and a humbucking (HSS) all three are builds I am playing a Modern Players Tele on the video and my Gibson les Paul is in a case at the moment to keep it safe

Comes in good on my computer . Nice song !

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Comes in good on my computer . Nice song !

Thank you dino more and more I am using my older Dell desktop running the extinct windows xp no updates but I have good anti virus and it is a lot faster then my laptop (at the moment) it sounds good too running thru my 32 in. flat screen and surround sound
kind of the best of both worlds

Its doing a good job you should keep it as long as you can.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

Its doing a good job you should keep it as long as you can.

I forgot to mention I filmed the video with a Sony HDR-MVI movie cam it dont zoom or take photos just videos and the sound is recorded on the cam on a mini 5 GB card

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-21 09:36:05)

Hi Russell ...

It must be very satisfying for you as a teacher, to have a student make such progress. He's obviously being taught the right things, and is also motivated to put in the effort and time to learn what you're showing him. That's great work by both of you, all the way around.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Hi Russell ...

It must be very satisfying for you as a teacher, to have a student make such progress. He's obviously being taught the right things, and is also motivated to put in the effort and time to learn what you're showing him. That's great work by both of you, all the way around.

I must admit it was like pulling teeth the first few weeks John had a problem with timing and he has large fingers + he is left handed after thinking about it I came up with basic theory to teach him the value of notes and gave him an old unused yamaha portable keyboard with a cheesy built in drum effects to use as a metronome this turned the corner for him. The next thing was to work on his hand and wrist positions and finger placement it helped that he was determined to succeed my message to him "timing is the most critical part of music without it your playing noise" sunk in yes I am pleased.

That's awesome, Russell ...

For most people, learning anything typically hinges on a key piece of info or a viewpoint, that connects us to the "big picture". As a good teacher, you quickly found that "key" for John, and the door of understanding unlocked. I coached soccer for 9 years (16-18 yr old boys) and fine-tuning a player's skills was as much about reading his individual preferred learning style, as it was about soccer itself.

Nicely done, man ... the world's a better place with more music!