Topic: Windows 10

I thought I would let chordie members know that windows 10 will be out soon so if you are thinking of buying a new computer you might want too wait a little longer. They have videos of its operating on youtube. I think they are going too offer a free download version too windows 7 people.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Windows 10

Thanks for that Dino.
I run windows 7 so I'll keep an eye open for it.

Thick as two short planks

I saw a remark from Microsoft that there will, for a limited time, be a free upgrade for 7 and 8 users.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

THANK the powers that be!  They are putting the start menu back and getting rid of the terrible "metro" that I purposely go out of my way to avoid!  YAY!

Just checked into this, it's supposed to be a free upgrade to current 7 and 8 owners for the first year once released.  I signed up for updates from Microsoft, and I'll let ya's know when I see some updates!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

5 (edited by dino48 2015-03-22 00:42:44)

mekidsmom wrote:

THANK the powers that be!  They are putting the start menu back and getting rid of the terrible "metro" that I purposely go out of my way to avoid!  YAY!

Just checked into this, it's supposed to be a free upgrade to current 7 and 8 owners for the first year once released.  I signed up for updates from Microsoft, and I'll let ya's know when I see some updates!

Thanks Amy I would like to try it out. Roger said it will be for a limited time so I hope we can get it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

mekidsmom wrote:

Just checked into this, it's supposed to be a free upgrade to current 7 and 8 owners for the first year once released.

I looked in to this as well. Yes you can upgrade for free but it's only good for a year from the day you install it. What I can't find out is, what happens at the end of that year if you decide you don't like it and don't want to buy it? Does MS uninstall it from your computer?, shut your system down because you are now in possession of pirated software? They aren't addressing that scenario.

unclejoesband wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Just checked into this, it's supposed to be a free upgrade to current 7 and 8 owners for the first year once released.

I looked in to this as well. Yes you can upgrade for free but it's only good for a year from the day you install it. What I can't find out is, what happens at the end of that year if you decide you don't like it and don't want to buy it? Does MS uninstall it from your computer?, shut your system down because you are now in possession of pirated software? They aren't addressing that scenario.

Good point I am going too keep looking and try too find out more,I will let members know if I find out something important about that.

dino48 wrote:
unclejoesband wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

Good point I am going too keep looking and try too find out more,I will let members know if I find out something important about that.

dino I am also interested in this I run windows 7 on my laptop it the cost is reasonable it is ok

"Growing old is not for sissies"

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-22 10:18:03)

Currently using Windows 8 here, on a laptop I just bought 13 months ago. I just hope that their new version is truly an upgrade; not all of their changes over the years have been improvements (thinking of Vista). Windows 8 has a heck of time trying to keep my HP print driver loaded. Have to redo it almost monthly.

Here's an article worth reading: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 … ed-copies/

My opinion is that Microsoft is heading to a "subscription" Business Model, and like Office 365 you will wind up paying annual fees to continue using and getting support for the operating system (it should be fairly low cost), and by "giving it away" for the first year (even to non-genuine users) you will find that you are locked into the new version and it will be difficult (if not impossible) to revert to your previous version.  By doing so, they get all those that have been "stealing the use" back into a positive revenue stream and make paying customers out of those who were not.

Awhile back I had a failing power supply let the smoke out of the mainboard of my desktop running Windows 7 Pro.  After a new power supply, board, and processor, my "genuine Windows" wouldn't work as it identified itself to Microsoft as invalid.  The activation key was generated using unique identifiers of the hardware when initially activated, and I had exceeded the number of hardware changes that would allow me to do anything except buy another license for the software. With a new version of Windows coming down the pike, it didn't seem prudent to shell out the bucks for an operating system that was on the short list..... so I'll be watching how this shakes out with interest.  The legal beagles up in Redmond are already waffling on how to deal with who should (or shouldn't) get what, and until I'm sure that 10 is a stable and viable improvement that is cost effective, I'll stay with Linux....... Thank You!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Well, dino

Thanks for that heads-up, my friend. My wife and I had been dreading buying Windows 8 because we'd heard so much bad stuff, so we're looking foward to the download to 10. I do understand it is for a year on a trial basis, and then you have to buy it or revert, is that correct, guys and ladyies? smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

planned obsolesance ... genius of the business world. 
same reason you all know that right after the warranty is up, shit - happens !

These guys aren't the wealthiest people in the world for no reason.

Just plan on buying a new version at some point - it's less stressful smile  - you can't beat them.

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

I do understand it is for a year on a trial basis, and then you have to buy it or revert, is that correct, guys and ladyies? smile

Thanks

Bill

That's the way I understand it.

The thing is, they aren't coming right out and saying it. It's a rather vague offer. I'll probably just stick with 7

Where'd 9 go? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I will look deeper into this. The impression I got was that if you upgrade within the first year it will be free. If you wait it will cost.  Period.  But I will dig deeper for sure! The public release should be this summer, so we've got time!  smile

Ok, here ya go, from MICROSOFT's Blog Dated 1/21/15:

"Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release. We think of Windows as a Service – in fact, one could reasonably think of Windows in the next couple of years as one of the largest Internet services on the planet."

When they say, "as a service" they mean there won't be major SP update packs, it will be more smaller regular updates (free).  As long as you own the OS, you'll be golden.  If you don't upgrade within the first year of it being released, then you'll have to purchase the OS.  So... pretty much, once they release it, you have a year to decide to upgrade or not for free (don't go buying a new computer after that year is up if it doesn't have 10 already installed).  Windows is trying to think like Android.  Users get regular updates to operating systems on their Android device and you never have to pay for the update/upgrade.  It's a "service" provided for free.  This way, the computer manufacturers will be the ones doling out the cash for the operating system, saving us dollars in our pockets.  Of course, Microsoft is still making tons of money.  If having upgraded Windows is cheaper for us, we're more likely to use it, and more "apps" will be added to it making Microsoft more money on the back end that way, the same exact way Android Dev's are making moola. 

Personally, I'm considering backing up everything I have and beta testing it before it's released as a stable version.  smile  I HATE the UI of Win 8 THAT much! Anyhow, you've all got like a year and a few months to figure it out 100% and I'm sure Microsoft will be clarifying everything before that time is up, many times over.  I did see some info where people were taking what they said out of context and insinuating it would be a "paid for service" after the free upgrade, so I understand the concern.  My opinion is that it's not.  I could be wrong, I'll admit there's been one or two times when I was.  LOL!  smile

I read it about the same as you did Amy. I think if we all keep an eye out we can figure all this out. I will let all know if I find something new,there are a lot of posts on youtube.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Where'd 9 go? smile

Bill

I heard that they bypassed 9 so's folks wouldn't get confused and think they'd resurrected Win 95 or some later version of it.

Amy,  I was reading last night (in the wee hours) that the verbage has been changed from "customers" to "consumers"..... and specifically defined a difference between home and enterprise users.  From what I gathered, if you are running "home or home premium" you are golden so far as the free upgrade goes.  For those of us using "pro or enterprise" or are volume licensed (like businesses with many seats on one copy), and I was one of those who purchased like that for all the machines in our group of users (10).  There is something else coming...... and it could be painful (or not).

Most of our hardware has been upgraded (or replaced) over the last couple of years and so almost everyone has migrated to 8.1+.  But I'm an old guy who like many has their roots in a keyboard and mouse venue.  Metro on anything not built for "touch" is cumbersome at best, and although 8.1 and likely 10 will run just fine on much of the older hardware out there that could run XP. The option of NOT having to change the way we navigate around our workspace will be a plus for taking advantage of the upgrade.

Yeah Doug, I did catch of whiff of something different for Enterprise Users, although I didn't look in detail on that one yet (no personal need for the info).  I think the plan is to convert all those that refused to give up XP.  I hate 8.1 for that reason you stated, it was designed more for the touch interface.  I think the plan with 10 is to bring back the mouse/keyboard friendliness, while still offering the ease of touch.  I'm with you.  I don't want a 21" touch screen monitor.  I want to sit comfortably a few feet from the monitor personally.  If I want to be close enough to touch the monitor, I grab my tablet or phone.  I have zero plans of ever migrating to a windows based phone.  Which means someday I probably won't use Microsoft because it won't be long until the PC is obsolete anyway.

The only thing that I don't get, is why they aren't planning to upgrade XP users for free?  Those are the "consumers" they need on board who are more likely to jump ship, and as I understand it, once you go to a Mac you won't want to go back.  I'd be there, I just can't afford a Mac (well, maybe if we stopped buying guitars)!

Now, if Google came up with something that wasn't quite so internet dependent... I'd be jumping on that ship.  I just don't think I'm ready to deal with a Chrome Book, although I've considered it quite a few times, as I find 99% of what I do IS actually online.  It's that 1% of software that I use that keeps me on a PC (like recording). 

Conclusion for me, if I didn't play guitar, I wouldn't need Microsoft.  Hmmm... ... ... They need to get some music related software included!

mekidsmom wrote:

The only thing that I don't get, is why they aren't planning to upgrade XP users for free?  Those are the "consumers" they need on board who are more likely to jump ship, and as I understand it, once you go to a Mac you won't want to go back.  I'd be there, I just can't afford a Mac (well, maybe if we stopped buying guitars)!

Now, if Google came up with something that wasn't quite so internet dependent... I'd be jumping on that ship.  I just don't think I'm ready to deal with a Chrome Book, although I've considered it quite a few times, as I find 99% of what I do IS actually online.  It's that 1% of software that I use that keeps me on a PC (like recording). 

Conclusion for me, if I didn't play guitar, I wouldn't need Microsoft.  Hmmm... ... ... They need to get some music related software included!

Seems to me that they did an upgrade option to migrate to 7 from XP, and again from 7 to 8.0, but that was such an "ugly mess" that nobody hardly took them up on it.  When 8.1 update 1 came out it would run well on older hardware that you would HAVE to upgrade to run 7..... so at least not everybody would need to buy a new PC (which folks like Intel are lamenting).  Kind of got them back in the hunt for low-cost upgrading of Windows and that is a good thing.

Then there are us guys that jumped ship entirely to Linux, and by the way, Chrome and Android are both Linux based custom distros. We might not want to sign on to Windows ever!  I can do most everything I used to do on Win7 on Ubuntu and there are plenty of applications to do it with as good or better.  OK there is not a Netflix application (but there was) at the moment..... something to do with licensing.  But if you NEED  Windows applications you can run them in the Wine Virtual Machine inside the Linux shell.

Examples:  Need MS Office = try Libre Office
                   Need Photoshop = Try Gimp
                   Need 3DSMax = Try Blender
                   Need Reaper or Pro-Tools = Try Ardour
                   Like Audacity = Use Audacity
Most everything is Free Too! And WiFi is optional, stuff runs on the device not the cloud, so if you have electrons.....