Topic: noise shaped dithering?

can anyone explain to me what noise shaped dithering is? whenever i go to transfer finished recordings to disc on my DP24 it asks me if i want to use it? thanks phill sad

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: noise shaped dithering?

???????????????????????????????

hmm nose shapped dithering sounds kind of kinky i have it and dont use it somethings are best left alone lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

i've never used it either and seeing as the master doesn't either, then it's good enough for me,i shall leave that bit in the box (metaphorically speaking lol)

grah, it's a feature on the Tascam DP24 recording device, it's the dogs doo dahs for home recording, you can record a whole band on separate tracks all at the same time, if you want, or just one track at a time...simples  big_smile

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-03-23 23:05:58)

Phill,
Dithering is the process of intentionally adding noise to the signal prior to its quantization. Dithering turns quantization distortion all the way down by randomizing quantization errors.
Dithering is mostly used when down-converting from the higher resolution bit-depths - such as 24-bit or 32-bit - down to 16-bit, the actual standard for distributing digital audio files. Dithering is also used during the analog-to-digital conversion and inside A/D converters, although noise inherent in the analog signal often serves as a natural source of dither in these cases.

I really have no idea what that means, I have enough trouble playing f's and bm chords!

With that said,   my mama used to tell me that if I dithered to much I'd go blind, so I just did it til I needed glasses !  smile

Hope you had a great day Phill - with or without dithering!

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-23 23:20:01)

I think it's a helical engramic non-kopf off of a slogged tubilcore.

I think it has something to do with flux capacitance. Great Scott!

^^ My 1,300th post was about Back To The Future. Awesome.

Tenement Funster wrote:

lol makes perfect sense smile

Baldguitardude wrote:

^^ My 1,300th post was about Back To The Future. Awesome.

I have it and it will remain one of my favorites to watch smile

it so much reminds me of the old Steve MArtin Comedy routine - which I still use routinely when there are things I don't understand -   anyone remember this?
“Ok, I don’t like to gear my material to the audience but I’d like to make an exception because I was told that there is a convention of plumbers in San Francisco this week – I understand about 30 of them came down to the show tonight – so before I came out I worked-up a joke especially for the plumbers. Those of you who aren’t plumbers probably won’t get this and won’t think it’s funny, but I think those of you who are plumbers will really enjoy this…

“This lawn supervisor was out on a sprinkler maintenance job and he started working on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ gangly wrench. Just then, this little apprentice leaned over and said, “You can’t work on a Findlay sprinkler head with a Langstrom 7″ wrench.” Well this infuriated the supervisor, so he went and got Volume 14 of the Kinsley manual, and he reads to him and says, “The Langstrom 7″ wrench can be used with the Findlay sprocket.” Just then, the little apprentice leaned over and said, “It says sprocket not socket!”

“Were these plumbers supposed to be here this show…?”

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Tenement Funster wrote:

Everything on the recording forum reads exactly like this statement to me.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Phil I  was  given a  tascam  the  year  before  last   with  an internal   power  fault   but  I  couldnt  get  any  info  from tascam  re  circuitry   they  just  wanted me  to  send it  in for  repair  maybe  I'll   fix it  when I get  back  to  greece.

the problem seems to be that i am too dumb, i didn't understand a word of any of it, including what i wrote. having said that i can play F's and B minors...not at the same time though roll

Phill Williams wrote:

can anyone explain to me what noise shaped dithering is? whenever i go to transfer finished recordings to disc on my DP24 it asks me if i want to use it? thanks phill sad

You might try making two disc recordings and use the ditering on one to find out what the difference is.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

You might try making two disc recordings and use the ditering on one to find out what the difference is.

Someone has already done that and you can check it out here:  http://productionadvice.co.uk/when-to-dither/

Along with several articles to support the premise and recommendations on the page.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

thanks doug a very interesting video and looks like a good website for home recorders to check out.

thanks again.

phill