Topic: Blue laws in your state,county,town etc.

things are getting boring here so I thought we could bring up some old or still intact blue laws where we live. I will start with  spitting the   only place it is legal here is on a Baseball pitchers mound. I have more but I will save them for later.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: Blue laws in your state,county,town etc.

well i know its suppoed to be funny  but the blue laws governing the sale of spirited beverages still is alive and well in tx.  no sales after mid night except on sat and then its 1 and sunday iks beer and wine only. Sucks living in the buckel of the bible belt

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Unusual subject, but I'll bite.

First we have to clarify what a "Blue Law" is.....?  OK I looked it up and don't see any that apply to Oregon, but as I understand it they are ordinances that prohibit certain activities on Sunday (as a religious day).  That might not allow consumption or sale of booze before noon for instance, because all "good" folks should be in Church, not a Bar.

Now if you were referring to Laws that are still on the books even though they are outdated?  We got a Few of those that never got repealed.

For instance: It is perfectly legal to walk down the street armed with pistol, shotgun, or rifle.  AND enter ANY public building, school or office (except the Courthouse), OR place of business...... but you cannot carry a metal lunch pail on the sidewalk of downtown at any time!  I guess "brown bags" are acceptable (unless it contains an open bottle on Sunday).

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Unusual subject, but I'll bite.

First we have to clarify what a "Blue Law" is.....?

Thanks Doug. I don't feel completely out of the loop. roll

Here in Pa. we only have 2 Blue Laws left on the books. No car sales by dealers and no hunting on Sunday.

Hmmm... there's no sales of Alcohol in NY before noon on Sunday.  I did look it up and found this, "Alcohol sales for consumption off-premises are not permitted between 3 AM and 8 AM on Sundays, while on-premises sales are not permitted between 4 AM and 8 AM on any day"  - so apparently it's local law that dictates not before noon not state law, but I've never seen a bar or liquor store open before noon on Sunday. 

Interesting note to those in other areas might be NY's Liquor Authority:  Grocery stores cannot sell liquor in NY.  The first time I traveled out of state as an adult I was SHOCKED to find liquor in the drug stores and grocery stores.  I saw stores with signs appearing to be liquor stores that, once inside, looked more like mini marts that also sold cheese, band aids, and cigarettes.  In NY, a liquor store is a liquor store.  The only thing they sell is Wine (real wine, not "wine products"), Champagne, and Liquor, and you can't get that at any other type of store.  Note - Beer, and Wine Products (wine coolers, and disgusting things that resemble wine but are not really wine) are not sold in Liquor stores, but are sold in grocery stores, mini marts, and gas stations.  All liquor stores are privately owned.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

6 (edited by dino48 2015-03-27 17:10:51)

I know of almost all the alcohol stuff. I was talking about odd or outdated unusaual laws. I found californias and other states by going too Ask.com you will be surprised what they have . Like you can not kill mice without a hunting license. It is against the law too own a housecat in the state of California!!.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-27 22:07:06)

We have some similar restrictions here in Canada, although they tend to fall under Municipal by-laws, and aren't usually Provincial, or ever Federal.

That said, my wife and I haven't drank since our early-20's (now late-50's). Yet as tee-totallers and supposed beneficiaries of such laws, we don't understand why anyone should be forbidden to do something that doesn't harm others. We choose not to drink, and we choose to go to church on Sundays. We also have terrific neighbors who will serve beer at backyard BBQs we attend, and we all get along just fine. The guitars come out, friendship is shared, and life goes on. Nobody's there trying to change someone else's mind about what they do or don't do.

It bugs me when self-righteous, pseudo-intellectuals try to impose their "values" on others, for no good reason other than paternalistic snobbery. If people wish to drink, what right does a non-drinker such as myself have to tell them different. As long as someone isn't driving drunk or creating a nuisance, it isn't a problem. Enjoy responsibly!

That's my wee rant.

mekidsmom wrote:

Interesting note to those in other areas might be NY's Liquor Authority:  Grocery stores cannot sell liquor in NY.  The first time I traveled out of state as an adult I was SHOCKED to find liquor in the drug stores and grocery stores.  I saw stores with signs appearing to be liquor stores that, once inside, looked more like mini marts that also sold cheese, band aids, and cigarettes.  In NY, a liquor store is a liquor store.  The only thing they sell is Wine (real wine, not "wine products"), Champagne, and Liquor, and you can't get that at any other type of store.  Note - Beer, and Wine Products (wine coolers, and disgusting things that resemble wine but are not really wine) are not sold in Liquor stores, but are sold in grocery stores, mini marts, and gas stations.  All liquor stores are privately owned.

In Pa. the commonwealth ran every aspect of alcohol sales up until last summer. They finally relinquished their stranglehold and now allow beer sales in grocery stores. Anything stronger is still sold in "State Stores".

Back in the 80's when I was touring, I was shocked when I walked into a convenience store in Syracuse (concert at the Carrier Dome) and saw beer in the coolers.  yikes

Tenement Funster wrote:

It bugs me when self-righteous, pseudo-intellectuals try to impose their "values" on others, for no good reason other than paternalistic snobbery.

Sounds a lot like California. Legislator's always know what's best for everyone else.  roll

dino48 wrote:

I know of almost all the alcohol stuff. I was talking about odd or outdated unusaual laws. I found californias and other states by going too Ask.com you will be surprised what they have . Like you can not kill mice without a hunting license. It is against the law too own a housecat in the state of California!!.

Local ordinances are more commonly "strange" and for some reason stay on the books although they are outdated.  My little town has one prohibiting the consumption of Coffee by, or serving Coffee to Women after 6:00 PM.  ?

Tying your Horse or Team to  a Lightpost is prohibited (I suppose fear of gas leak & fire was the concern here)..... so there is another that requires all businesses to provide "rails, posts, or other devices for securing livestock".  There are a few "hitching rings" set into the sidewalks in the older section of town.  An unwelcome surprise to the skateboarders (which are illegal on public sidewalks) as they are large enough to tie at least two pairs of horses.

Schools are required to provide shelter, hay and water to all horses ridden by students attending.

Our Senate here in GA just passed the legal weed law. Since I no longer drink, I'll wait for it.

Hmm. I've never smoked either, so I guess it will be brownies for me? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Doug_Smith wrote:
dino48 wrote:

Local ordinances are more commonly "strange" and for some reason stay on the books although they are outdated.  My little town has one prohibiting the consumption of Coffee by, or serving Coffee to Women after 6:00 PM.  ?

Tying your Horse or Team to  a Lightpost is prohibited (I suppose fear of gas leak & fire was the concern here)..... so there is another that requires all businesses to provide "rails, posts, or other devices for securing livestock".  There are a few "hitching rings" set into the sidewalks in the older section of town.  An unwelcome surprise to the skateboarders (which are illegal on public sidewalks) as they are large enough to tie at least two pairs of horses.

Schools are required to provide shelter, hay and water to all horses ridden by students attending.

Doug you are the first one too finelly see the post is about DUMB, STUPID, CRAZY, WIERD LAWS. not all about Booze. and ya those are some strange laws you put up. I guess I should have worded it better. No coffee  and no coffee women after 6pm. Wow!

12 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-03-29 11:05:13)

Uncle Joe ... I hear you loud & clear about legislators.

If I buy a small bag of 1/64 ounce lead split-shot to weight my fly line for nymph fishing, there's always a statement on the bag about lead being prohibited in some places. Yet those same provinces / states will promote hybrid cars as being "green" or "environmentally friendly", with each one containing several hundred pounds of lead in their batteries. I'm not saying whether one or the other is right or wrong, just pointing out the hypocritical stances these folk will often take.

It's illegal to ride a camel in my town. There are no camels and so far as I know, never have been.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Most will remember the quirky quiz panel show from the 70's called "This is the Law"

Actor Paul Soles would do a sketch depicting him breaking some obscure law, an officer would come along and arrest him, and the panel had to guess what the law was that he had broken. Most of them were as strange as Zurf's camel example, or serving coffee to women after 6:00. It would have been interesting to be at the Town Council meetings, when these things were dreamt up, debated, and passed into law.

A Canadian law on the books states:

Section 365 a or what could otherwise be called the Halloween Wet Blanket Law that says pretending to be a witch is a punishable offence.

Why it is on the books or what is the punishment for such a heinous breach of the law is beyond me... Only in Canada Eh lol

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

dino48 wrote:

I guess I should have worded it better. No coffee  and no coffee women after 6pm. Wow!

Dino, who cares how you worded it, Buddy? It's a very interesting thread either way and I am enjoying reading it! smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Zurf wrote:

It's illegal to ride a camel in my town. There are no camels and so far as I know, never have been.

Camels???. I just found another law that it is not legal for a women too wear a robe or housecoat in ca. while driving.

18 (edited by Doug_Smith 2015-03-29 18:54:48)

I used to spend my winters in Arizona, so while we are on the subject..... it is illegal to shoot or hunt Camels there.  But like Zurf, have not seen any in the wild..... but there are rumours....

It is against the law for Women to wear pants in Prescott Arizona.  But everyone can carry guns, so good luck enforcing that one without a showdown!

They also have a "domicile Law" that allows you to shoot and kill an intruder to your home (including uninvited guests)...... but a contradictory Law that says you can only defend yourself against an intruder who is armed with an "equal or lesser weapon".......  which brings up the question, does a nine iron trump crowbar in this instance???

Camels were used in the Arizona desert as pack animals back in the 19th century. I don't know whether any have survived.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Camels were used in the Arizona desert as pack animals back in the 19th century. I don't know whether any have survived.

There was a Fort at Tyson Wells with a unit of Camel mounted Calvary.  The Town is right on I10 and named Quartzsite where the Fort was located.
When the unit was disbanded, they did indeed release the "livestock" and hence the stories of herds of wild Camels.  They are either "shy" or hiding down on the Yuma Proving Grounds (restricted military area), or extinct.  It's been years since anyone I have talked to has seen one, and I've had campfire conversations with literally hundreds of "old timers" through the years.  Many of who play darn good guitar and weave entertaining if not totally factual tales of prospecting and hard rock mining in the remote corners of "the Great Southwest".

It is illegal to refuse water to anyone who asks, and you'll be out riding your quad down some remote wash and come upon a camp way out in the middle of no-where.... and get called into camp to have a beverage (sometimes it is water, most times something cold and out of a bottle or can) and next thing you know you're swapping gossip and stories with new friends.  You'll restock your hosts from you own cooler (the one you always have full and strapped to the luggage rack) and make a point of looking them up next time you are out that way.  Even though chances are that they'll have moved camp .......   Maybe next year....

Oh, you just mean weird laws in general!  Well, in NY if you want to get a no-fault divorce, you have to be able to agree to disagree.  Then get a seperation agreement, and be seperated for at least a year before a divorce will be granted.  That's easier said than done! 
"New Yorkers cannot dissolve a marriage for irreconcilable differences, unless they both agree to it."

So if you want a divorce, someone generally needs to be blamed, and specific instances detailed on paper for all to see.  That tends to spark anger, and the other party usually disagrees with the reasoning (even if they want a divorce) which leads to a court appearance high legal fees, and plain old ugliness.  Divorce is expensive in NY. Not sure how other states work, but it always seemed odd to me to force people who clearly can't get along to either get along or fight. Fighting is generally how it's done here.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

In Louisiana it's against the law to hold "fake" wrestling matches.

Also, it's against the law to steal crawfish or alligators, punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment.

Nela

I've read that here in Ohio its illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.  Its also illegal to get a fish drunk.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

I've read that here in Ohio its illegal to fish for whales on Sunday.  Its also illegal to get a fish drunk.

DE

I guess I will not go fishing for whales or get any fish drunk if I visit your state,these are really strange!!!

Somehow I thought that Ohio was pretty much landlocked.  Do you then have your own version of the San Andreas Fault and expect the Eastern Seaboard to break off and fall into the sea (like California)?? Perhaps the "Founding Fathers" who drew that one up were just planning ahead?!!  smile