Topic: NGD

A spur of the moment thing.

I was cruising craigslist last night and happened upon a guy selling an Eastman AC120. It's new but has some finish checking on the face so he was selling it as blemished. With a bit of digging I discovered the checking is inherent on some of the lower end models and it will only get worse as time goes by unless it is completely refinished. It's a Dread with a solid Sitka Spruce top, Sapele sides and back, Rosewood fretboard, Bone nut and saddle and really nice HSC. It sells for $400- $450 at the box stores. I called him this morning and arranged to go have a look. The checking is pretty obvious in the sun but not so much under indoor lighting.

I played it for about 15 minutes and was quite taken with how full the sound was and how well it projected. Nice bright highs, clean mid-range and a nice boomy, but at times, slightly muddy bass. Although that could have been me not hitting the strings cleanly  The neck seems to be slightly wider than my Epi. I kept missing strings on basic barre chords that I shouldn't have been missing. But I could really glide up and down the neck. Very comfortable to play.

He was asking $280. I offered him $200 knowing that someday it will probably need the finish done over. He came back with $250. I countered with $225 and the deal was done.

The light isn't conducive to pics right now but I'll take a couple if the sun ever returns. roll For now here is a link.

http://guitarsnjazz.com/product/eastman-ac120/

Re: NGD

The problem you're describing Uncle Joe is usually a moisture one ... it sounds like the thing has just been stored improperly and dried out. If you hold it up, and look down the length from the body end, does there appear to be a hump where the neck joins the body? If so, that's another sure sign of it being dried out. Once it's placed in a properly humidified environment and refinished, you should have yourself a very nice guitar. That's a great deal on an Eastman ... nicely done!

Nice work. Happy NGD!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Happy NGD Uncle Joe!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

5 (edited by unclejoesband 2015-04-02 00:32:47)

Tenement Funster wrote:

If you hold it up, and look down the length from the body end, does there appear to be a hump where the neck joins the body? If so, that's another sure sign of it being dried out. Once it's placed in a properly humidified environment and refinished, you should have yourself a very nice guitar. That's a great deal on an Eastman ... nicely done!

WOW!! You're good!! I didn't even notice that but upon closer scrutiny, there is an almost imperceptible hump around the 16th and 17th fret. Nice call.  Our humidity hovers in the 42%-45% area in the winter and 50% in the summer. Since I can't access those frets I'll just let things flow and see if works itself out.

I played for a couple hours last night and noticed something I may want to address. It has no pickguard and I already made a few marks on the satin finish. I think I may put one on it. Suggestions????

EDIT:

BTW. Did you do the "pot of water" thing to try to raise your humidity? If so, did it work?

Happy NGD Joe.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

7 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-04-02 01:09:16)

unclejoesband wrote:
Tenement Funster wrote:

If you hold it up, and look down the length from the body end, does there appear to be a hump where the neck joins the body? If so, that's another sure sign of it being dried out. Once it's placed in a properly humidified environment and refinished, you should have yourself a very nice guitar. That's a great deal on an Eastman ... nicely done!

WOW!! You're good!! I didn't even notice that but upon closer scrutiny, there is an almost imperceptible hump around the 16th and 17th fret. Nice call.  Our humidity hovers in the 42%-45% area in the winter and 50% in the summer. Since I can't access those frets I'll just let things flow and see if works itself out.

I played for a couple hours last night and noticed something I may want to address. It has no pickguard and I already made a few marks on the satin finish. I think I may put one on it. Suggestions????

EDIT:

BTW. Did you do the "pot of water" thing to try to raise your humidity? If so, did it work?

Can't remember where I read about the "hump", but apparently the top shrinks when dried out (especially if it's solid wood like you have) and goes a bit concave. That's what they say causes that slight hump. When it gets really dry, they say the neck will even shrink, which results in the fret ends sticking out a bit on the edges. I guess the wood shrinks, the finish doesn't, so that's what causes the little cracks in it. Here's a great article from Marguerite Pastella's website (www.fretnotguitarrepair.com) about how dryness affects the finish:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/repa … cracks.php

Thanks for remembering the moisture issue I brought up a few months ago. What I ended up doing was plugging in a vaporizer we have in the opposite corner of the "man cave", and running it over night for most of the winter. The acoustics have all recovered and are good to go. For next winter, I'm going to buy a proper humidifier to maintain that 55% RH "sweet spot".

Happy NGD UJB!!!!

Happy NGD unclejoe.  feels good to find a sweet deal like that!

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".