Topic: Skype

In Zurf's "practice" thread, someone mentioned trying Skype as a way to fool around a bit. I have an account and use it to play with my brother in Colorado. I've never tried a "conference" call but when my brother calls, Skype will ask if I want to invite others to join. Skype to Skype calling is free. Anyone else interested in giving it a try?

I'm a wee bit leery of posting my account name in the open forum for fear the relentless spammers would try to do something with it. But if anyone wants to send me an email, I would be more than happy to share it with you. I'm available most evenings and Sunday afternoons. I'm in the N. American Eastern Time Zone.

Joe

Re: Skype

I'm going to be in your neck of the woods today picking up my camper. If I had thought sooner we could have found a park somewhere and picked a few songs in the sun.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Don't know if you'll see this before you leave but I'll be in Gettysburg this afternoon playing with a couple other guys. I'll send you an email in case you don't make it back here this morning.

Sorry.  I missed the message.  I was out the door just minutes after the post above.  I didn't have a guitar with me, and my eldest was exhausted because I got her out of bed at 6:45 to help me push the trailer out of storage to where I could get it hooked to my truck.  It's on wheels, but 3000 lbs is 3000 lbs.  I wanted help.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Don't blame ya a bit for not wanting to put it out there publicly.  I use Skype for work, so I'm a bit of a tricky one when it comes to that.  But if we can plan a time to get together, Jim and I will be happy to join you on skype!  The trick to Skype is looking at it like a guitar circle (one person plays at a time) and muting your mic when it's not your turn (otherwise, skype tries to make everyone heard).  smile  I'll send ya an email!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Got your mail. Responded. Thanks. smile

I turn Skype on every night from around 8 till 10:00.

Would like to join in here, but the time difference doesn't really work for me! Have fun, though...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Well, I've been on SKYPE before, but the app really ran down my RAM, so I had to delete it.

As soon as I can, I'm going to buy 4 more gigs of RAM and then try again.

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I only have 4g of memory and I haven't had a problem. Now I don't leave it running all the time. I usually log on around 8 PM and shut it down when I head to bed around 11.

Bill, don't just sign out of Skype when not using, also you have to "quit" the app to get it to stop hogging resources.  I personally don't run the 8.1 metro version (because it sucks and you can't share files and almost everything metro is annoying to me).  A separate download is available for the "desktop" version of Skype.  smile  I have what I consider a cruddy desktop PC (also only 4gb) and desktop Skype runs almost constantly.  Like I said, I need it for work, and I work all kinds of weird random hours throughout the day (plus the managers like to contact me during non work hours sometimes, and my kids think the app is better than a phone).  Even when I appear to not be signed in, I still am.

If the kids comply, I'll be on tonight and I'll hopefully catch ya, Joe!

Try desktop!  Maybe you'll like it!  smile

11 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-04-19 01:50:40)

Amy, I rarely ever use the normal phone for anything and no one except bill collectors ever calls me on it. I would use SKYPE to call my relatives and friends in Germany who have it, but what y'all are saying about calling each other and playing guitar intrigues me a lot and it sure would help the "lonelies" if I could have that kind of contact with my friends.

I'll give it a shot at installing it again tomorrow (Sunday) and see what I can come up with. I have a very good head set with a mic already and maybe you and the guys can fill me in on what else I need to get the best quality sound out of it.

This (written) chat is great, but if I could hear your voices it would be just totally awesome, as the kids say!. smile

Thanks for letting me know about all that. I think when I had the service before, I never shut it down completely and I suspect I could never play games with it running, could I?

================================================

Wishing y'all a great rest of the weekend! Especially my buddy Graham, whose posts and music I miss a lot. It's funny how one can miss someone whom he's never met. It just goes to show that friendliness comes through on the keyboard when you leave yourself open to it.

Get well soon, Grah1 and Pam thanks for giving him the TLC he needs in mega-doses. smile

Loves me my CHORDIES!!!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Sorry I didn't make it last night.  HOPEFULLY NEXT SATURDAY!  Jim had to work last minute, so it was just me and the girls (requiring much Mommy time). 

Bill - Install it on the computer - not the phone.  Group calls won't work just yet on the mobile version.  wink

mekidsmom wrote:

Sorry I didn't make it last night.  HOPEFULLY NEXT SATURDAY!

I won't be around next Saturday. I'm going to, and probably playing, at my sister-in law's 40th birthday party. They live about an hour away and it will surely be late till I get home.

Well lets try to plan for NEXT Saturday... I think that's May 2nd.  big_smile

I believe I'm clear Saturday night. I'll start Skype around 7:00 after the animals are fed.

And I missed ya again.  That's it - no more plans ... maybe it'll actually work out this time.  UGH.  May is a busy month, and with all the nice weather I could likely be in the back yard rather than the house.  I'm sorry Uncle Joe.  Have you had any luck with any of the other Chordians?  I haven't picked my guitar up in a few weeks.  Not good, not good.  I'll have to JUST DO IT and soon!

mekidsmom wrote:

Have you had any luck with any of the other Chordians?  I haven't picked my guitar up in a few weeks.  Not good, not good.  I'll have to JUST DO IT and soon!

No big deal Amy. smile

I didn't have my guitar out all last week and that's unheard of for me.  But I had some big jobs to do and they wiped me out. I had no energy for anything in the evening.

I haven't tried getting together on Skype with anyone here yet but I did make a couple local contacts recently. I have a couple guys coming over this afternoon to play. It's going to be in the mid 70's so we're going to do some patio pickin' today. Probably fire up the grill and have some burgers and beers too. smile