Topic: New strings problems

Hi All I just had new strings placed on my Classical and they dont keep pitch.Is something that happens with new strings and if so how do i fix it?I am new to classical guitars and need some advice.Thanks everyone.

Re: New strings problems

Hi harveyw, new strings need a little time to stretch out, when I put new strings on I give them a few good stretches as I tune up. Even then it takes a couple days to work in. Don't go all swartzeneger on em when your stretching them, I've broken a few that way.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

bluejeep wrote:

Hi harveyw, new strings need a little time to stretch out, when I put new strings on I give them a few good stretches as I tune up. Even then it takes a couple days to work in. Don't go all swartzeneger on em when your stretching them, I've broken a few that way.

Ditto Ihave too retune mine several times till they stay in tune for awile.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Having someone else restring your guitar not a good thing unless there really pro's and if they were they wouldn't be slipping learn how to string classical strings yourself do a search on the web for a video it is the fastest way

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Nylon strings are renown for stretching for ages. When I replace strings on a classical I will leave it tuned up two steps overnight i.e.: F#, B, E, A, C# and f# (I tune it normally for use during the day) and after a couple of nights I find most of the stretch has been taken out of them.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Classical strings aren't as stable to stay in tune as steel strings, simply because they have a nylon core not a steel core. Once fresh strings are installed, giving them a manual stretch on the instrument and then retuning will help. Just go up and down each string individually, and give them a stretch along the length of the string. Be careful when doing this, because nylon strings won't take as much brute force as steels will. You'll probably find that even after the initial break-in period, they keep stretching a bit until you replace them again, so a quick re-tune before you play will usually be necessary. Just the nature of the beast, I'm afraid.

re string stretching  thanks everyone I have taken note of all reply and now will give them a try.