Topic: hofner colorama mk 1

my first guitar,in 1963.I bought it of a mate,stringless, and with just a few wires sticking out of the imput socket (hole) got it fixed at the local sparkies for £1..10 shillings.bought some black diamond strings and the lot cost me £6.10 shillings altogether. It belonged to my mates brother who bought it off a shipmate in the Royal Navy.By gosh I wish I had  it now.I  had an old amp out of a grundig radiogram with valves all over the place and I thought that I was bruce welch !!!

i love my gretsch smile

2 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-05-04 10:05:14)

Re: hofner colorama mk 1

Hi Jimsanj ...

I'd never heard of your guitar before, so did some digging and found this YouTube video ... is this what yours looked like?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajnGV-10fU

I guess when I think of Hofner, the first thing that comes to mind is Paul MacCartney's bass. Bruce Welch and The Shadows made some great music, and I guess Bruce is still kicking / picking at 73 years old.

My first "decent" guitar was an ivory 1971 Ibanez 2352. This pic isn't mine, but it looks identical ... same case even! I sold it in 1978 due to cash flow problems (we've all been there!) and often wonder where it ended up, or if it's still being played:

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee368/householdsaint/Ibanez%202352%20Telecaster%201971/Ibanez2352and2392011.jpg

Just watched the vid I had the same guitar in about 1969 but with a single pickup  same red vynil finish and whammy bar  havent seen another one since

hi jimsanj,

as i watched the vid supplied by TF, it reminded me of my first electric guitar. it was a zenta and i played it through a selmer 5 watt amp that i bought from a flog shop in llanelli. the only "good" sounds i got from it were when i turned the volume right up and got a tremendous amount of distortion. when i got better guitars and amps i had to buy fuzz pedals to get similar sounds. the zenta cost around 20 pounds and the amp a fiver. subsequent gear cost in the hundreds, but felt better in the hands.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I just watched this again, and noticed he also has an old Wilson Rappier 44, which we discussing in another thread. In fact, he's got a lot of cool looking vintage guitars in that room.

tenement....no just 1 pickup ..butr great

i love my gretsch smile