Topic: Now I'm Confused

Ever since I first heard my brother-in-law's back in the late 70's I've wanted a Martin. I didn't give it much thought while I was on my 20 year guitar sabbatical but last summer I got the bug again. Over the winter I spent a lot of time reading and listening online; not just Martins but several brands of high end guitars. I want to make a purchase this summer so yesterday I decided to wander over to GC and play a few of the ones I was researching. I spent about an hour there and played Gibson, Breedlove, Taylor and Martin. I wanted to try a Larrivee too but they didn't have one.

I was totally unimpressed with the Gibson and Breedlove. They both sounded dead to me. My old Epiphone sounded just as good as either of them. Maybe even a little better than the Gibson.

I had a particular Martin I had honed in on over the winter, the DCPA4. I went in there pretty much knowing that this was The One. With the first strum I was rather disappointed. It didn't seem to have the full, rich sound I heard on various Youtube comparison videos and I could almost drive my car between the strings and the fretboard. It also didn't feel comfortable in my hands. I pulled other Martins off the wall and had the same reaction. I suppose they could be set up to lower the action and maybe different strings would produce a better response but if I'm going to lay out $1500-$2000 for a guitar, it seems to me I should be happy with it without having to spend more money having it set up to my liking.

So I moved over to the Taylor's. I grabbed the cheapest one on the wall, a 214 for $999.00. It had a nice bright tone but not the harsh, brassy sound that I was hearing on Youtube. The tone was generally well balanced, a nice bass response and clean, crisp highs. The action was beautiful. I have several songs where I slide through barre chords and it was effortless. Picked up the 314 next; $1799. Again, very low, smooth action but this one had a little of that brassy sound I don't care for. And just for kicks I grabbed the 814; $3899.00. Way more than I'm willing to spend for a guitar. Nice action but that brassy sound seemed to dominate.

So I'm confused. Martin has always been my dream guitar. Did I just happen across a few bum Martins or do the new ones not have that classic sound that I was expecting?

Re: Now I'm Confused

I walked into my local store with the intentions of buying a nice Martin played several picked up a Taylor 710 and a 510 fell in love and walked out with the Taylor 510. im not saying anything bad about the Martins just that like you I found the Taylor easy to play and liked the sound better.

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Joe, I have a 1999 Martin D-35, 2010 Martin D-41 ,Taylor 2007 314,Taylor 2005 T5 and I love them all. I've played the newer Martin DCPA models and lower models . I don't like them either. I think with Martin you need the D-28 model or higher to get the best of the Martin sounds and feel that you are looking for. One exception is the Mahogony models like the D15 or D-18. Just my opinion as a Martin owner. I Love the Taylors in most every model. I got the 314 for a different sound and Like it very much. Strings and usage can change tone, as well as woods used. My D-35 gets a lot of use and I've noticed some very nice tone changes over the years. So I don't want to add to your confusion but try some of the Martins in the groups I mentioned they may change your opinion.
  Joe

A few years back I had every intention of buying a D15 or D28. After playing them, some Taylors, Breedloves, and Larrivees in the same price range, I tried a Guild D40 Bluegrass Jubilee.

I own the Guild. I am not disappointed.

I did just get a Martin D1X12 that I like very well, but rather than Martin being the top of my guitars, it's the least expensive. I've got a Breedlove OM Retro in the too.  Terrific all around guitar.

Although, Topdown let me play his Gibson J45 and I am smitten. I also have the hots for a Martin 000-15M. So it never ends.

This didn't go well. I meant to encourage you to buy the guitar that you like and can afford without preference for brand and wound up convincing myself I need to raise $5 grand for more guitars.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

It has been my experience with gc (at least our local one) that they are pretty much the wal Mart of guitars. Acoustics anyway. They have a lot to choose from, but never sound how you expect them to, and don't seem to be set up properly either. Both Amy's Martin and my Taylor were purchased at the same mom and pop guitar store. All the acoustics in their high end room are set up and ready to play. And the prices were better than gc too.

Hmmm... I hadn't heard of that model so I looked it up.  It's Sitka Spruce.  Most of the popular Martin guitars are made from Rosewood or Mahogany.  I wonder if maybe the wood had something to do with it?  As far as action goes... I will admit that Taylor wins out over Martin every time I've been considering a purchase.  Personally, I have that 000-15M that Zurf was talking about.  The Mahogany wood is something tonally different than any other guitar sound.  When I bought it, I almost went for a Taylor because the Taylor just fretted so much nicer, but the Mahogany sound won out.  My guitar is not the "easiest" to play, but I think that just makes me work harder to be better.  wink  You do have to be careful with Taylors and listen close.  Some people like their "ring", I don't, but not all of them have it either.  You do want to consider looking for the words "solid" and "genuine" as well when shopping Martins.  They do get a little tricky with their wording when it comes to their woods.  Guitar Center carries a LOT of Martins made specifically for them as well, not just the "real" models.  Keep an eye out on the actual model number.  As far as Gibsons go, I don't like the rounded neck I find on so many of them. 

In the end, I like to go to GC just to play, but I won't buy there for the reason's Jim gave.  Their guitars are never quite in tune, have old strings on them, etc.  I'm sure it matters who's working, so I'm sure different stores may be better than others.  Keep looking.  Find the one that speaks to you.  It clearly wasn't that guitar.  Maybe it's not that model.  You'll KNOW when you find it!  smile  Those are my thoughts.  In the end, it's your decision, your money.  I just hope some of our opinions help and don't make it harder for you!  HA!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have a martin custom X series  - matte finish  acoustic electric.   It has a very unique sound - I love it.  But I will admit, I love my Alvarez RD-20 SC    much better .    I said in another post somewhere... I really believe the guitar picks the player, not viceversa - you just know when you've got the right one. ( Probably the reason we all keep buying them ! smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

pick the one that "sings" to you. forget about the name/brand-it's just a name. I'm glad my wife didn't pick me for my name.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

9 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-05-17 18:45:48)

What BlueJeep said ... in triplicate!!!

A brand name is just that ... a brand name. Within each brand, the manufacturer tries to make models at all affordability levels, to appeal to the broadest market possible, i.e., to sell more product. This is true of guitars, fishing rods, sneakers, you name it. An all solid wood acoustic guitar (spruce top, mahogany or rosewood body) will generally sound better than a less expensive laminate, regardless of the manufacturer. My Larrivee cost a lot less than the "big brand" models I tried, but my eyes, ears, and hands told me it was well made, sounded great, and played well.

My favorite example of brand-name disappointment happened a couple years ago, when I got to play my dream guitar, a Gibson L-5. It cost over $10,000 and sounded like crap! Thin, shrill, no sustain, no character, unbalanced in the hand, etc. The trees don't know which brand name will be stamped on them, and as long as the luthier puts the materials together right, it'll sound right. And the guitarist playing it is the final judge. Buying a guitar so that someone will say, "Ooooo ... you've got a Gibson!" or "Ooooo ... you've got a Martin!" isn't the right reason to buy a guitar. Like what you play, and you'll always play what you like.

Exactly what blue jeep, tf,and tigljk said, no matter the brand or cost the right one will sing to you.

mekidsmom wrote:

Hmmm... I hadn't heard of that model so I looked it up.  It's Sitka Spruce.  Most of the popular Martin guitars are made from Rosewood or Mahogany.

There were 3 different choices in the DCPA model. All had a solid Sitka Spruce top. The back and sides were either Sapele, Mahogany, or Rosewood. The prices were different for each one. Not surprisingly, the sapele was the cheapest at $1349. It was also the one with the least appealing tone.

mekidsmom wrote:

You do have to be careful with Taylors and listen close.  Some people like their "ring", I don't, but not all of them have it either.

I noticed that with the second Taylor I picked up; the 314. It had the slightest suggestion of that "ring" and I don't care for it either. In the 814 it was overwhelming.

mekidsmom wrote:

Their guitars are never quite in tune,

I noticed that as well. I had to tune every one I picked up.

bluejeep wrote:

pick the one that "sings" to you. forget about the name/brand-it's just a name

For a brief moment, I considered taking the 214 home for just that reason. It sang to me and the song was "Take me Home".  But a more rational head prevailed. It was an exploratory trip. I didn't go in to buy and stuck to it.

So thanks everyone, for all the input. This was just the first step and I'll be trying out others for the next couple months. I'm planning to take the plunge in July. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated.

Have a couple of smaller shops here and both are run by genuine Luthiers.....  anyway I happened by Greg's on Friday and he had just taken delivery of his new Breedlove.  Now you have to know that he ordered this one from the Factory just over the mountain from us here, and 9 months ago he personally selected the wood for his new guitar.  Proud he was and the tone was as close to perfect as could be, to my ear anyway, and a absolutely gorgeous instrument in all respects from the "submerged cedar" top to the matched figured Indian Rosewood back and sides. 

First thing, on the bench for a setup, and the brand new EXPs into the trash!  Everybody is using those strings because they get them for about a buck a set, and they are not as good as others out there.... but last a long time!  I guess the point is, new instruments settle in a little after that first setup and really should get another tweaking after awhile.  Most shops don't bother, and as a result you can be disappointed with what you hear/feel on first impression.  Find yourself a smaller shop with a really "picky" technician in the back-room.... THEN do a comparison.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Hey everyone - Guy Clark sums it up pretty good in this song called " The Guitar "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHxOego2Sso

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Guy Clark is a heck of a song-writer.  And boy can that Verlon Thompson pick!? 

Though Clark is an exceptional song-writer, and well known for the craft he puts into his lyrics, I have read that he considers himself more of a luthier than musician.  He made the guitar he plays, and I guess a number more besides.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

OK folks. A question for you Martin owners out there.

I just came across a 000C-16GTE on craigslist. Actually it was posted a week ago and I just revisited it. They were made between '99 and '03. Does anyone have one or have you played one? It's a 2 hour trip to go see it and after my disappointing adventure over the weekend I thought I'd get a couple opinions. I'm considering the possibility that being an older model, it's already had a decent set up. He's asking $900.

Gidday
I have a martin GPCPA 4
love it,I wanted an all wood guitar,the funny thing though i noted the
fingerboard is Richlite.So i looked up Richlite to see what it is.
It`s mashed up paper & glue!

The King Of Audio Torture

Never tried one that I can recall.  I guess the question is, after the long drive, , will you feel better KNOWING or will you feel worse, if its not "the one"?

mekidsmom wrote:

I guess the question is, after the long drive, , will you feel better KNOWING or will you feel worse, if its not "the one"?

I have this sort of preconceived notion of how a Martin sounds. If it doesn't have "that" sound, I think it will be a more a matter of disappointment with Martin rather than finding out it's not The One. I've read some reviews. The general consensus seems to be; it's a slightly smaller body and won't have the same booming bass you would get with a D-28 but it has nice clean treble and that makes for a well balanced tone.

My parents live 2 hours away so a 2 hour drive is really not a big deal to me.

easybeat wrote:

Gidday
I have a martin GPCPA 4
love it,I wanted an all wood guitar,the funny thing though i noted the
fingerboard is Richlite.So i looked up Richlite to see what it is.
It`s mashed up paper & glue!

Sounds like "Masonite"....... the stuff of "clipboards, and pegboard without the holes".  Also a nightmare to re-fret as it just might be prone to chipping like the former products when run through a tablesaw.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Richlite is fine. I've got a guitar with richlite and two with ebony, and the richlite is holding up better.

UncleJoe - how's the shopping coming along?  Anything new and exciting? 

I'll be honest, part of the Martin appeal was had after touring their factory.  After I saw the amount of hand work that went into building these guitars, that was it for me.  I didn't want one that was made by a machine, I wanted one that some little old lady who was smiling and laughing with her friends put her hands on.  One that some tattooed up dude made sure was perfectly in tune.  One that a middle aged man hand placed the pearling.  I guess I just kind of fell in love with the factory, with the fact that they employ average Americans and allow people in to see how it runs.  smile 

Keep looking for the right one.  It might not be a Martin.  As long as it's right for you and you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

unclejoesband wrote:

OK folks. A question for you Martin owners out there.

I just came across a 000C-16GTE on craigslist. Actually it was posted a week ago and I just revisited it. They were made between '99 and '03. Does anyone have one or have you played one? It's a 2 hour trip to go see it and after my disappointing adventure over the weekend I thought I'd get a couple opinions. I'm considering the possibility that being an older model, it's already had a decent set up. He's asking $900.

I've never a played a 000C-16GTE but owned a 000-16GT for a while that I bought off ebay.  It never had the sound I wanted (too weak on the bass end)  so I sold it on Craig's list after about a year.

I was in Pensacola Florida last week for my oldest grand daughter's high school graduation.  I wandered into a GC and played a few acoustics.  Played a Martin DSR (rosewood/spruce custom made for GC).  Normal price was around $1299 but was on sale for $1049.  By far the best sounding acoustic of the 2 dozen or so I played.  Big deep, booming bass that I'd expect from a Martin.  I think I'm beginning to feel the early pangs of new GAS attack. smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

mekidsmom wrote:

UncleJoe - how's the shopping coming along?  Anything new and exciting?...

...Keep looking for the right one.  It might not be a Martin.  As long as it's right for you and you're happy with it, that's all that matters!

Nothing new yet. I've been pretty busy working. It's that time of year.

I did see a Taylor 214ce (the one I really liked) on CL for $750 but it was south of Pittsburgh. 4 hours is a bit to far to test drive a guitar.

I really need to make that trip to Nazareth.

Dirty Ed wrote:

I've never a played a 000C-16GTE but owned a 000-16GT for a while that I bought off ebay.  It never had the sound I wanted (too weak on the bass end)  so I sold it on Craig's list after about a year.

I was in Pensacola Florida last week for my oldest grand daughter's high school graduation.  I wandered into a GC and played a few acoustics.  Played a Martin DSR (rosewood/spruce custom made for GC).  Normal price was around $1299 but was on sale for $1049.  By far the best sounding acoustic of the 2 dozen or so I played.  Big deep, booming bass that I'd expect from a Martin.

Thanks for the review DE.

This how the seller describes the sound.

Solid woody tone, controlled low end, crisp trebles

I'll need to here just how "controlled" they are. I'm seriously considering contacting him tomorrow and making the trip on Saturday.

The DSR doesn't have a cutaway. That's a deal breaker for me. Even though I can't play scales that well yet, I'm getting there and I'll want those extra frets eventually.

Joe - check out this thread re: my husband's new guitar.  You might want to look at the Taylor 800 Series.  smile  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27267

I tried the 714ce when I took all those test drives awhile back. It was marked $2999. I didn't look but I'm guessing the 800's would be a bit more. I set my limit at $2000 and I'm hoping to come in a little under that. I just can't justify more than that for one guitar. I have no problem spending $1500+ for a chainsaw, which would freak most people out. But I make my living with saws and get to write that off. The guitar won't pay the bills and I doubt the tax man would be amused if I tried taking it off my tax bill. smile