1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-06-06 23:10:21)

Topic: Effects Loop on Amplifier

I'd been staring at this Effects Loop part of my amp for quite a while, and never really bothered to figure it out completely. I thought I had a rough idea what it was for, but was never really sure how to use it ... so I didn't:

https://i1.ytimg.com/vi/d4fwc2q1ASQ/hqdefault.jpg

This article from ProGuitarShop's website explains the whole setup very well:

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/fx-loops-explained

http://proguitarshop.com/media/cms/blog/fxloop.png

So waking up to pouring rain this morning, I re- cabled everything to my amp using this diagram as a guide. My guitar is now going to the Morley pedal and then direct to the amp. This is where my Volume/Wah/Distortion will come from, used in combination with the Peavey footswitch to go between the Clean and Lead channels.

Guitar >>> Morley >>> Amp

The Boss ME-80 is now plugged into the Effects Loop, since most of the effects I use on it are Modulation and Delay effects:

Effects Loop SEND >>> Boss ME80 >>> Effects Loop RETURN

And the whole thing now has much clearer sound, especially now that the Modulations effects are being added after the Gain / Drive effects. I hope some of this info is helpful to anyone else who has been timid about using their amp's Effects Loop.

Always satisfying to learn something new!

Re: Effects Loop on Amplifier

very interesting,thanks for sharing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Funny how reading the instructions makes it easy to understand, I know because I have had many "aha" moments myself glad ya got it sorted out it will make playing a lot more fun and easier smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Good observation, Russell ...

The actual instructions that came in the amp's manual were pretty vague on what types of effects would work best using the effects loop, which is why I never really injected anything into the signal path until now. This ProGuitarShop article was very helpful in explaining what types of effects were best used at the start of the signal path, versus ones to be used within the path. Understanding "why" makes all the difference.

5 (edited by rockclimber 2015-06-10 16:54:11)

I remember that long ago I didn't want the wah influence the distortion that much.  So I experimented with putting even the wah into the effect out-in line and being pleased about the outcome. I was pleased as well to have it behind the loop delay, so that the loop could be wah't. After all the wah ended again in the first place after the guitar, just because it was the morley and had the volume function in it, which creates crazy effects together with the loop. I didn't use the delay functions of the loop at all, because before delaying there should be the preamp distortion.

By  the way: is this diagram supposed to be a realistic setting or is it a setup order suggestion? As long as these effect pedals don't have really true bypass i would never stick so many together, furthermore, I would try to bypass some of them by using a loop-switch-pedal. In the effect line of the amp I ended up using just one multieffect virtual-room rack delay with some effects like delay and flanger, but at a very low level - so low that you wouldn't hear the effect as such. The sound was amazing because the character of pure tube amplification was preserved. The amp sound still reacted to any slightest action on the instrument but was somehow enhanced. People in the audience, even players themselves, were very impressed by the sound of this ensemble of throughout definitely only old middle-class gear. And I was the melodic player of an instrumental trio with bass and drums and had to amuse the audience several hours with this very one setting, because on stage I didn't want to get distracted by thinking of the sound at all so that I would leave the entire thing as it was for the whole concert.

Rockclimber ...

I think the diagram they did was to show the two different groups of effects (Overdrive & Modulation) as suggestions for what to use where. Ultimately, whatever sounds best to an individual's ears is the "best" arrangement. I liked the extra detail my sound gained when I followed these suggestions. I certainly agree that having so many in a sequence, that weren't capable of totally bypassing each other, would create a muddle.