Topic: Can I transfer songs fom my iPad to pc for back up?

Hi,
Wondering if I can Back up my songs from iPad to pc? Have Loads of songs that I would like o back up to my songbook on pc. Is this possible?

Or is it possible to extract individual songs fom iPad to send to pc?

Thanks
Jamie
Malta

Re: Can I transfer songs fom my iPad to pc for back up?

I don't think you can back them up to your Chordie songbook, but you can certainly copy them to a file of your choice on your computer.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Do you have an idea how you can do that?

Assuming you can hook your IPAD into the USB of your computer, you use the explore function on your computer. Your Ipad will show up as a hard drive and you copy the files from that (after you find the songs on the IPAD) to a directory of your choice on the computer.  If you have a Mac, it may be a little different.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

5 (edited by Erikkl 2015-05-05 06:51:32)

If you plug your iPhone into your computer, it will show up as a device, which you can then access the DCIM Folder and copy the contents over to your PC by simple drag and drop?

I am trying to go paperless,  I would like to copy the songs in my  personal songbook to my laptop or tablet,  trying to use the tablet for stage. I also would like to know which program to use word, or power point .

patsoileau57 wrote:

I am trying to go paperless,  I would like to copy the songs in my  personal songbook to my laptop or tablet,  trying to use the tablet for stage. I also would like to know which program to use word, or power point .

What I do is choose the "print" option on the song and select "print to file" on my printer menu.  I then save the result to a folder in "my music" and name it [song/title}.PDF..... that format makes it possible to view or print a copy with almost whatever document viewer you have available.  The file tree is alphabetical so it is easy to navigate with just a click or two, and easy to edit or add notes or comments to, such as certain effects settings etc.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That is a clever solution, Doug Smith!

patsoileau57: A different approach that you might want to consider is to use a tablet app designed for organising and displaying songs.

With one of these, you can quickly:

- vary the speed that the song scrolls
- change font size
- change foreground and background colours
- highlight colours for chords
- indent or highlight Chorus / Bridge lines
- choose whether chords are displayed in-line or above the line
- easily change the key to and fro as needed, etc.
- decide which voicings of chords are displayed in grids
etc.

This Sticky doesn't help you choose an app but it might help to explain some things about using one of these apps with the Chordie web site:
Chordie Songbook, Linksoft Songbook app and similar apps

Most of the comments I have seen on the Chordie forum from people using these apps mention:
Linkesoft Songbook
or OnSong
or My Songbook

so I would have a look at those (I have used "My Songbook" in the past and have moved over to "Linkesoft Songbook" - I have never tried "On Song")

Best wishes,
Liz

Play the Ukulele: The most fun you can have doing something badly!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I'm not going to say I'm no Jim Morrison, I'm not going to say I'm no John Lennon - I'm not going to say I'm like The Monkees neither! - 'I'm a Believer!' - Some people say I make a pretty good musician - but I've always argued that's going to take me a long time . . . "
Wild Man Fischer

Ms.Mouse wrote:

That is a clever solution, Doug Smith!
patsoileau57: A different approach that you might want to consider is to use a tablet app designed for organising and displaying songs.

With one of these, you can quickly:
- vary the speed that the song scrolls
- change font size
- change foreground and background colours
- highlight colours for chords
- indent or highlight Chorus / Bridge lines
- choose whether chords are displayed in-line or above the line
- easily change the key to and fro as needed, etc.
- decide which voicings of chords are displayed in grids
etc.
Best wishes,
Liz

Speaking to these points, is there (I'm only talking about on Chordie)

Any way to "auto-scroll," without having to touch the screen?
Change font/background colours?
Choose whether chord diagrams are displayed at the bottom of the screen or above the line of the lyric (in place of the chord letter - C, Em, etc.)?

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:

Speaking to these points, is there (I'm only talking about on Chordie)

Any way to "auto-scroll," without having to touch the screen?
Change font/background colours?
Choose whether chord diagrams are displayed at the bottom of the screen or above the line of the lyric (in place of the chord letter - C, Em, etc.)?

Cocktailsfor2: I hope someone way more geeky than me can answer your question!

I think that most of those effects would be to do with browser features.  The appearance of a web site can be modified with "user scripts", although I do not know if the last one (showing chord grids above the line) would be possible.  I use Firefox and have installed some site-specific user scripts but you can use them with other browsers.
Userscripts.org down for good? Here are alternatives

You can also make and customise a Site Specific Browser (SSB) on a desktop.  However, I don't know if you would be able to achieve all the results you are looking for. I used to use Fluid to set up SSB's.  (These days you would probably call a SSB an "app").
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site-specific_browser

I think that what you would need to achieve what you are looking for is a dedicated "Chordie Viewer" (SSB) or "Chordie app".

There are "music score" apps that utilize PDFs and other document files that might do what you are looking for - but you would still need to add files to the app.

I have not come across anything that would do what you are looking for while you are browsing the Chordie website.  However, here are two web sites where you might find some leads if something like this already exists:
Going Digital for Musicians
and
Music App Blog

Do reply to let us know if you find anything!

Best wishes,
Liz

"I'm not going to say I'm no Jim Morrison, I'm not going to say I'm no John Lennon - I'm not going to say I'm like The Monkees neither! - 'I'm a Believer!' - Some people say I make a pretty good musician - but I've always argued that's going to take me a long time . . . "
Wild Man Fischer

Outstanding Postings Liz !!! smile

I for one would like to say that everything you have added to the Forums has been of exceptional value, and would like to Thank You for taking the time to share and add your voice to the Community.

Very pleased you have joined the discussions.

THANK YOU !!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have to agree Doug.

Liz has been with us a long time and she does not post very often, but when she does it is usually a 'gem'. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Liz -

Thanks for your quick and detailed reply (and nice ta meetcha!)! I will monkey around with some of that and see what happens...

Alas, I should have been more thorough in asking my question: I typically view Chordie on my iPad (and always use it for accessing my songbooks), so would need to have "touch-less" scrolling and "in-line" chord charts available for that device. Sorry for not being clear on that. Derp.

Cocktailsfor2

RIP Bowie

Roger and Doug - thank you so much for your kind words!!  I usually come here looking for answers so it feels really good to be able to give something back.  And three cheers for the mysterious Pere for setting up Chordie and keeping it going! :-)

Cocktailsfor 2 - I should be the one apologising - you gave me a big clue and I missed it:

Cocktailsfor2 wrote:

. . . without having to touch the screen

Auto-scroll web pages: iCab Mobile Browser
Some good news, Cocktailsfor2 :-)

The only iOS browser I use is iCab.  iCab Mobile has a set of "modules" that you can activate per web page and . . . one of these is  . . . "Autoscroll"! :-)

iCab Mobile in iTunes Store

I had never used this feature until I had a quick peek at the Modules just now to see if they included Auto-scroll. 

In iCab Settings you can set features of the Autoscroll Module, like the default scroll speed.

Settings > Tools > Modules > Autoscroll > Speed

- very slow
- slow
- medium
- fast
- very fast

You can also opt to have a "Controller" on-screen to speed up, slow down or pause auto-scroll while you are viewing a page.

You can switch individual Modules on and off and set the display order of Modules when you hit the "Modules" button when browsing, so that the ones you use are near the top:

Settings > Tools > Modules >Edit

I have no idea if any other iOS browsers have an auto-scroll feature.  I did an internet search and only found a couple that rely on you moving the device to control the auto-scroll feature.

I was a bit of a "browser junkie" in the past and tried out everything going but always came back to iCab pretty quickly. It is a brilliant mobile browser, well designed and jam-packed with features.  These are all very neatly hidden from view so they do not clutter the interface.  You can also select the "on screen" menu bar controls to let you switch to "full screen" view so you see nothing but the web page you are viewing.

The developer, Alexander Clauss, replies to emails promptly and helpfully and responds to feedback and feature requests.

Chord grids instead of chord names above the line
Some "song sheet" web sites do have this as an option.  Perhaps this is something to post as a Chordie "Feature Request"?

Best wishes,

Liz

Wild Man Fischer

Liz - thanks for the thorough info and the tip! If it does what you described, it'll be well worth the buck-ninety-nine!

I use Chrome on this here iPad (and my missus uses Safari when she's on it), so it should be interesting to compare 'em all.

Again, grazie mille!

RIP Bowie

Hi! I'm new in chordie AND I have a rookie question. How can I add a song to my songbook. I read that I must use the 'add to songbook' link on the song but I can not see such a link. I'm using iphone now. Thanks in advance.

Hi Alfama,

There is some weird mobile behaviour here!  I can see it on the iPhone using Safari when I am NOT logged in but then it disappears when I have logged in.  I get the same results with other iPhone browsers.

I don't know how you report bugs but it looks like you have found one.

Best wishes,
Liz

Wild Man Fischer

Hi Liz, thank you very much for your prompt feedback. Hope somebody hears us AND fixes the bug. Thanks again. All the best.

19 (edited by Ms.Mouse 2015-07-20 04:03:36)

Alfama - looks like they are already aware of the problem with mobile browsers:

Cannot add new material

I might just add a question to the bottom of that topic to ask if there is any news :-)

Best wishes,
Liz

Wild Man Fischer

Liz thanks again for your effort. I will also add that question mark ;-). Best wishes. Take care.