Topic: Inflatable Kayaks

I'm quite tempted to buy an inflatable kayak. I've seen a few on Amazon which have been well reviewed, but I know there are folks on here that know this stuff inside out & I would be interested in their opinions!
I would probably just use it for occasional trips out, if the sea is very flat, just going out a few hundred yards for a spot of fishing...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: Inflatable Kayaks

It all depends on the kayak, its construction, and its design.  In the US, some to consider for that purpose are Tributary Sawtooth, and Advanced Elements makes a few models suitable for mild coastal use.  In the UK, Innova has some models well suited to coastal water.  I've got an Innova whitewater kayak, but I'm too big to use it.  You're not, but it's pretty short for coastal use so I'm not sure that it makes sense to work out a deal.  There are many more reputable manufacturers of inflatable kayaks.  I suggested these as something for you to Google and check out. 

In general, a longer boat means you'll float shallower and may get better "tracking."  Tracking is how the boat tends to go in a straight line when paddled.  Depending on the water you're on, this can be a good thing, a bad thing, or just a thing.  For example, the 10' kayak you borrowed from Dirty Ed on the Shenandoah was just about perfect for that water.  It turned easily, the current carried it but you could correct easily.  But it wouldn't be very suitable if you had to cross a wide lake or an expanse of flat water, because it's too short to track real well and you'd be more at the mercy of the wind than you'd be with a longer keel-line.  I have a 14' skinny kayak that tracks straight as an arrow and is very fast for that kind of long flat-water crossing, but it's a bear turning it in time to avoid rocks on a shallow river.   My recommendation based on your intended use, my knowledge of your size, and what to expect from an inflatable kayak is to consider 3.5 meters length as a baseline and adjust from there based on availability and personal preference. 

Some things to consider are whether it is a sit-in style (like the Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame) or a sit-on style without an upper deck (like the Tributary Sawtooth).  Given that you are inexperienced as a kayaker, I think a sit-on would be safer for you to use because it is much easier to recover from being swamped.  That said, the sit-ins are nice because they deflect a lot of water, especially if you wear a skirt while paddling.  A kayak skirt.  Not one from Dress Barn. 

Pros and cons of inflatables versus hard shell kayaks:
Inflatables are easier to transport.
Inflatables are easier to store.
Inflatables are harder to control in wind (they are essentially very firm balloons and tend to have a higher profile off the water).
Hard shells are easier to set up.
Hard shells are quicker to launch.

Overall, it comes down to what fits your lifestyle and what suits your fancy.  I love how a well made inflatable in nearly indestructible.  I've confidently taken inflatable whitewater kayaks down rivers I'd be hesitant to take a hard shell kayak. 

One site that has a huge amount of reliable information on inflatable kayaks is theboatpeople.com.  I have no relationship to them other than that of a satisfied customer.  They are extremely helpful via e-mail.  I don't know if they can ship to the UK, but here in the US they consistently carry high quality products at fair prices. 

There are a lot of inexpensive inflatable kayaks out there.  They're pool toys, not real boats. 

Lastly, always, under every circumstance, in every instance, wear a PFD from dry land to dry land.  Put it on on the bank and do not remove it until you are back on the bank.  Spend a little extra to get one that is comfortable and that you will wear.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

If I were using it to fish,I would not use an inflatable - my hooks get caught on freaking everything, including myself.  There is no doubt I would have patches all over it in a month yikes)  Good Luck

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I don't have an inflatable, but have often thought about one instead of using a float tube. I have 3 plastic 'yaks (12' Perception Prodigy / 12' Wilderness Systems Pungo / and my wife's 9'6" Necky Sky). We do some river fishing, and I think I'd be concerned about how an inflatable would get along with the rocks.

If you have a high quality inflatable, rocks and hooks are unlikely to penetrate.  You still have to be pretty careful, especially with knives, but there's tons of things that can poke through or tear a hard shell kayak too if one isn't aware.  If you have a pool toy, bad things can happen in pretty much any circumstance.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

If you have a high quality inflatable, rocks and hooks are unlikely to penetrate.  You still have to be pretty careful, especially with knives, but there's tons of things that can poke through or tear a hard shell kayak too if one isn't aware.  If you have a pool toy, bad things can happen in pretty much any circumstance.   

- Zurf

I agree with that zurf.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks for the info, guys, Zurf especially! Looks like I need to do the research!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-06-30 15:21:33)

I'd love to be able to kayak, y'all, but here in Georgia we have the Chattahoochee River, which, if it doesn't contain whatever that flesh-eating bacteria is called (A University of West Georgia co-ed had 3 - I think - limbs amputated) it has e-coli. I'd be afraid to put anything floatable in it. Not because the bacteria would eat through it, of course, but I wouldn't want to be in contact with the water.

Just my opinion and be safe out there, Norm, Zurf and everyone!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

9 (edited by dino48 2015-06-30 17:30:42)

normtheguitar wrote:

Thanks for the info, guys, Zurf especially! Looks like I need to do the research!

You might want too call your CoastGuard or the U.K. versionof it and see what the would recommend. You might also try a Harbor master. The U.S. Navy Seals use inflatable boats and so do some of the other armed services.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman