26 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-01-31 11:38:14)

Re: A Rock Group Plays With Music Stands

Awesome pics, Topdown! I don't think any the less about any of these musicians for using monitors, or any other tool or technology which help produce a great show. Here's a cool shot of the Brussells Philharmonic orchestra ... rustling papers will soon be a thing of the past:

https://techfortheclassicalsinger.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/8164455987_3e1928bc3b_z.jpg?w=614&h=408

I have an IPad stand and I love it

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

That shot of the orchestra shows them still using their sheet music as well. So maybe they don't completely trust the technology of the Ipad? smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Doug_Smith wrote:

Not a bad price for something to firmly hold your $1300 Touch Pro....... but then you have to get one of these things:   http://boomerthefootmouse.com/
AND find room on the pedalboard for it!

$895.00???? I think I'll pass, Doug. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I've done songs at gigs before when I've not been 100% sure of the lyrics and put a song sheet on the floor in front of me, especially for a new one we might only have practiced a few times.  The problem these days is that the eyes are going and I can't read the damn thing unless it's in large font.
Had a bit of an incident a couple of years ago when I was about to start singing from a sheet on the floor and a guy from the audience strolled over, picked it up and started reading it.  I've also had beer spilled over lyric sheets before which doesn't help.
Maybe a music stand would be a good idea?

We play  a lot  of  out  door  gigs and Kev J of  this  forum often joins us  in the  show ,one  of  the  places we  played  regularly  was very  windy  and we  always  had  to  peg  the  sheets  to  the  stand on  several  occasions  Kev and  I  have  chased each  others  sheets  down the  beach  when there  has  been a  severe  gust .

shaun and Grah,

Man! I sure don't envy you guys' having to deal with that.

Yes, by all means: I'm for music stands for both of you!

Especially now that I've seen the TeleprompTERS!

smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

That shot of the orchestra shows them still using their sheet music as well. So maybe they don't completely trust the technology of the Ipad? smile

Bill

Some of their music is probably unavailable in the electronic format or has yet to be converted.

Most of these orchestras have substantial music libraries. Just the act of migrating all that paper over to 1s and 0s is costly and time consuming.

There was a time when I thought that anyone who needed to use a music stand (other than for a song or two, or classical musicians who obviously need the score) was lacking or lazy.

And, like many others, there was a time when I had alla the lyrics in my head...

Then I went to having a few lyric sheets on the floor...

Then I went to keeping a small manilla file or binder on a stand...

And if I ever get back to a performing situation, I will be getting the clip to hold the iPad to the mic stand, or a stand of its own.

If a Teleprompter wad good enough for Sinatra, it's good enuff for me!

We can beat them just for one day
We can be heroes just for one day

RIP Bowie

35 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-07-10 16:00:59)

Personally, I don't find it difficult to either play most of my repertoire through from memory, or to sing it through. It's when I need to do both simultaneously that having lyrics / chords / tabs in front of me comes in handy. If it's a simple 3 or 4-chord song, that's not a big problem. But when the piece gets more complex, that's when the brain strains to make it all flow together.

One example is "Over the Hills and Far Away" by Led Zeppelin. Trying to sing "Lady ... you got the love I need ... maybe ... more than enough" etc., while doing the picking / hammering / pulling of the opening acoustic riff, is beyond my ability without a lyrics sheet in front of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bD9t44JUD4

Others are more skillful, so I happily acknowledge their superiority!

Grah1 wrote:

I need one please can  we organise a benefit concert called lets buy graham a teleprompter cos he has the memory of a goldfish ....lol

Good one Graham,I would use a T promter or a Music stand if Ineeded one too get through a set.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman