1 (edited by beestie 2015-08-02 01:55:37)

Topic: The Morepork

I struggled with this one and I noticed it was changing even as I sang it.
there's the link https://soundcloud.com/sak-26/the-moreporkmp3

The Morepork

[C] The morepork calls out to the moon, I [G] lay awake in bed
[Am] Sleep isn’t coming fast, things [F] running through my head
[C] Alone in bed, outside a frost is [G] covering the ground
[Am] The morepork calls his mournful call, it [ F] is a forlorn  sound
Chorus:
[C] Oh Morepork with your sad sad song [F] I hear you singin all night long
[C] Oh Morepork with your sad sad song [F] I hear you singin [G] all night [C]long

[C] He’s sings his love song to the moon that [G] is so far away
[Am] He goes on calling through the night and [F] sleeps all though the day
[C] There’s something haunting in his song that [G] sounds so very sad
[Am] I relax and listen, and I think [F]  things are not so bad
Chorus:
[C] The morepork is a friend of mine he [G]calls out from the gloom
[Am]There’s something kindred in his song as I [F]  listen from my room
[C] His love is very far away and [G] though the night he cries
[Am] The moon just sits and listens as [F] time just passes by

Chorus:
[C] Oh Morepork with your sad sad song [F] I hear you singin all night long
[C] Oh Morepork with your sad sad song [F] I hear you singin [G] all night [C]long

Re: The Morepork

Gidday steve
great to see a chorus in your song.
I think you are growing as a song writer.

The King Of Audio Torture

Beestie after googling morepork ( I was thinking bacon) I played your tune on my guitar , I liked it a lot.  good song thanks for posting it

out of tune out of key and out of touch

4 (edited by beestie 2015-08-02 07:09:25)

I guess I should have pointed out that a morepork is a native owl here in New Zealand. I live within 100 yards of Rimutaka Forest Park and one calls most evenings. To western ears it does sound a bit like it is saying "more pork". I think the Maori name for it "Ruru" is a bit more accurate concerning its' call.  ( Maori often name things using their sound or look as part of the name). It is quiet a relaxing sound and I love laying in bed listening to it on a cold night. This is quite a small owl but its' call is very loud and can be heard from quite a distance away.

Nice one -  Your Morepork and Jan's Tui should get together ! smile 

Both great pieces --

just exemplifies how chordie broadens our cultural horizons -  I never had heard of either before... now I am better off for it.  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

6 (edited by beestie 2015-08-02 19:18:07)

TIGLJK wrote:

Nice one -  Your Morepork and Jan's Tui should get together ! smile 

Both great pieces --

just exemplifies how chordie broadens our cultural horizons -  I never had heard of either before... now I am better off for it.  smile

I must admit Jan's (Jandle) Tui did work as a lot of a inspiration for both Morepork and Waihine. Brian (Easybeat) commented to me that I shouldn't be put off about repeating lines, so that was the catalyst for the chorus.

New Zealand's birds are easy to write about as we have a few really unusual ones. We have a mountain parrot that is a real character called the Kea, it is well known for destroying peoples cars and stealing things. iIt is even been accused to attacking and killing sheep. We also have a flightless parrot called the Kakapo. If you want a laugh watch this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T1vfsHYiKY

I find it  emotionally stirring the comforting  sound of Morepork calling at night. love the way you and Jandle have introduced overseas people to things Kiwi. Another native Parrot that we now have back around the Wellington region is the Kaka after it was reintroduced in recent years after been exterminated by introduced pests.

8 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-03 10:26:25)

Nice song, Beestie ...

And an interesting nature lesson about your little native owl. I hear a soothing bird call each morning at first light, from something we call a Mourning Dove. Our neighborhood is full of large mature trees, so we get lots of birds (thankfully). I found this humorous little video starring a Morepork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0-ZX5ge5XU

9 (edited by easybeat 2015-08-04 00:40:17)

Yeah the morepork is a real hoot
but the kea is a real dag.
have a look on utube ` kea destroying police car`

The King Of Audio Torture

Great song beestie, I love the sound of the Morepork too, i listen to one outside our house at nights also.  Looking forward to having a go at this song smile

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan