1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-05 02:01:30)

Topic: How Do You Store Your CD's?

I have mine in one of those large cd wallets which can be found at Wal-Mart for about $10 bucks.

They're in alphabetical order....... Now.

Before, during my hard drinking days they could be found any which way pretty much in the order in which they were bought.

Over the last weekend and ending today, I alphabetized them and by the time I finished, my back was screaming at me.

As I write, all of them are stacked on my bed topped by an index card with the letter of the alphabet which will represent the artists' last name, group name (foregoing the "The" of course) and, in the case of collections, the first letter of the collection's title. If there are "liner notes" available, they go into one of the empty sleeves of one of the  4 segments which make up a page.

Just a tad OCD, am I. wink

Gotta get 'em off the bed before bed time or it's the couch for the "German Boy" tonight.

Just curious; how do y'all store your cd's?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: How Do You Store Your CD's?

Hey Bill.
I usually keep them in their cases on shelves I made. I have several hundred so I have to keep them in alphabetical order or I would be lost big time.
My wife is wanting to redecorate that room so right now they are in boxes in the spare room. I get to alphabetize all over again. Being retired, it gives me something to do.

Thanks Chordie for the years of music and advise.

Anywhere they happen to land.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I must have a couple of hundred. I tend to play the same half dozen and stick the rest in a drawer. Every now and again have a bit of a change round depending on the mood at the time.
On a similar note. I put a load of vinyl on the laptop. Most of it from my own collection, some I borrowed. About a week ago the laptop fell I'll with some sort of bug. Put it into system restore. The bugs gone, but so have the albums.

Thick as two short planks

In the basement, collecting dust. 

I never collected a ton - so what I do have was ripped to the computer years ago and transferred over each time a new computer is purchased (better yet, now on a hard drive wired into the network so any computer can access them and no longer have to move them).  I do keep a handful in the car still.  Jim uses Sirius XM in his truck.  Plus we have music on our droids and plug them directly into our vehicles to listen.  Yep - we're pretty well digital.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2015-08-05 10:10:25)

I've got one of those old school Sony CD players that holds 200 CD's, which they haven't even made for several years now. My CD's are all in there, in a more less organized fashion. One of these days, I'm going to convert them all to MP3 or MP4 format and store them on my PC. These multi-players have a "best before date" and I'm sure mine's well past that. I also have about 100 vinyl LP's, most of them being Deutsche-Grammaphon classical recordings. My turntable is toast, so may need to get one of those vinyl > MP3 units (about $200) so I can get them back to listen to.

I drive a 2006 VW Jetta, and it doesn't have a jack to plug in an MP3 player, but still has a CD player which sounds great. Whatever I eventually replace it with, it will likely have a port for a thumb drive or MP3 player, so the need for CD's will be gone.

My CD's are fairly well orginized. I keep some in my truck, some in my wife's truck, some are on my music table, some are under the music table, I got a few on top of my CD player, some more of them are over there and some more are over yonder. I think some more are in a box or two.

Nela

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-05 15:16:49)

rickyjack wrote:

Hey Bill.
I usually keep them in their cases on shelves I made. I have several hundred so I have to keep them in alphabetical order or I would be lost big time.
My wife is wanting to redecorate that room so right now they are in boxes in the spare room. I get to alphabetize all over again. Being retired, it gives me something to do.

For something else to do, I highly recommend rearranging your sock drawer, rickyjack. You will be AMAZED at the number of  shades of navy blue you will find! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Bill

PS: I also am still at work slipping the now alphabetized cd's into their respective sleeves.

I discovered by looking at the stacks that there are more cd's with the letter S than any other letter, so playing a hunch, I grabbed the phone book, and Holy Hanna!, there are more S's there than any other letter! And the name all those S's belong to? Well, I thought you'd never ask!!! SMITH. yikes

Why in the world have y'all not informed me of this???? smile

I'm kidding of course. Just a little satire using myself as the  "victim"

Have a great day, kids!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

i have 3 of those £1 shop stack-up racks, 2 of those drawer thingies and loose stacks. one of the racks holds my Beatles CD's and their solo's so i have a shed full of mccartney.

as keepitreal says, i seem to play the same dozen or so and the rest are what i thought i wanted at the time.

i must have bought the last car made with a CD player in along with the MP3. my son bought his car (same make) but his had an MP3 and sat-nav....i grew up on maps why should anyone want a sat-nav? or MP3 till i found how easy they are to use...

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

In my car doors, in a box in my office, spread on my desk, and stuffed in a bookcase.  They are in this order:

The ones in the box in my office are ones that I've ripped to my computer.
The ones on my desk are ones that I haven't ripped to my computer if they are to the right of the monitor, or ones that I have ripped to my computer if they are to the left of my monitor and I just haven't put them in the cardboard box yet.  The ones in my truck are ones I just bought and haven't got tired of yet, and the ones in the bookcase are ones that I ripped to my computer and sometime or other got up the gumption to move them out of the cardboard box on the floor. 

It's an efficient and effective organizational system. 

I have offered $40 to my kids to put them in binders in alphabetical order, but they have declined. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am most of the above answers,just all over the place but most of them are alphabetized. (the ones I do not listen too often).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Like others, I have them in various places. I keep 10-12 in the car and another 8-10 here on the computer desk. The bulk of them (100 or so) are at my little hideaway in the mountains. They are on a rack and organized by genre with each genre alphabetized.