1 (edited by siggi56 2014-12-23 05:18:28)

Topic: I LOVE This Place!

I just wanted to say that. I've been a member for quite a while and have lurked much of that time. "Lurk and Learn" -- that's me! If you'll do a search, you'll see I'm still alive and rockin', even though the Alzheimer's is now almost stage V (or so my neuro-shrink guy tells me).

There are a lot of things I can'do anymore (like drive), but I can still drum and I can still strum! smile And if I take the time, I can still make a rhyme.

The latest song I'm trying to learn is Wayfarin' Stranger, the Cash version. I've always thought our "Man In Black" left us with the legacy of tunes which although they're simply played (WF, for one), they still convey that "message", don't they?

Anyway, if you agree with me or not, Chordie has sure made it easy on this ol' boy to keep playing and singing, and I just wanted to say "thank you from the bottom of my heart" for what you do for me!

One other reason for writing you this evening is to ask if there might be others who are like me, mentally challenged with this crappy disease, yet keep on making music. It might be worthwhile for us to support each other here or by e-mail if you'd like to do that -- not pushing either way, you may be a little more private than me, and that is very okay and I respect you for it.

Thanks for letting me "check in" and talk a little music with ya'!

Happy Holidays and I hope 2015 is better for all of us than this year has been! I think the phrase "it sucked" is probably an understatement. smile

Edited to add: I'm gonna be 65 at the end of the year.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: I LOVE This Place!

Siggi I cant imagine how difficult it is for you Alzheimer's is such a debilitating condition, the things I take for granted and perform with ease are a struggle for those who must deal with this I hope you do connect with others who share your feelings you have a very positive attitude and hopefully you will pass it on to those who could benefit keep on pickin!! smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks, Russell! One of the the things I have NOT lost (nor do I intend to) is my sense of humor. I was just looking back on my previous posts and noticed they have been very sporadic. Be that as it may, every one of them answered a need I had and it didn't cost me a dime!

I wish I could say I intend to lurk less and write more, but that may be writing a check that my "brain bank" can't cash. As I did when I stopped drinking 10 years ago, I'm doin' it one day at a time, so I don't commit to something I can't do.

One thing which would make me happy (for more than one day at a time, that is) is to have some guys over and play. I have everything that is needed set up and ready to play. 3 guitars (1 acc/electric) 2 basses, (1 acc/electric) a keyboard, 3 amps and a microphone. They all just sit there and gather dust. My beautiful wife allowed me the front room of our house (The "Living Room") as my music room and it's al just ready to go. No, the instruments and amps aren't top of the line, but we COULD get a visit from the police if we wanted to.

To conclude, your sig line says it all, my friend: It's NOT for sissies, is it.

All the best!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Great to see that you are not letting your debilitating illness get the upper hand and it seems as though you are getting tremendous support from 'SWAMBO' (She Who Must Always Be Obeyed) smile.

It is rather far for me to come for a jam, but I hope there are locals who can.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi siggi56
I remember you posting a while back and it's great to hear your still fighting hard that horrible illness with music.
Long may you continue, and with the help of your wife and music be able to stay positive and achieve your wish of jamming. Sorry I'm in England so can't help you there.
all the best.
ark

Hi siggi nice too see you are here,you sound very good and I hope you will keep coming back on the forum.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

7 (edited by siggi56 2014-12-23 20:21:38)

Thanks, rickyjack and guys. It sounds like I should hang here on a more regular basis! smile One of my problems (in real life, too) is that I want to be as little a burden to anyone as I can be. To my wife, to my friends, to my family and to you all as well.

It's no one's fault, really, but it has caused me to become a recluse except for the music. When I'm behind the drums or one of my guitars all of that just leaves me. But the rest of the time, I get this feeling like folks are saying, "Oh no. HIM again", and that is what I mean about being a burden. It's part of the disease process my shrink tells me and he advises to just "push through it".

So you guys - if you don't mind - will be "Bill's Magic Band" and if we can do this idea of mine, maybe it will help me out: Communicate with me and maybe tell me what songs you may be working on, and let me drum/strum along with you in my head off a cd/mp3 of the same tune. So although I can't have y'all here in real life/time, you can be my "ghost" musicians. Maybe give me an "assignment" every now and then and say something like, "Bill, we have a gig this Saturday night and we need you to have the chords to ___________ by that time, so let's "practice, man!"

Would that work?

Thanks again for the comments!

Bill aka/Siggi

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Rick!

It works for me, thanks very much. Also please see my comment on the show. You guys are great and that wasn't even ALL of you! I loved Copperhead Road the best of all of them. Rick, can I record the show directly to a cd, so I can take it into the music room and play it over the headphones?

I didn't know about copyright rules.

Thanks again, my friend! You ROCK and so do the rest  of The Old Men...... "Genghis Khan, he could not keep - all his kings supplied with sleep." Another favorite.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Siggi - you are about an 8 hour drive from me. If you could find a way to make it to chordiestock III, it would be great having you. See thread here: (http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24511)

If you cannot make it, I will do my best to schedule a visit to your place for a jam. I know a few others within a day's drive who might be willing as well. Keep Rockin' bud!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Siggi - you are about an 8 hour drive from me. If you could find a way to make it to chordiestock III, it would be great having you. See thread here: (http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=24511)

If you cannot make it, I will do my best to schedule a visit to your place for a jam. I know a few others within a day's drive who might be willing as well. Keep Rockin' bud!

VERY cool!!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

siggi56 wrote:

So you guys - if you don't mind - will be "Bill's Magic Band" and if we can do this idea of mine, maybe it will help me out: Communicate with me and maybe tell me what songs you may be working on, and let me drum/strum along with you in my head off a cd/mp3 of the same tune. So although I can't have y'all here in real life/time, you can be my "ghost" musicians. Maybe give me an "assignment" every now and then and say something like, "Bill, we have a gig this Saturday night and we need you to have the chords to ___________ by that time, so let's "practice, man!"

Would that work?

Thanks again for the comments!

Bill aka/Siggi

Hey Bill, you could also try this.

www.jamkazam.com

I have an account there but I'm having trouble getting my audio interface to work. You might have better luck.

I commend you Siggi for the ability to keep fighting. I don't know what you are going through, or I should say, I know what you are going through from a care givers point of view. I have been helping my wife get through each day with Alzheimer's for the last 6 years or so. I hung with her for as long as I could before putting her in assisted living about 2 months ago. I could no longer give her the care she needed. I visit her twice every day and I miss her a lot. Keep up the fight buddy. The best to you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thank you bensonp, for your kind words and for what YOU are doing, new friend. I know it can't be easy for you, but I admire you so much for taking care of your wife as long as you could and being at her side every day. I don't you if you're already doing this, but your local Alzheimer's Association is a great place for support.

I also wanted to say to topdown, I'd love to be with y'all. Let me see what my wife and I can work up. If not, you KNOW you're VERY welcome here anytime and my schedule is VERY flexible (HA-HA), so let's please keep in touch.

For Unclejoe: I signed up on Jamkazam and after the holidays, I plan to check into an audio interface and do a little mores studying on what the site has to offer. I see they're still in beta (is that right?), so I want to be careful because I don't do too well with the techie stuff. I see they have a forum, so if I get stuck, I am sure I can get some support there or maybe here if you have time.

So. It's Christmas Eve and I have The good Reverend Horton Heat playing Christmas music (and my wife constantly yelling at me to turn it down), so I'd like to wish all of you new friends and those of you who may remember me from a few years ago, a Peaceful Night tonight and a great "slide" into the New Year next week.

Your Pal

Bill/Siggi

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

It's a tough battle for sure. I hung on as long as I could. We both went to Alzheimer's groups several years ago. Haven't had time recently. Through my experience I have discovered that the care giver has very little time to discuss with anyone how it is really going because the care giver can't always speak the truth when the spouse is constantly with you. This includes doctors visits. It is hard to tell the doctor you are not doing fine if that is the case. The doctor gets a false sense of what is really going on. The caregiver should insist the the doctor talk to them alone after each visit. It only takes a few minutes. I'm surprised doctors haven't thought of this. Keep on strumming my friend

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

15 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-16 07:40:32)

Yup, I used to be Siggi65, named after my bro. I had forgotten that so many of you and I had interacted before until keep it real reminded me of it with a question he had. Back to being the Strummerboy now though. But first, I think it's meaningful in some way [shrugs shoulders] that we got together again and are the same friends. Any meaning to that for anyone else?

Bill

EDITED TO ADD: I guess I'm still as big a motormouth as I was back then, aren't I? smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass