Topic: Dear Friend of Mine

Here's my second song. It's sort of country style. It's more serious than my first one and has a different feel to it. It's played on ukulele. I had a go at recording it with myself singing harmony in the chorus but it came out with quite an echo, so I put it up with just the one voice as well. I'm on soundcloud as mazzy catseyes.

Dear Friend of Mine
3/4 waltz time - strum - Dudd

Intro: [A]  [A7]  [D]     3/4 time

[D] You were my friend, [Dmaj7] [D7] [G] true friends are rare
[A] There are too few who [D] really care
[G] You hold such [Em7] treasures [G] in your heart
And [A] think somehow you'll never [D] part

[D] I thought our sto-[Dmaj7]ry [D7] would [G] go on and on
Be-[A]fore I was ready, [D] you were gone
[G] I thought you'd [Em7] never [G] go away
But [A] destiny called and [D] you couldn't stay [D7]

[G] Where are you now? -[Gb]-[G]  [D] Where are you now? -[Db]-[D]
[A] Dear friend of mine, [D] where are you now? [D7] 
[A] Dear friend of mine, [A7] where are you [D] now?

[D] Life rushes by [Dmaj7] at [D7] a [G] startling pace
And I [A] realise how much I [D] miss your face
[G] I miss your [Em7] smile and your [G] crazy laugh
But [A] you walk a separate [D] path

[D] We shared our thoughts, [Dmaj7] [D7] our [G] joys and our pain
[A] I always hoped that [D] we'd meet again
But [G] life goes [Em7] on, or [G] so they say
[A] Maybe not in the same [D] way [D7]

[A] Dear friend of mine, [A7] where are you [D] now?

[D] You knew the ve-[Dmaj7]-[D7]ry [G] depths of me
But [A] you needed to be [D] free
[G] I could not [Em7] hold a [G] shooting star
Remember [A] me wherever you [D] are [D7]

[A] Dear friend of mine . . . where are . . . [A7] you [D] now?

2 (edited by easybeat 2015-08-11 05:34:02)

Re: Dear Friend of Mine

Mazzy
Great to see ya putting your songs here, Welcome.
We should rename Chordie  `Wellington Songwriters`
there are 6 of us now.I`m trying to get some of these chordians writing now.
good to have ya onboard.

The King Of Audio Torture

mazzy I had echo problem to ,I started listening to play back through ear buds eliminated the problem when playing the second track

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I had the good fortune to hear you play this live last Sunday. Love they way you use the chords. The Key suits you voice really well. Good to see you on chordae.

Thanks for the welcome easybeat. Great to connect with more songwriters.
Thanks for the advice mojo01. The problem I have is recording the second track while the first one is playing. I haven't worked out how to lay down one track over the other. I tried an online programme but it seemed to get stuck about 3/4 of the way through and wouldn't finish the process.
Thanks for the welcome beestie. I've been enjoying listening to your songs and I'm encouraged by your perseverance to try to write some more.

6 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-11 23:53:11)

I am very happy to see such talent brought forth on our site. I don't know of any other place on the net that has the "one on one" help and advice we have here.

If I may, is there a reason you chose "you'll never part" instead of "we'll never part" in that first verse?

I understand the friend is going away, but he/she is going away from someone, right? The singer lets us know that by using "we" in other parts of the song.

Maybe it's a cultural thing, you being from New Zealand, but here it means he or she is splitting up the middle. It isn't incorrect per se, just a bit awkward, in my opinion.

I know. It's a nit-pick isn't it? Hope you won't hold it against me that I'm a bit obsessive compulsive and welcome to our little musical family, mazzy! smile smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Thanks for the feedback Strummerboy Bill.
The reason I used 'you' is that 'you' can also be plural, as in 'the two of you will never part from each other'.
I'll try it out on another group of people in person and see how they react to each way of putting it. It's given me something to think about anyway.
It certainly is good to get constructive feedback like this. We don't always see the awkward parts ourselves.
I'm pleased to have found this site and the helpful people here. Thanks for taking the time to look at my song.

8 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-12 01:23:36)

Thanks for not taking offense, mazzy. smile

Do you perform live? If so, I thought the "you'll.....part" and what I said about that sounding like the person is splitting up the middle may make for some humorous "patter" between you and your audience. Just a suggestion. Keep writing them like that, mazzy. Those are some beautiful words.

Bill

EDITED TO ADD: The penny finally dropped (again). When I inserted the words "you both will...." into that phrase, it made sense. Sometimes one has to lead me around by the nose to make me the sense of things. This time I did it on my own, and that, for me is a small victory of sorts. big_smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Nothing to take offence about - suggestions are useful.
I've only sung my own stuff to other ukesters - but I'll be ready for the patter next time smile.
Many of us here do gigs with a large group aged 5 to 85 - numbers vary as to who is available on the day.
I'm also part of two different small groups that perform regularly in a couple of nursing homes.
Do you have any of your music on soundcloud - if so, what name do you use there?

Heh-Heh. No, mazzy - nothing on soundcloud. One of my first rock groups from 1965 - yeah I'm that old. (with me on drums can be heard on YT by entering "Watchmen 1965" (no quotes) and there's one other "something" which I won't link you to, which has me doing a single and "trying" to play all the parts by overdubbing. It's so unremarkable people won't speak to me after they hear it, so I'll let you write and play 'em, okay? big_smile

All the best

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

It sounds like '65 was a very good year smile

Well, "thank yew, thang yew ver'mush". wink

BIll

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Really nice lyrics to your song.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Hi  Mazzy   to repeat   what  Pete  has  said nice  lyrics .I  liked the  song but  I found  the  echo    a  bit strong ,I  think  it detracts from your natural  singing  voice ,I get  the  impression that  you  recorded in a  room with  a  natural  reverb, maybe  its  a  conservatory   with  a  lot  of  glass I  dont  know but that combined  with  the  uke seems  to  create  a  problem  ,Perhaps  a  change  of  room where  you record  will provide  a more  mellow  sound .I look  forward  to  hearing  your next  song   well done Mazzy

Thankyou bensonp.
Thankyou also Grah1 for your suggestion.
The room had wood floors and glass on two walls - go figure! It's good to learn from each other.
The other problem was that I initially recorded onto a handheld tape recorder then played that while I recorded again onto an MP3-type digital recorder. Obviously not the best way to do it.
I had tried an online programme that was supposed to mix two tracks from the Mp3 thingy, but it only went 3/4 of the way and then stopped. So, I'm still working on it.
I did a recording with just one voice on the MP3 digital recorder and it came out much clearer.

bensonp - I really like your cover of Abraham, Martin and John.

17 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-16 07:27:27)

OMG!!! Peter's got a new one up????? Gotta go see it! BRB!!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlBK6IwOAU

And here he is: Mr. Peter Benson with just as pretty a version of this song as Dion......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqdvFLGwFEM

Oh and mazzy? THIS is the place for comments and advice. If you'll take a look at our "Chordie at Burning Butt" you'll see some folks just sitting around and then all of a sudden some really fine-sounding music comes out of their mouths.

As I have said before, Neil Young wouldn't have looked out of place on that back porch.

Trivia: Did y'all know there used to be a group called The Back Porch Majority? You did?

Okay, extra points if you can name which Rock and then Country Superstar was involved in  it?

Right: Kenny Rogers and he was also in The New Christy Minstrels. Here's a song that features the Minstrels, before Kenny joined. That's Barry McGuire on lead vocals. Remember him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm9__0-8eXQ

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Forgot to tell you, mazzy, that from an intermediate player's view, that song looks really hard to play. You're changing chords in mid-word at one place. Soo.... that leads to the question: How long have you been playing?

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

easybeat wrote:

Mazzy
Great to see ya putting your songs here, Welcome.
We should rename Chordie  `Wellington Songwriters`
there are 6 of us now.I`m trying to get some of these chordians writing now.
good to have ya onboard.

Or the Chordie Kiwis.

okay, I'll stop smile big_smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Forgot to tell you, mazzy, that from an intermediate player's view, that song looks really hard to play. You're changing chords in mid-word at one place. Soo.... that leads to the question: How long have you been playing?

Thanks

Bill

Mazzy is a very good player. We have a few ukulele groups here and at one ( Cafe Ukulele) we purposefully tend to throw in some harder songs to push people. We then laugh at our mistakes while we try to nail the song.  The general attitude is "if you aren't struggling, your not learning". We all tend to do our own thing and no one leads the group. There is nothing more satisfying than realizing you just played through a song that used to give you trouble and didn't even think about it.

Most ukulele groups stick to the easy songs and that's fine but keeping the mix between easy and hard right is a bit more challenging.

Wow! And I always thought that ukes were just "toy guitars"!

I plead a drummer's idiocy and ask forgiveness, please.

We are so fortunate to have you here!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Strummerboy Bill - you're fogriven.

Aaargh - ukuleles are 'proper' musical instruments - and many are at 'proper' prices smile smile smile
I play a kala concert uke made of golden acacia which I has a pickup and preamp on board. I also have (my favourite) Okana vita-uke made of mahogany veneer with a spruce top which gives a lovely light lilting tone to it.

Also - I tried to play guitar in my teens and just managed to break nails and tangle my fingers in the strings. And I couldn't work out how to strum to save myself! So now many (many) years later I've got a second chance to make music and enjoy strumming and singing with other people, which is part of the joy of it all.

I started learning ukulele about two and a half years ago.

As beestie said, we are in a couple of local ukulele group and we enjoy challenging ourselves to learn more. We learn a lot from each other and encourage each other heaps. We are also able to laugh at ourselves (and sometimes at each other) when we make mistakes - that helps to keep it all in perspective and we achieve more by not being precious about it. When you stop trying to be 'perfect' you often end up doing much better than you thought possible. 

On a ukulele, the chords I've used aren't all that difficult. The progression of [D]-[Dmaj7]-[D7] just requires moving the little finger along one fret at a time, one beat at a time, while the index finger holds a bar chord. The two slides, [G]-[Gb]-[G] and [D]-[Db]-[D] are a simple slide back and forth using the same chord shape that you start with, so there's no mad rush to move the fingers about other than moving up and down the fretboard. Changing the chord mid-word just happens with keeping the strum going and moving to the next chord between the beats.

My other song, which is very lighthearted and a bit silly (Marian's Lament) uses some really difficult chords, and lots of them, just to keep me on my toes! But I think I prefer this simpler one.