Topic: Way Off Topic: Can't Sleep

I don't talk about this too much, but when I went to see my Dementia counsellor and my Neuro-Psych doctor about a week ago, I got prescribed a new med called Abilify (It is an adjunct to my current dementia/depression therapy) and it's messing with my sleep, among other things. I'll get to what this has with our music in a moment, so stay tuned. wink

Anyway, when she prescribed it, she also lessened a couple of my other meds and it's having an adverse effect on me, which I "have to ride out" according to her. Long story short, the lack of the meds she cut down on, is making me irritable and nervous and it's not a good feeling, folks. I can tell when it starts when I start getting impatient with the computer when I think it's too slow.

What's this got to do with my music, you're asking: Well, it affects my focus. For example, I'll get the idea to practice my guitar and unless I hurry and pick it up (it's right here in the room with me - not in the music room) the feeling to practice leaves me as quickly as I got it). This happens with a lot of stuff such as rearranging my cd's (a simple thing my doctor wanted me to start with), going through my clothes to see what can go to Goodwill, reading, etc. etc.

So right now it is after 4 am EST and I am wide awake, "talking" to you and "riding out" the side effects of this new medicine. If you are ever prescribed it, be sure to google it and talk to your doctor about it. The reason I agreed to start taking it is because I don't want to undergo ECT.

The only thing that I don't lose focus with is coming here.

So I'm sharing a little more of my batguano-ness with you because I don't have anyone else to share it with and to maybe help me to bear the side effects a little better.

So thanks for letting me vent, as it were, and good night wherever you are. I'm going to my gaming site (World of Warcraft) and I hope the feeling to play doesn't leave me before I can sign off here and get there. smile

I told y'all my life is a sitcom. Maybe now you'll believe me! big_smile big_smile big_smile

Thanks  for letting me vent.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Way Off Topic: Can't Sleep

I get insomnia frequently. It's not fun.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I can relate. my job takes me across 9 time zones every 28 days. so for a week to 10 days every month dealing with jet lag it sucks staring at the ceiling at 2am wide awake

out of tune out of key and out of touch

I don't travel as much as Mojo (wtf do you do for work????), but between having a wife and baby that live 4 hours away half the time and work travel, I have gone as many as 6 weeks on the road with less than 3 days at home. Destroys my ability to really rest. The only thing that helps? Guitar. Even when I'm tired and don't feel like it. smile

5 (edited by beestie 2015-08-13 20:39:20)

I went and saw my doctor a few months ago and got some pills for my depression. He told me all about the side effects like dry mouth and all sorts of other minor things. He completely failed to mention that it would muck up my sex drive completely and also I would feel like I was walking 5 feet behind myself. I run heavy machinery so this was just plain dangerous.  When I checked on the net they were listed as common side effects. I went back and he changed me to a different drug but that one made me feel like I was about to pass out every time I got out of a chair or stood up quickly. Again he failed to mention that it was a side effect. In the end I gave up and flushed the lot. The treatment was worse than the illness. Waking up at two in the morning most nights and thinking about things you can't fix is just the pits. I seem to wake up every two hours most nights but two in the morning is guaranteed .

I can always tell how my depression is going by monitoring my ukulele practice. When it is really bad I don't pick up the uke much. Writing songs, exercise and forcing myself to practice ukulele seems to help but I really have to be hard on myself almost force myself to do it when things are bad.

Used to play WOW as well but gave up as I decided that I needed to focus on my playing music and levelling five 85th level toons up to 90 was going to take too much time and I would be finished just in time for the next expansion to come out.

Feel free to vent. It seems to help me when I do it. Too many people treat depression as a dirty word and a label. Always remember you are not alone. It is amazing how many people will come out of the closet and tell you of their similar experiences. By mentioning it first you help make it ok for them to share as well.

Thanks for sharing that, beestie. You know, at first I hesitated about spilling the beans about my dementia and other health stuff here on Chordie, but I'm  pleased that you and the others have been so welcoming as to reply to my comments and help me out.

I'm of the opinion that getting out into the sunlight is a big help for depression and one of these days I will manage to get outside before "the feeling" leaves me.

As for WoW, if you didn't give up your account look us up sometime. On Lightbringer, I am Hannës or Waldmeister and on Alex it's Wolkenlaufre, and my bank toon is named "Apuckerlips" (sound it out). Another toon of mine is the Night Elf Usumbij.

I thank you for the kind words and advice, [b]beestie]/b].

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

7 (edited by beestie 2015-08-13 23:32:49)

It's stupid. We are willing to talk about a cold or even cancer but dementia or depression are seen as taboo. They will stay that way unless we get out there and talk about it. The New Zealand Government is running a programme to bring it more into the open with adds on TV and a website. John Kerwin is a famous and very successful rugby player and is quite open about his depression and, while I'm not a huge rugby fan, I have a huge amount of respect for someone who puts themselves out there.

There is a big push here to show mental illness as something not to be scared of. If the statistics in the second add are right it is a problem for 1 person in 5. That puts it up there with cancer.

Have a look at this http://www.depression.org.nz/?gclid=CP7 … vQodQ1sCyg

This advert is slightly older, but the replacement advert is not available on youtube yet. I realize most of the people mentioned will be unknown to you but all of them are very special people for a lot of Kiwis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQk8a3-QYKU

What does the Abilify do for you in your case Bill. My wife was never prescribed this. Just wondering

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Well, right now it is making me so jittery I can thread a running sewing machine needle.

I've only been on it for a week, Peter. smile

beestie, thank you. It's the way I have felt for a very long time, and it is why I write my blog. I will take a look at your link. Thanks for that as well, my friend.

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

beestie,

I scored a 13 on JK's test. I tried to sign up, but maybe I haven't got to that part yet. I will try again later. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Depression is really anger,thats what I was told.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Not in my case dino. Not unless you mean anger at ones' self, but I don't seek to be angry, which is why I come here to see you and my other friends, buddy! smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Baldguitardude wrote:

I don't travel as much as Mojo (wtf do you do for work????), but between having a wife and baby that live 4 hours away half the time and work travel, I have gone as many as 6 weeks on the road with less than 3 days at home. Destroys my ability to really rest. The only thing that helps? Guitar. Even when I'm tired and don't feel like it. smile

BGD I am a double naught spy. that will tell your age if you get that one. I work in the oil biddness as we say in Texas

I sure am glad I didn't guess earlier...... I was gonna ask if there were really that many Rodeos still running. smile

Oil is still booming though, spent a bit of time up on the Bakken, and have a good friend working in the Permian.

Say Hey to Granny!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

I sure am glad I didn't guess earlier...... I was gonna ask if there were really that many Rodeos still running. smile

Oil is still booming though, spent a bit of time up on the Bakken, and have a good friend working in the Permian.

Say Hey to Granny!

im afraid granny is no longer with us. I spent 30 years in the gulf of Mexico before I took this assignment and right now the boom has gone bust

When production outstrips the ability to move product, something has got to slow down and let infrastructure catch up.  Wouldn't call it so much a bust as much as a prudent pause. 

I still dabble in renewable energy (purely as a consultant), the paper says ME, but other interests won out...... music just wasn't one of them.

Not losing any sleep over that, and steering clear of any medicos that prescribe stuff that you can't just quit if you want to.  Got one for depression that warned that you should "only stop taking this medication under orders and supervision of your Physician" , followed by the warning "failure to do so can result in irritability, nausea or death.".   Say what!?!  Maybe I should just shoot myself now and avoid all that anger, and vomiting!  Funny thing though, I didn't mention depression..... just wanted something to help me get to sleep once in awhile.  That is just an "off-label" side effect.  Thanks, I'll sip the Brandy and take "Ways to not wake up Dead...... for $400 Alex".  wink

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

17 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2015-08-15 02:59:35)

Hell, Doug,

I've skydived; I've ridden cross country on my Trek1000 (VERY cheap road bike at $700.00) twice and twice almost got killed by 18 wheelers; helped run a guy by the name of Newt Gingrich for State Representative and my best friend for Mayor of our hometown. I've addressed United States Senators about the need for funds for Alzheimer's Research and been here and there.

AT 65, the only thing left I wanna do is smoke some cigarettes. Most of my career as a respiratory therapist, I've preached against smoking, but then I put on the skids when a guy who couldn't get the air out of his lungs, and was about to be put on a ventilator by me, asked to go out for one last cigarette. I let him. He came back got in bed and promptly went into respiratory arrest. I Put a tube down his trachea (hard to see due to the black tar residue), connected him to the vent, but he had smoked too long, and we just couldn't help him. 1990, this was.

Long story short, the family sued the hospital, the doctor and last but not least, me. It was settled out of court, and, after being called onto the carpet by the hospital board and being allowed to explain, I kept my job. One board member, an obvious smoker, clapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "If I'm ever that way, please let me smoke that one last one."

So since that time, until the rest of my career which almost ended in the death of another patient which could have been caused by me due to the dementia, I have promised myself never to tell another adult not to smoke again. Kids under 18? Different story.

People ask me, "But what about the uneducated adults, Bill?"

What "uneducated" adults? Those in the deep Brazilian jungles? Those on the Moon? Every adult by now knows it hurts your body to inhale nicotine and tar. What am I  going to teach them? I think I know how hard it must be to come off of those things, but I refuse to insult someone's intelligence by parroting. "Ya know those things are gonna kill ya!" They know it.

So. Back to the meds, right? Doug my friend, after all of that, some little pill's not going to scare me. Hell, get me off this screwed up planet before I die not being able to get my breath. I'd rather float away as a wisp of air than to endure what we on this poor Earth have done to our home.

Yeah! I wanna smoke when I get close, so I can get that "high" everyone talks about, and then I wanna take LSD and explore that. As long as I am a provider for my sweet wife and cat, you can count on me NOT to do that, but one day, near the end, I might.

Now Doug! What did you just do????? smile smile

You caused me to write an autobiography when all I wanted to do was respond to your response!;) wink

Sorry for the length, everyone, but I couldn't stop 'em (fingers and brain) this time.

Love Y'all

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

18 (edited by beestie 2015-08-17 04:02:41)

There are some interesting points in your post. I've come to the conclusion that  I would rather look back and regret things I have done than look back and wondered what life would be like if I had done thing differently. I played it safe for the first 50 years and worried about what other people thought and always did the sensible and safe things. I gave up worrying about my wife's smoking. I've come to realize that it is my problem, not hers. She's not worried and arguing with her just make us both unhappy. She knows it's bad for her. she just doesn't care.

The dad of my stepdaughter managed to kill himself going outside for a smoke after a triple bypass. They wouldn't let him smoke inside the hospital, so he headed outside and had a heart attack. His family tried to blame the hospital but when it comes down to it, he was a grown man and old enough to make his own mistakes. Here you can't sue the hospital at all.